RE: [PanoToolsNG] 360XSS - what's next?

  • Chris Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
      Yuv ...and fellow "listers"

      First off .. Thanks for tackling this difficult problem.

      As I grapple with a business plan to make high-end Panos profitable; I think
      I need the following:

      Host on my server or your server.
      Encryption and time limited files such as Immervision is offering with Pure
      Player,
      when it expires, it no longer works.
      Billing interface to license copyright for 1,3,6 or 12 month period....
      Automated e-mail based notification of approaching copyright expiration for
      the client with interface to renew license.

      I would buy into the player pecking order customization
      Thumbnail customization.
      I need to know more about the Google connection.

      I wouldn't want anything that would require me to give Google any copyrights
      whatsoever with their present policy, which I consider an "Intellectual
      Property Rights Grab"!

      Seemless processing sounds great.

      Tours.... not a big priority for me, but no doubt will come in handy for
      clients that insist.

      Plug-in.... yes please

      On the business model

      Let's start with a question....

      How do we pay for the server traffic?

      This has to be passed on to the client or it will kill us!
      If we do our job and our multi-national clients starts sending our server
      requests to deliver a thousand 2.5 mb files a day.... you get the point...!

      Whether the files are on your server or mine.... we must make money on each
      file transfer or we'll be working for our web hosters! With this model; I
      don't think Advertising would work.... because we're providing an invisible
      "back-end".

      With an automated per download billing system, we would have the ultimate
      one-stop solution for our clients based on fair market valuation for server
      traffic and our own copyright infrastructure with encryption, expiration
      notification and renewal!

      I would not have a problem paying $750.00/year for such service/license.
      That's if it's on my servers.

      On your server..... do you really want that responsibility?
      If your concept is successful, you're going to need your own server farm
      with a humongus big pipe! Triple fail-over, security, etc and lots of
      insurance to protect you from your own customers and their clients. Lots of
      people have built very successful business doing just this. I just ask the
      question.... for you personally it will take a big commitment that you
      should only undertake if that's where your passion is.

      Thanks again for addressing this "implimentation minefield".

      Best regards

      Chris Thomas

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
        Wordpress, please!

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yuval Levy <yahoo06@...> wrote:

        > thanks everybody for testing and feedback. a newer version has been
        > uploaded that corrects a few small issues. detection of FreePV
        (Linux)
        > is now working (though in the dropdown it still shows QuickTime and
        > Shockwave-SPi-V by design since FreePV is designed to show this
        content)
        > and false positives with the Totem QuickTime plug-in for Linux.
        >
        > There are a number of directions in which development can move and
        > would like to solicit comments/feedback. Please influence in which
        > direction I develop!
        >
        > 1. the back-end is currently hard-coded to a specific layout on the
        > server. however it is possible to relax that hard-coding and use
        sources
        > on *any* third party server. Imagine: your VR are safely stored on
        > webspace you control - any shared/dedicated/colocated webspace is
        game.
        > The XSSpano injects your VR on sites you want.
        >
        > 2. the keys in the front-end are not implemented yet. imagine: a
        website
        > wants to license your pano for display. they go online, ask for a
        code.
        > you get the request, approve the transaction, they swipe their
        credit
        > card and you get royalties for every month that the pano is shown.
        >
        > 3. seamless processing. so you got that wonderful high resolution
        > equirectangular - after all shooting and stitching is the art. the
        rest
        > is tedious work. imagine: you upload your equirects and the server
        > generates all output formats for you, either to be stored and
        served
        > from the server itself, or (point 1) to be zipped for you to
        download
        > into any webspace.
        >
        > 4. the tour editor. a wysiwyg editor to build entire tours that can
        be
        > delivered with the same simplicity as the single VR posted
        yesterday.

