Panorama Printing Services?

  • Michael Asgian
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
      Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic images in very good quality somewhere? Something like you can see in galleries... I want to let someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole equipment and start test&errors.

      Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks in advance

    • kkcwiebe
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
        Have you tried "Sign Shops" in your area.

        The one I use does an excellent job and uses high-end color calibration
        software.

        They tend to be cheaper than labs while my supplier uses an Epson there are
        many machines like the "roland" devices that can do an amazing job.

        IMHO the higher end wide formats from "roland" printers are the best and use
        UV inks that are even waterproof as well as sunlight safe.

        Kevin

        _____

      • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          Hi Michael,

          I own a Large Format Print Shop located in Lisbon, Portugal.
          Our clients upload the files to our servers, we print them and send it
          by post or DHL depending on the client address.
          We can print up to 100" (2,64m) wide by any length (well, the rolls
          usually come in 50m length).
          Usually the limiting factor is not our machines but most clients don't
          have good enough files to print this big!!!
          We charge on average 20 EUR/ Square meter but can be less or more
          depending on the material to be printed on.
          We have many local photographers and digital artists printing their
          works here.

          Contact-me off list if you need more info.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Carlos Chegado

          Olho de Peixe Lda

          ====================================

          ====================================

          Michael Asgian escreveu:

          > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic images in very good
          > quality somewhere? Something like you can see in galleries... I want
          > to let someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole equipment and
          > start test&errors.
          >
          > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > .

        • Joergen Geerds
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
            I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
            over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
            find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
            wide) in almost every city that has a base for
            professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
            wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
            need really good files for those printers, since they
            print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.

            for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
            mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
            dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
            in the back for hanging, and you are done.

            the process is probably the most expensive one, but
            the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.

            my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
            brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
            go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
            the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
            andreas gursky and thomas struth).

            http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-show-in-redhook/

            joergen

            --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:

            > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
            > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
            > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
            > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
            > equipment and start test&errors.
            >
            > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks in advance

            > removed]

          • thomas_krueger_panoviews
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              To have the whole process under control I'm starting to print with a
              HP Z3100 24", and the quality is excellent. Together with a color
              calibrated 26" monitor from NEC this is a fabulous "darkroom".

              Info about durability and lightfastness (>230 years framed under glass):
              http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_HP_Z3100_2007_04_15.pdf
              http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2006/photokina/fs_finearts.pdf

              Good infos and discussions about various printers can be found at the
              forum "Printers, Papers and Inks" in Luminous Landscapes:
              http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

              Thomas
            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                I had some OCE (= Cymbolic Science) Lightjet prints made as well, and I
                am very happy with them! Mine were scaled up to a size corresponding
                with 200 dpi and they were VERY sharp (and BIG). Contrast and/or colour
                saturation seem to be a little less then inkjet but very natural. I
                also had them mounted sandwiched between plexiglass and Dibond and I
                can really recommend that too.
                The only thing not perfect were the 'steps' in fine gradients in skies,
                probably caused by the 8-bit colourdepth RIP that was used.
                Mine were done in Amsterdam, the Netherlands by 'Kleurgamma'
                http://www.kleurgamma.com

                Regards,

                erik leeman

                (www.erikleeman.com)
              • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Joergen,

                  I don't agree with you when you say:

                  "I print my panoramas as digital c-prints................longest lasting
                  and valuable solution."

                  The RA4 C-Process is not the safest neither the long lasting way to
                  print images.
                  The dyes used in the C-Process change over time and color will fade away
                  in a mater of decades.

                  I am not that old but I have seen many color photographs faded.
                  If you where talking about processing the images on CibaChrome,
                  IlfordChrome or the like, well, those where processes that if made
                  properly indeed had very good fade resistance. I used to process my own
                  Ciba's and still have pristine images framed and displayed close to
                  windows in my home, RA4 it's another story.

                  Another thing I don't like about the RA4 C-Process is the chemical waist
                  and pollution it generates, even with machines recovering the heavy
                  metals from the waist liquid, the thing is a mess and I don't understand
                  why is such a process still allowed in a modern world, messing with very
                  aggressive chemicals and dumping them away in the drain as most of the
                  labs do it's a thing of the past imo.

                  The bottom line is every color pigment or dye eventually will fade away
                  but dyes will fade faster than pigment ink.

                  Even the B&W process has it's pitfalls, many pictures of mine made 20
                  years ago start to show yellow spots probably due to the images not
                  being sufficiently washed after the fixing process.

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Carlos Chegado

                  Olho de Peixe Lda

                  ====================================

                • Jook Leung
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                    I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
                    is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                    during a dance performance.

                    http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

                    Jook

                    On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

                    > I print my panoramas as digital c-prints, skipping
                    > over messy stuff like inkjets and such. you should
                    > find a OCE lightjet or Lamda printer (up to 72 inch
                    > wide) in almost every city that has a base for
                    > professional photographers. NYC has at least 4 72inch
                    > wide "printers" like this. but keep in mind that you
                    > need really good files for those printers, since they
                    > print with light at 300 dpi on photopaper.
                    >
                    > for mounting, i use nothing else but diasec: face
                    > mounted photopaper against plexiglass, and backed by
                    > dibond, alu or sintra. then they get a alu framework
                    > in the back for hanging, and you are done.
                    >
                    > the process is probably the most expensive one, but
                    > the nicest, longest lasting and valuable solution.
                    >
                    > my 96x40inch panoramas are hanging in redhook,
                    > brooklyn right now, in case you wanna see. but you can
                    > go to your nearest photo museum and should find all
                    > the big&good stuff mounted in this fashion (like
                    > andreas gursky and thomas struth).
                    >
                    > http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-
                    > show-in-redhook/
                    >
                    > joergen
                    >
                    > --- Michael Asgian <michaelasgian@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Anyone has any exprience in printing panoramic
                    > > images in very good quality somewhere? Something
                    > > like you can see in galleries... I want to let
                    > > someone do ths for me rather than buy the whole
                    > > equipment and start test&errors.
                    > >
                    > > Size? As big as possible... 60x20 or even bigger.
                    > >
                    > > Any ideas?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks in advance

                    > > removed]

                    Jook Leung Photography
                    360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                    Web: http://360vr.com
                    E-mail: jook@...

                  • Robert C. Fisher
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
                      And who is peeking out from behind Joregen?

                      On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

                      > I visited the BWAC show on Sunday to see Joregen's panoramas and here
                      > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                      > during a dance performance.

                      Cheers
                      Robert C. Fisher
                      VR Photography/Cinematography
                    • Milko Amorth
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Thank you Jook,

                        > is a 360VR of one the his prints on exhibit. The 360 pano was taken
                        > during a dance performance.

                        That is a very nice intimate capture. A virtual vernissage. Excellent
                        work, Jook.

                        The pano installation looks awesome....it could pass as a real window with
                        a view to the city, no doubt. Outstanding work, Joergen.

                        GIGA pixel pano. That is how you bring million dollar views into a
                        basement (or room) with no windows.

                        I have enjoyed this.

                        Cheers, Milko

                        --
                        Milko Amorth
                        360° Immersive Imaging

                        PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                        Skype me @ vrdundee
                        Member of IVRPA.org