Re: Viewer technology (was: Getting started with QTVRs)

  • Yili Zhao
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 29, 2007
      Hi Helmut,
      Helmut wrote:
      > As to PTViewer and its derivatives: It is fastest with equirectangular
      > images. It could be faster in cubic mode but isn't because it (a)
      > doesn't make use of hardware acceleration and (b) uses a flexible but
      > inefficient way to decode the cubic faces. This is reversed in
      > PTViewerME (PTViewer for cellphones).

      Could PTViewer also make use of hardware acceleration in cubic mode?
      Because Java Applet is also can use OpenGL for hardware acceleration
      through JOGL ( Java Binding for the OpenGL API,
      https://jogl.dev.java.net/).
      --
      Yili Zhao
    • hd_de_2000
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 29, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Yili Zhao" <panovr@...> wrote:

        > Could PTViewer also make use of hardware acceleration in cubic mode?
        > Because Java Applet is also can use OpenGL for hardware acceleration
        > through JOGL ( Java Binding for the OpenGL API,
        > https://jogl.dev.java.net/).
        > --

        Hi Yili Zhao

        this is probably quite easy to implement, especially if you start
        with PTViewerME. This version is based on m3g which is basically
        a subset of opengl.

        Regards

        Helmut Dersch
      • yi_li_zhao
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 30, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hd_de_2000" <der@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Yili Zhao" <panovr@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Could PTViewer also make use of hardware acceleration in cubic
          mode?
          > > Because Java Applet is also can use OpenGL for hardware
          acceleration
          > > through JOGL ( Java Binding for the OpenGL API,
          > > https://jogl.dev.java.net/).
          > > --
          >
          > Hi Yili Zhao
          >
          > this is probably quite easy to implement, especially if you start
          > with PTViewerME. This version is based on m3g which is basically
          > a subset of opengl.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Helmut Dersch

          Hi Helmut,
          as considering M3G which is based on "Scene Graph" structure above
          low level OpenGL API, I think maybe Java3D
          (https://java3d.dev.java.net, is also Scene Graph based) is more
          suitable. And thanks for the release of PTViewerME.

          Sincerely
          Yili Zhao