Re: Panorama Printing Services: c-prints are the way to go

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I had some OCE (= Cymbolic Science) Lightjet prints made as well, and I
      am very happy with them! Mine were scaled up to a size corresponding
      with 200 dpi and they were VERY sharp (and BIG). Contrast and/or colour
      saturation seem to be a little less then inkjet but very natural. I
      also had them mounted sandwiched between plexiglass and Dibond and I
      can really recommend that too.
      The only thing not perfect were the 'steps' in fine gradients in skies,
      probably caused by the 8-bit colourdepth RIP that was used.
      Mine were done in Amsterdam, the Netherlands by 'Kleurgamma'
      http://www.kleurgamma.com

      Regards,

      erik leeman

      (www.erikleeman.com)
    • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        Joergen,

        I don't agree with you when you say:

        "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
        and valuable solution."

        The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
        print images.
        The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
        in a mater of decades.

        I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
        If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
        IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
        properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
        Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
        windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

        Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
        and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
        metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
        why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
        aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
        labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

        The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
        but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

        Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
        years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
        being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Carlos Chegado

        Olho de Peixe Lda

        ====================================

      • Jook Leung
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
          is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
          during a dance performance.

          http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

          Jook

          On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

          > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
          > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
          > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
          > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
          > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
          > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
          > need really good files for those printers, since they
          > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
          >
          > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
          > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
          > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
          > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
          >
          > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
          > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
          >
          > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
          > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
          > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
          > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
          > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
          >
          > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
          > show-in-redhook/
          >
          > joergen
          >
          > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
          > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
          > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
          > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
          > > equipment and start test&errors.
          > >
          > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance

          > > removed]

          Jook Leung Photography
          360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
          Web: http://360vr.com
          E-mail: jook@...

        • Robert C. Fisher
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

            On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

            > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
            > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
            > during a dance performance.

            Cheers
            Robert C. Fisher
            VR Photography/Cinematography
          • Milko Amorth
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              Thank you Jook,

              > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
              > during a dance performance.

              That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
              work, Jook.

              The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
              a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

              GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
              basement (or room) with no windows.

              I have enjoyed this.

              Cheers, Milko

              --
              Milko Amorth
              360° Immersive Imaging

              PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
              Skype me @ vrdundee
              Member of IVRPA.org