Re: Panorama Printing Services: c-prints are the way to go

  • Joergen Geerds
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
      over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
      find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
      wide) in almost every city that has a base for
      professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
      wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
      need really good files for those printers, since they
      print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.

      for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
      mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
      dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
      in the back for hanging, and you are done.

      the process is probably the most expensive one, but
      the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.

      my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
      brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
      go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
      the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
      andreas gursky and thomas struth).

      http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-show-in-redhook/

      joergen

      --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:

      > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
      > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
      > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
      > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
      > equipment and start test&errors.
      >
      > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks in advance

      > removed]

    • thomas_krueger_panoviews
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        To have the whole process under control I'm starting to print with a
        HP Z3100 24", and the quality is excellent. Together with a color
        calibrated 26" monitor from NEC this is a fabulous "darkroom".

        Info about durability and lightfastness (>230 years framed under glass):
        http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_HP_Z3100_2007_04_15.pdf
        http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2006/photokina/fs_finearts.pdf

        Good infos and discussions about various printers can be found at the
        forum "Printers, Papers and Inks" in Luminous Landscapes:
        http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

        Thomas
      • erik leeman
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          I had some OCE (= Cymbolic Science) Lightjet prints made as well, and I
          am very happy with them! Mine were scaled up to a size corresponding
          with 200 dpi and they were VERY sharp (and BIG). Contrast and/or colour
          saturation seem to be a little less then inkjet but very natural. I
          also had them mounted sandwiched between plexiglass and Dibond and I
          can really recommend that too.
          The only thing not perfect were the 'steps' in fine gradients in skies,
          probably caused by the 8-bit colourdepth RIP that was used.
          Mine were done in Amsterdam, the Netherlands by 'Kleurgamma'
          http://www.kleurgamma.com

          Regards,

          erik leeman

          (www.erikleeman.com)
        • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            Joergen,

            I don't agree with you when you say:

            "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
            and valuable solution."

            The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
            print images.
            The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
            in a mater of decades.

            I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
            If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
            IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
            properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
            Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
            windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

            Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
            and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
            metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
            why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
            aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
            labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

            The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
            but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

            Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
            years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
            being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Carlos Chegado

            Olho de Peixe Lda

            ====================================

          • Jook Leung
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
              is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
              during a dance performance.

              http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

              Jook

              On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

              > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
              > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
              > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
              > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
              > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
              > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
              > need really good files for those printers, since they
              > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
              >
              > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
              > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
              > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
              > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
              >
              > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
              > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
              >
              > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
              > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
              > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
              > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
              > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
              >
              > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
              > show-in-redhook/
              >
              > joergen
              >
              > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
              > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
              > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
              > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
              > > equipment and start test&errors.
              > >
              > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
              > >
              > > Any ideas?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance

              > > removed]

              Jook Leung Photography
              360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
              Web: http://360vr.com
              E-mail: jook@...

            • Robert C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

                On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

                > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
                > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                > during a dance performance.

                Cheers
                Robert C. Fisher
                VR Photography/Cinematography
              • Milko Amorth
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Thank you Jook,

                  > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                  > during a dance performance.

                  That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
                  work, Jook.

                  The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
                  a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

                  GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
                  basement (or room) with no windows.

                  I have enjoyed this.

                  Cheers, Milko

                  --
                  Milko Amorth
                  360° Immersive Imaging

                  PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                  Skype me @ vrdundee
                  Member of IVRPA.org