Re: Panorama Printing Services: c-prints are the way to go

  • thomas_krueger_panoviews
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      To have the whole process under control I'm starting to print with a
      HP Z3100 24", and the quality is excellent. Together with a color
      calibrated 26" monitor from NEC this is a fabulous "darkroom".

      Info about durability and lightfastness (>230 years framed under glass):
      http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_HP_Z3100_2007_04_15.pdf
      http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2006/photokina/fs_finearts.pdf

      Good infos and discussions about various printers can be found at the
      forum "Printers, Papers and Inks" in Luminous Landscapes:
      http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

      Thomas
    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I had some OCE (= Cymbolic Science) Lightjet prints made as well, and I
        am very happy with them! Mine were scaled up to a size corresponding
        with 200 dpi and they were VERY sharp (and BIG). Contrast and/or colour
        saturation seem to be a little less then inkjet but very natural. I
        also had them mounted sandwiched between plexiglass and Dibond and I
        can really recommend that too.
        The only thing not perfect were the 'steps' in fine gradients in skies,
        probably caused by the 8-bit colourdepth RIP that was used.
        Mine were done in Amsterdam, the Netherlands by 'Kleurgamma'
        http://www.kleurgamma.com

        Regards,

        erik leeman

        (www.erikleeman.com)
      • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          Joergen,

          I don't agree with you when you say:

          "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
          and valuable solution."

          The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
          print images.
          The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
          in a mater of decades.

          I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
          If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
          IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
          properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
          Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
          windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

          Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
          and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
          metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
          why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
          aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
          labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

          The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
          but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

          Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
          years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
          being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Carlos Chegado

          Olho de Peixe Lda

          ====================================

        • Jook Leung
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
            is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
            during a dance performance.

            http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

            Jook

            On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

            > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
            > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
            > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
            > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
            > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
            > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
            > need really good files for those printers, since they
            > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
            >
            > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
            > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
            > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
            > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
            >
            > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
            > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
            >
            > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
            > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
            > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
            > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
            > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
            >
            > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
            > show-in-redhook/
            >
            > joergen
            >
            > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
            > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
            > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
            > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
            > > equipment and start test&errors.
            > >
            > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance

            > > removed]

            Jook Leung Photography
            360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
            Web: http://360vr.com
            E-mail: jook@...

          • Robert C. Fisher
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

              On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

              > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
              > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
              > during a dance performance.

              Cheers
              Robert C. Fisher
              VR Photography/Cinematography
            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                Thank you Jook,

                > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                > during a dance performance.

                That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
                work, Jook.

                The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
                a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

                GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
                basement (or room) with no windows.

                I have enjoyed this.

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko Amorth
                360° Immersive Imaging

                PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                Skype me @ vrdundee
                Member of IVRPA.org