How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in Pano2QTVR?

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3 3:41 AM
      How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in Pano2QTVR?
      I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.

      thanks,
      Dorin
    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3 8:08 AM
        Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
        > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in Pano2QTVR?
        > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.

        You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the project
        file so for example if you add the line

        preview.quality=40

        in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will be 40.

        --
        MfG,
        Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3 10:28 AM
          Hi Thomas, seems that doesn't work, I've registered in Pano2QTVR
          forum and I'll continue there.

          thanks for the quick reply

          Dorin

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
          > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
          Pano2QTVR?
          > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
          >
          > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
          project
          > file so for example if you add the line
          >
          > preview.quality=40
          >
          > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
          be 40.

          > --
          > MfG,
          > Thomas

        • dorindxn
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4 5:45 AM
            Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,

            If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
            works, I mean if you add the line

            preview.quality=90

            the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
            of 20)
            on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
            still look as 20 quality for preview track

            thanks,
            Dorin

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
            > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
            Pano2QTVR?
            > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
            >
            > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
            project
            > file so for example if you add the line
            >
            > preview.quality=40
            >
            > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
            be 40.

            > --
            > MfG,
            > Thomas

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4 6:11 AM
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,
              >
              > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
              > works, I mean if you add the line
              >
              > preview.quality=90
              >
              > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
              > of 20)
              > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
              > still look as 20 quality for preview track

              Dorin

              I do not have Pano2QTVR but the quality is only for compression.
              As the resolution still is the same , meaning usually very small you may not see much
              difference in the size of the movie.
              If you want to get different resolution for the preview I assume that Pan2QTVR has an
              option for that also like Pano2VR has.

              Hans
            • fierodeval
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4 7:32 AM
                Hi Dorin,

                If I change preview.quality value in .PQP file, the quality is always
                the same, no changes. I use ExtractJpeg program
                http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ to extract files from MOV and
                JPEGsnoop to see quantization tables (DQT marker into Jpeg file)
                http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

                regards!
                fiero

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview track,
                >
                > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by Thomas
                > works, I mean if you add the line
                >
                > preview.quality=90
                >
                > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used instead
                > of 20)
                > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
                > still look as 20 quality for preview track
                >
                > thanks,
                > Dorin
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello, on 03.10.2007 12:41 Uhr dorindxn said the following:
                > > > How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track in
                > Pano2QTVR?
                > > > I mean to use any value instead of 20 which I guess is default.
                > >
                > > You can change the quality with preview.quality parameter in the
                > project
                > > file so for example if you add the line
                > >
                > > preview.quality=40
                > >
                > > in the "project file" - tab the quality for all preview tiles will
                > be 40.
                > >
                > > --
                > > MfG,
                > > Thomas

              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4 7:55 AM
                  Thank you Hans and Fiero,

                  I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                  preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be noticed a
                  change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe that
                  param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console is
                  different and look like working.

                  I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                  http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                  where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I would
                  like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-4 MB

                  Thank you both for help, I guess, when Thomas will be less bussy will
                  investigate too.

                  Dorin

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all, seems that no luck with different quality for preview
                  track,

                  > > If anyone is kind enough to check if the method described by
                  Thomas
                  > > works, I mean if you add the line
                  > >
                  > > preview.quality=90
                  > >
                  > > the size of .mov file increases (it should be if 90 is used
                  instead
                  > > of 20)
                  > > on my test is no effect at all, mean remain at the same size and
                  > > still look as 20 quality for preview track
                  >
                  > Dorin
                  >
                  > I do not have Pano2QTVR but the quality is only for compression.
                  > As the resolution still is the same , meaning usually very small
                  you may not see much
                  > difference in the size of the movie.
                  > If you want to get different resolution for the preview I assume
                  that Pan2QTVR has an
                  > option for that also like Pano2VR has.
                  >
                  > Hans

                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4 8:36 AM
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Hans and Fiero,
                    >
                    > I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                    > preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be noticed a
                    > change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe that
                    > param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console is
                    > different and look like working.
                    >
                    > I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                    > http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                    > where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I would
                    > like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-4 MB

                    I do not believe you win anything by doing this.
                    It just means that the high resolution will not start to download until you have loaded all
                    the preview tiles.
                    It is much better to choose more tiles for example 5x5 and no preview at all. Direct the
                    initial view at an interresting area and people wil get something to see in a few seconds to
                    keep the interest.
                    See here what I mean:
                    This is a 5920x5920 pixels cubefaces. Panorama was 20000x10000

                    23 mb download
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html

                    Hans
                  • dorindxn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4 9:15 AM
                      Thank you Hans, is very good idea and appropriate for you pano, BTW
                      the pano is very good and I guess your reflexion up in candellabre
                      was left intentionally.

                      Deppend on what pano invite te viewer to do, yours surelly call for
                      looking at the details, in my example maybe the invitation is to pan,
                      it will be nice if we will have total control for each tile both on
                      quality and order do download.

                      From my other tests Pano2QTVR has a problem when uses tiles, I've
                      done some test with simple images contain only lines at high quality
                      using tiles apper broken (at pixellsize) When not use tiles (mean sub-
                      tiles) the lines aren't broken.
                      So I've ceased to use the sub-tiles. Maybe the problem is solved in
                      the new Pano2VR though.

                      Thanks again , and extra thanks for allow us to look at those details
                      in that magnificent place.

                      Dorin

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thank you Hans and Fiero,
                      > >
                      > > I need this for .mov at 12000x6000 when, at 1:2 resolution, the
                      > > preview track become a pano 6000x3000 itself so it must be
                      noticed a
                      > > change in file if the quality is changed from 20 to 90, maybe
                      that
                      > > param is ignored by the compressor, still the log at the console
                      is
                      > > different and look like working.
                      > >
                      > > I managed to use the default 20 in this test pano 12000x6000
                      > > http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html (23 MB, 1 MB of it is audio)
                      > > where the resolution of preview track is 1:1 at 20 quality, I
                      would
                      > > like to have 1:2 at 80 or so to load the preview pano in first 3-
                      4 MB

                      > I do not believe you win anything by doing this.
                      > It just means that the high resolution will not start to download
                      until you have loaded all
                      > the preview tiles.
                      > It is much better to choose more tiles for example 5x5 and no
                      preview at all. Direct the
                      > initial view at an interresting area and people wil get something
                      to see in a few seconds to
                      > keep the interest.
                      > See here what I mean:
                      > This is a 5920x5920 pixels cubefaces. Panorama was 20000x10000
                      >
                      > 23 mb download
                      > http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                      >
                      > Hans

                    • Thomas Rauscher
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 5 7:58 AM
                        Hello, on 04.10.2007 16:32 Uhr fierodeval said the following:
                        > Hi Dorin,
                        >
                        > If I change preview.quality value in .PQP file, the quality is always
                        > the same, no changes. I use ExtractJpeg program
                        > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ to extract files from MOV and
                        > JPEGsnoop to see quantization tables (DQT marker into Jpeg file)
                        > http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

                        Ok I found the problem. The reason is that by default the QTVR Flattener
                        is active and this QuickTime component creates its own preview track and
                        overwrites the track created by Pano2QTVR. You can disable the QTVR
                        flattener with the "Optimization - Rearrange Tiles" checkbox.

                        --
                        MfG,
                        Thomas