Are panoramas derivitive?

  • Mathew Hargreaves
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
      One point that should be considered: Why bother to copyright the
      source images for the panorama?
      To me, the panorama is meant to be the finished image that gets
      displayed. It is the one I would prefer to register for protection. The
      source images are the building blocks that the finished images is built
      from. And that finished image generally requires extra work to create a
      visual work for public display; stitching error corrections, color
      corrections, final cropping for balance, and final preparation for the
      method of visual display - be it computer or via film print. It is that
      completed whole that has worth.
      The source images, both unaltered raw files and tiff outputs, are
      kept stored away as backing documentation. Likewise, I also have each
      version of the stitched image as I work on it. These are stored for
      retrieval if I want to rework the stitch photo from any stage, or even
      when a stitching error that was missed can only be fixed by doing a new
      stitched panorama.
      Should there need to be legal action, all of these stored files are
      backing documentation for an attack on the thief. They will not have
      these dated files, especially the original camera raw file data which
      will have important information, that is if they are digital.
      If the finished pano was a painting, who would attempt to copyright
      the brushes used, the different paints, and the canvas. Would the
      finished painting be derivitive of the supplies used? :-)

      CHEERS...Mathew
    • Chris Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
        I agree Mathew....

        The legal minds will be confused for a while as "VR Art" is too new.
        Without "precedent" legal minds will fall into endless arguments.

        Let common sense rule in new territory, please....

        regards

        Chris Thomas
        Photographer
        cell... 403-615-1212
        In North America
        call... 1-800-870-5110
        http://www.christhomas.com

        One point that should be considered: Why bother to copyright the
        source images for the panorama?
        To me, the panorama is meant to be the finished image that gets
        displayed. It is the one I would prefer to register for protection. The
        source images are the building blocks that the finished images is built
        from. And that finished image generally requires extra work to create a
        visual work for public display; stitching error corrections, color
        corrections, final cropping for balance, and final preparation for the
        method of visual display - be it computer or via film print. It is that
        completed whole that has worth.
        snip
      • Mathew Hargreaves
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
          Hi Chris,

          Beware the use of the phrase "common sense". I feel the
          intelligence level of the average person is much degraded over the
          years. It seems "intellegent sense" or "thoughtful sense" would be
          better.
          And possibly due to the world of lawyers, who spin the meanings of
          words into a convoluted mess. It all violates the k.i.s.s. rule. :-)

          CHEERS...Mathew
        • Chris Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
            Point taken!
            but I think this group is above average, on thoughtfulness... therefor:
            we have a responsibility to provide leadership as well as creativity!

            LOL

            Regards
            chris

            Chris Thomas