        > 5. pecking order customization: for website owners to decide which
        VR
        > technology is used first.
        >
        > 6. thumbnail customization: different shapes and sizes of thumbnail.
        >
        > 7. the map: the marriage of two XSS techniques. put an XSS pano on
        the
        > GoogleMap.
        >
        > 8. plugins for CMS and Blogs - Typo3/Drupal/Joomla/MediaWiki/
        Wordpress ?
        > which one first, if any?
        >
        > any other feature *you* could think of? what is your preference?
        which
        > one should I develop next? Andrei has already expressed some
        interesting
        > ideas publicly and others have written interesting stuff in private.
        >
        > last but not least, I'd like to request comments on a business
        > proposition: what would be for you the value of such a publishing
        > system? assume the VRs are hosted on your webspace totally under
        your
        > control; assume the system takes care of digital right management
        and VR
        > injection into the hosting website - like an agent representing
        your
        > content. Would you prefer a flat yearly or monthly fee? a yearly
        fee per
        > pano? a commission on the royalties generated for you? a mix of
        both? of
        > course you'd like to have that for free, but that's not an option.
        > need to earn my bread somewhere, and after all panorama
        photographers
        > pay some money for other publishing tools.
        >
        > Feedback and comments welcome
        >
        > Yuv

      • Nicolas Burtey
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
          I'm looking for a blog. And I think I'll go on wordpress too. So ...
        • Yuval Levy
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2007
            Hi Chris (and everybody else)

            thanks for your feedback. this is just a quick note to say that progress
            is coming. I am currently in California for Google's Summer of Code
            mentor summit and to visit a few panorama photographer (if you are in
            the L.A. area, contact Roger Howard for details on a 360 BBQ).

            COMING SOON (in this order of priority)
            - MediaWiki plugin (beta works)
            - WordPress plugin (thanks Bert Vierstra, alpha works)
            - Panos served from your webspace

            but first - it's party time at Google!

            Yuv

          • Nicolas Burtey
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
              Hello

              can you tell me what will do the plug-in for WordPress exactly ?

              Thanks,
              Nicolas
            • Yuval Levy
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2007
                Nicolas Burtey wrote:
                > can you tell me what will do the plug-in for WordPress exactly ?

                if I'm inspired enough, demo early next week. the bad weather helps.
                short description: a pano tag that is conceptually similar to an image
                tag and makes it very easy to add a VR from any webspace on the web o
                you blog.

                Yuv
              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Sometime around 11/10/07 (at 18:40 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                  >if I'm inspired enough, demo early next week. the bad weather helps.

                  Suddenly we're all praying for rain for your part of the world...
                  No promises, but this could even push me into maintaining a blog! ;-)

                  What VR format(s) would this deal with?

                • Nicolas Burtey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
                    > >if I'm inspired enough, demo early next week. the bad weather helps.

                    Cool !

                    > Suddenly we're all praying for rain for your part of the world...
                    > No promises, but this could even push me into maintaining a blog! ;-)
                    >
                    > What VR format(s) would this deal with?

                    I hope it will work for Flash Panorama !

                    regards,
                    Nicolas
                  • Yuval Levy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 14, 2007
                      Keith Martin wrote:
                      > Suddenly we're all praying for rain for your part of the world...

                      was kind of mixed - bad enough to keep me coding.

                      <http://dru2.xenaura.com/blog/2007/10/14/3/>

                      the above is a temporary WordPress Mu install. You can see the initial
                      prototype of the plugin at work. (and two panoramas, one from the Google
                      Summer of Code Mentor Summit and one

                      > No promises, but this could even push me into maintaining a blog! ;-)

                      it will get me to start one after staying on the sidelines for so long.

                      > What VR format(s) would this deal with?

                      *ANY* (and if one is not supported, I am a feedback-taker).

                      Details will follow.

                      Today marked also another success: with some small limitations (that I
                      am working to get over), the injection code can now take panos from
                      wherever in cyberspace and put them on any host page.

                      web2.0 at its best!

                      Yuv