Re: [PanoToolsNG] Precision required for nodal point?

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      This is entirely possible.

      I built a wooden panorama head a few years ago as a "prototype," but
      never got around to the next step of refinement. Other than being
      rather larger and heavier than I'd like, it works fine! :)

      Since I thought I might be using different lenses or cameras (and
      because I expected that my "first cut" would not be perfect), I
      included fore and aft + left/right adjustment capability by including
      a couple of "Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter with 2372 Plate"s
      installed at right angles between the camera attachment point and the
      rotating base. The 3273/3272 pair seems to be priced about $45.00-
      50.00 (US).

      [And GOOD LUCK finding the product on the Impossibly Awful To Use
      Manfrotto site. Good Grief!!]

      If you don't mind re-creating your pano head several times ("OK, now
      drill the hole 1/64 inch *lower* this time"), then you don't need
      that stuff.

      Also, my camera is attached by way of a Quick Release Clamp, which
      allows some vertical adjustment.

      If you're using only a single camera and lens, you in theory could
      get away without using such things. You might have to make several
      versions before you decided that your positioning was good enough.

      A very useful tool in all this: a self-leveling Laser plumb/level
      thingy!

      It is easy to pay far too much for such a thing. Hunt around during
      the "holiday/Father's Day sales" times and see what you can find.
      Mine cost about $35.00 (US). The principle is astonishingly
      simple... A horizontal and/or vertical laser line is projected from
      an emitter that is DANGLING from an attachment inside the unit.
      Dangle means pendulum means... GRAVITY is running the show. What a
      deal... thank you Mr. Newton.

      ASSUMING that the little tiny laser emitter was correctly calibrated/
      oriented during manufacture, it will project a *very* accurate
      horizontal or vertical line. Get out your string-and-weight plumb
      bob or 6 foot (2 metre) construction level and challenge the results.

      What this is useful for: Adjusting or Confirming that the center of
      the lens is aligned with the vertical rotation axis (yaw) of the pano
      head. Similarly, that the center of the lens is aligned with the
      *horizontal* rotation axis (pitch) of the pano head.

      That is: you can project a laser line against your pano head, and
      pretty easily see how close the pivot points (holes) you've created
      match up with the center of the lens axis.

      Have Fun!!

      eo

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Monday, October 01, 2007 at 17:04, Erik Krause wrote:

        > > > As always: It depends. If you have structures in the near forground
        > > > it should be more precise than if you shoot in wide open places. For
        > > > general use I'd say 3mm precision is enough. However, if you use a fisheye
        > > > lens the no-parallax-point moves anyway: http://tinyurl.com/94g7c (scroll
        > > > down to Results and look at the Graph)
        > >
        > > My widest lens (wide end of zoom) is 41 mm
        >
        > And which angle do you intend to rotate between shots? Meanwhile I've
        > added the formula to http://wiki.panotools.org/Parallax
        > Some more info and a neat diagram (someone volunteer?) is still
        > missing, but may be it helps...

        The wiki artikle (s.a.) is finished for the time being (diagram still
        missing). You should be able now to estimate what precision you need.
        Interesting thing that the parallax error in the finished panorama
        does not depend (directly) on the used focal length (only on the
        rotation angle between shots and the displacement of the no-parallax
        point).

        Please tell me if there are some errors, since I did the calculation
        all on my own ;-)

        best regards