Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panorama Printing Services: c-prints are the way to go

  • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Joergen,

      I don't agree with you when you say:

      "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
      and valuable solution."

      The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
      print images.
      The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
      in a mater of decades.

      I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
      If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
      IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
      properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
      Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
      windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

      Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
      and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
      metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
      why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
      aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
      labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

      The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
      but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

      Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
      years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
      being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Carlos Chegado

      Olho de Peixe Lda

      ====================================

    • Jook Leung
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
        is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
        during a dance performance.

        http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

        Jook

        On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

        > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
        > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
        > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
        > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
        > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
        > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
        > need really good files for those printers, since they
        > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
        >
        > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
        > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
        > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
        > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
        >
        > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
        > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
        >
        > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
        > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
        > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
        > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
        > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
        >
        > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
        > show-in-redhook/
        >
        > joergen
        >
        > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
        > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
        > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
        > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
        > > equipment and start test&errors.
        > >
        > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance

        > > removed]

        Jook Leung Photography
        360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
        Web: http://360vr.com
        E-mail: jook@...

      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

          On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

          > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
          > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
          > during a dance performance.

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography/Cinematography
        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            Thank you Jook,

            > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
            > during a dance performance.

            That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
            work, Jook.

            The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
            a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

            GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
            basement (or room) with no windows.

            I have enjoyed this.

            Cheers, Milko

            --
            Milko Amorth
            360° Immersive Imaging

            PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
            Skype me @ vrdundee
            Member of IVRPA.org