QTVR Player Dead?

  • Aaron Spence
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30 10:45 PM
      Can I be the first to declare Quicktime, as a QTVR player, dead?

      http://flashpanoramas.com/blog/

      Dennis now has his Flash Panorama Player (FPP) natively playing
      QTVR.mov's with preview tiles etc working perfectly. The user does not
      require Quicktime on their system, only flash 9. I haven't used
      Quicktime for a while, but now we can play QTVR .mov's back via FPP
      what need is there for the QTVR playback engine of Quicktime?

      Let's not forget the really good 'tour' functionality Dennis has built
      into FPP as well. Kills Quicktime in the QTVR arena.

      Amazing stuff, you can check out a demo on the blog, with the latest
      player (2.2) out next week.

      Aaron.
      www.pano.com.au
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30 11:41 PM
        No, I called it a few months ago. :-)

        Sorry.

        Sacha Griffin
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30 11:48 PM
          Hmmm... I should point out that Fieros brilliant DevalVR
          http://devalvr.com/ (The best VR player there is IMHO, with its 250kb
          size and silky smooth hardware acceleration) has been able to play
          QTVR.mov's for a long time.

          In fact on my Vista64 system (and the XP64 system before that) I use
          DevalVR to play back QTVR as Quicktime can't do it.
          (Special DevalVR version set up as the default player for .mov's)

          But, FPP 2.2 is special 'cause it has the installed user base of Flash
          + the ability to play QTVR's. No hardware acceleration, but we can't
          have everything.

          Aaron.
        • Aaron Spence
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30 11:50 PM
            > No, I called it a few months ago. :-)
            >
            > Sorry.

            G'day Sacha, I must have missed that call ;) So I guess FPP playing
            QTVR adds some extra nails to the coffin?

            Aaron.
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
              For legacy content I would say so.

              Its an amazing time, not to have to worry about plugins any more or even
              detection scripts.

              Except for the spiv viewer, which can do some interesting things too that
              flash can't do, you can forget about the rest.

              Sacha Griffin
              www.southern-digital.com
              www.seeit360.net
              www.ezphotosafe.com
              404-551-4275
              404-731-7798

              _____

              G'day Sacha, I must have missed that call ;) So I guess FPP playing
              QTVR adds some extra nails to the coffin?

              Aaron.

            • William Donelson
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                Well, it always crashes Safari on my Mac, so not "pefectly".

                Safari 2.0.4, OSX 10.4.10, dual G4 with 2 GB RAM.

              • panokaemena@mac.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                  With all attempts to kill QT you have to consider that is still the
                  best software which works on WIN and MACOS
                  Deval is only WIN ;(

                  Willy

                  On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:48, Aaron Spence wrote:

                  > Hmmm... I should point out that Fieros brilliant DevalVR
                  > http://devalvr.com/ (The best VR player there is IMHO, with its 250kb
                  > size and silky smooth hardware acceleration) has been able to play
                  > QTVR.mov's for a long time.
                  >
                  > In fact on my Vista64 system (and the XP64 system before that) I use
                  > DevalVR to play back QTVR as Quicktime can't do it.
                  > (Special DevalVR version set up as the default player for .mov's)
                  >
                  > But, FPP 2.2 is special 'cause it has the installed user base of Flash
                  > + the ability to play QTVR's. No hardware acceleration, but we can't
                  > have everything.
                  >
                  > Aaron.

                • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                    But all Macs have QT< right? So, with DevalVR as a plugin to view QTs on
                    PCs one can put only QTs on the site - or at least this is the way I
                    thought it should be, in this case (please, correct me if I´m wrong).
                    Regards,
                    Rodolpho Pajuaba

                    panokaemena@... escreveu:
                    > With all attempts to kill QT you have to consider that is still the
                    > best software which works on WIN and MACOS
                    > Deval is only WIN ;(
                    >
                    > Willy

                  • Carel
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                      Rodolpho Pajuaba-2 wrote:

                      > But all Macs have QT< right? So, with DevalVR as a plugin to view QTs on
                      > PCs one can put only QTs on the site - or at least this is the way I
                      > thought it should be, in this case (please, correct me if I´m wrong).
                      > Regards,
                      > Rodolpho Pajuaba

                      DevalVR also provides great javascript, to check the available plugin on a
                      browser and serve up the pano in that format. One of the great assets of
                      Fiero's detectvr.js is that you can also set the max display size and limits
                      to aspect ratio, so that your carefully prepared panorama does not look
                      distorted on those new jumbo widescreen LCDs.

                      Carel