Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panorama Printing Services?

  • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hi Michael,

      I own a Large Format Print Shop located in Lisbon, Portugal.
      Our clients upload the files to our servers, we print them and send it
      by post or DHL depending on the client address.
      We can print up to 100" (2,64m) wide by any length (well, the rolls
      usually come in 50m length).
      Usually the limiting factor is not our machines but most clients don't
      have good enough files to print this big!!!
      We charge on average 20 EUR/ Square meter but can be less or more
      depending on the material to be printed on.
      We have many local photographers and digital artists printing their
      works here.

      Contact-me off list if you need more info.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Carlos Chegado

      Olho de Peixe Lda

      ====================================

      ====================================

      Michael Asgian escreveu:

      > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic images in very good
      > quality somewhere? Something like you can see in galleries... I want
      > to let someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole equipment and
      > start test&errors.
      >
      > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > .

    • Joergen Geerds
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
        over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
        find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
        wide) in almost every city that has a base for
        professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
        wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
        need really good files for those printers, since they
        print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.

        for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
        mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
        dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
        in the back for hanging, and you are done.

        the process is probably the most expensive one, but
        the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.

        my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
        brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
        go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
        the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
        andreas gursky and thomas struth).

        http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-show-in-redhook/

        joergen

        --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:

        > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
        > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
        > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
        > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
        > equipment and start test&errors.
        >
        > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance

        > removed]

      • thomas_krueger_panoviews
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          To have the whole process under control I'm starting to print with a
          HP Z3100 24", and the quality is excellent. Together with a color
          calibrated 26" monitor from NEC this is a fabulous "darkroom".

          Info about durability and lightfastness (>230 years framed under glass):
          http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_HP_Z3100_2007_04_15.pdf
          http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2006/photokina/fs_finearts.pdf

          Good infos and discussions about various printers can be found at the
          forum "Printers, Papers and Inks" in Luminous Landscapes:
          http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

          Thomas
        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            I had some OCE (= Cymbolic Science) Lightjet prints made as well, and I
            am very happy with them! Mine were scaled up to a size corresponding
            with 200 dpi and they were VERY sharp (and BIG). Contrast and/or colour
            saturation seem to be a little less then inkjet but very natural. I
            also had them mounted sandwiched between plexiglass and Dibond and I
            can really recommend that too.
            The only thing not perfect were the 'steps' in fine gradients in skies,
            probably caused by the 8-bit colourdepth RIP that was used.
            Mine were done in Amsterdam, the Netherlands by 'Kleurgamma'
            http://www.kleurgamma.com

            Regards,

            erik leeman

            (www.erikleeman.com)
          • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              Joergen,

              I don't agree with you when you say:

              "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
              and valuable solution."

              The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
              print images.
              The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
              in a mater of decades.

              I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
              If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
              IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
              properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
              Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
              windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

              Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
              and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
              metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
              why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
              aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
              labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

              The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
              but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

              Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
              years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
              being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Carlos Chegado

              Olho de Peixe Lda

              ====================================

            • Jook Leung
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
                is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                during a dance performance.

                http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

                Jook

                On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

                > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
                > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
                > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
                > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
                > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
                > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
                > need really good files for those printers, since they
                > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
                >
                > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
                > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
                > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
                > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
                >
                > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
                > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
                >
                > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
                > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
                > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
                > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
                > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
                >
                > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
                > show-in-redhook/
                >
                > joergen
                >
                > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
                > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
                > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
                > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
                > > equipment and start test&errors.
                > >
                > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance

                > > removed]

                Jook Leung Photography
                360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                Web: http://360vr.com
                E-mail: jook@...

              • Robert C. Fisher
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                  And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

                  On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

                  > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
                  > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                  > during a dance performance.

                  Cheers
                  Robert C. Fisher
                  VR Photography/Cinematography
                • Milko Amorth
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                    Thank you Jook,

                    > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                    > during a dance performance.

                    That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
                    work, Jook.

                    The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
                    a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

                    GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
                    basement (or room) with no windows.

                    I have enjoyed this.

                    Cheers, Milko

                    --
                    Milko Amorth
                    360° Immersive Imaging

                    PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                    Skype me @ vrdundee
                    Member of IVRPA.org