Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in Pano2QTVR?

  • Thomas Rauscher
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
      > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in Pano2QTVR?
      > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.

      You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the project
      file so for example if you add the line

      preview.quality=40

      in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will be 40.

      --
      MfG,
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        Hi Thomas, seems that doesn't work, I've registered in Pano2QTVR
        forum and I'll continue there.

        thanks for the quick reply

        Dorin

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
        > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
        Pano2QTVR?
        > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
        >
        > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
        project
        > file so for example if you add the line
        >
        > preview.quality=40
        >
        > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
        be 40.

        > --
        > MfG,
        > Thomas

      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,

          If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
          works, I mean if you add the line

          preview.quality=90

          the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
          of 20)
          on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
          still look as 20 quality for preview track

          thanks,
          Dorin

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
          > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
          Pano2QTVR?
          > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
          >
          > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
          project
          > file so for example if you add the line
          >
          > preview.quality=40
          >
          > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
          be 40.

          > --
          > MfG,
          > Thomas

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

            > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,
            >
            > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
            > works, I mean if you add the line
            >
            > preview.quality=90
            >
            > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
            > of 20)
            > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
            > still look as 20 quality for preview track

            Dorin

            I do not have Pano2QTVR but the quality is only for compression.
            As the resolution still is the same , meaning usually very small you may not see much
            difference in the size of the movie.
            If you want to get different resolution for the preview I assume that Pan2QTVR has an
            option for that also like Pano2VR has.

            Hans
          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hi Dorin,

              If I change preview.quality value in .PQP file, the quality is always
              the same, no changes. I use ExtractJpeg program
              http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ to extract files from MOV and
              JPEGsnoop to see quantization tables (DQT marker into Jpeg file)
              http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

              regards!
              fiero

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,
              >
              > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
              > works, I mean if you add the line
              >
              > preview.quality=90
              >
              > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
              > of 20)
              > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
              > still look as 20 quality for preview track
              >
              > thanks,
              > Dorin
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
              > > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
              > Pano2QTVR?
              > > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
              > >
              > > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
              > project
              > > file so for example if you add the line
              > >
              > > preview.quality=40
              > >
              > > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
              > be 40.
              > >
              > > --
              > > MfG,
              > > Thomas

            • dorindxn
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                Thank you Hans and Fiero,

                I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be noticed a
                change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe that
                param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console is
                different and look like working.

                I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I would
                like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-4 MB

                Thank you both for help, I guess, when Thomas will be less bussy will
                investigate too.

                Dorin

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview
                track,

                > > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by
                Thomas
                > > works, I mean if you add the line
                > >
                > > preview.quality=90
                > >
                > > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used
                instead
                > > of 20)
                > > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
                > > still look as 20 quality for preview track
                >
                > Dorin
                >
                > I do not have Pano2QTVR but the quality is only for compression.
                > As the resolution still is the same , meaning usually very small
                you may not see much
                > difference in the size of the movie.
                > If you want to get different resolution for the preview I assume
                that Pan2QTVR has an
                > option for that also like Pano2VR has.
                >
                > Hans

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Hans and Fiero,
                  >
                  > I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                  > preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be noticed a
                  > change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe that
                  > param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console is
                  > different and look like working.
                  >
                  > I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                  > http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                  > where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I would
                  > like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-4 MB

                  I do not believe you win anything by doing this.
                  It just means that the high resolution will not start to download until you have loaded all
                  the preview tiles.
                  It is much better to choose more tiles for example 5x5 and no preview at all. Direct the
                  initial view at an interresting area and people wil get something to see in a few seconds to
                  keep the interest.
                  See here what I mean:
                  This is a 5920x5920 pixels cubefaces. Panorama was 20000x10000

                  23 mb download
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html

                  Hans
                • dorindxn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Thank you Hans, is very good idea and appropriate for you pano, BTW
                    the pano is very good and I guess your reflexion up in candellabre
                    was left intentionally.

                    Deppend on what pano invite te viewer to do, yours surelly call for
                    looking at the details, in my example maybe the invitation is to pan,
                    it will be nice if we will have total control for each tile both on
                    quality and order do download.

                    From my other tests Pano2QTVR has a problem when uses tiles, I've
                    done some test with simple images contain only lines at high quality
                    using tiles apper broken (at pixellsize) When not use tiles (mean sub-
                    tiles) the lines aren't broken.
                    So I've ceased to use the sub-tiles. Maybe the problem is solved in
                    the new Pano2VR though.

                    Thanks again , and extra thanks for allow us to look at those details
                    in that magnificent place.

                    Dorin

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Hans and Fiero,
                    > >
                    > > I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                    > > preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be
                    noticed a
                    > > change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe
                    that
                    > > param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console
                    is
                    > > different and look like working.
                    > >
                    > > I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                    > > http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                    > > where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I
                    would
                    > > like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-
                    4 MB

                    > I do not believe you win anything by doing this.
                    > It just means that the high resolution will not start to download
                    until you have loaded all
                    > the preview tiles.
                    > It is much better to choose more tiles for example 5x5 and no
                    preview at all. Direct the
                    > initial view at an interresting area and people wil get something
                    to see in a few seconds to
                    > keep the interest.
                    > See here what I mean:
                    > This is a 5920x5920 pixels cubefaces. Panorama was 20000x10000
                    >
                    > 23 mb download
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Thomas Rauscher
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Hello, on 04.10.2007 16:32 Uhr fierodeval said the following:
                      > Hi Dorin,
                      >
                      > If I change preview.quality value in .PQP file, the quality is always
                      > the same, no changes. I use ExtractJpeg program
                      > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ to extract files from MOV and
                      > JPEGsnoop to see quantization tables (DQT marker into Jpeg file)
                      > http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

                      Ok I found the problem. The reason is that by default the QTVR Flattener
                      is active and this QuickTime component creates its own preview track and
                      overwrites the track created by Pano2QTVR. You can disable the QTVR
                      flattener with the "Optimization - Rearrange Tiles" checkbox.

                      --
                      MfG,
                      Thomas