Re: [PanoToolsNG] Enblend performance?

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 25, 2007
      paul womack wrote:
      > (that he thought he knew how to speed up Enblend)
      >
      > Well, I don't. After some research, and substantial
      > help from some members of this forum, here are my findings
      > (summary at the end)
      > Conclusion: enblend does a LOT of maths, in addition to IO.
      >
      > With regards to IO, best practise is to do rows then
      > columns (at least for the sort of rectangular panos I
      > was testing), and use the -a flag.
      >
      > In practise, it appears that EITHER of the approaches will suffice,
      > which means that a single call with -a will serve quite well.

      Hmm. I have now done my own first pano
      (more questions in other posts will follow).

      The output was 3683 by 9779 (or 9779 x 3683)

      Merged screen shot of pano previews here:
      http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/?action=view¤t=doc.jpg

      The enblend time was 90 minutes on my laptop,
      thrashing the nuts off the disc.

      Acting on a well informed hunch, I used ImageMagick
      to generate 90 degree rotated cropped tiffs, and blended these
      (making the seams horizontal).

      enblend time 5 minutes!!

      I think the difference is the size of an individual scan line
      in the final output image, causing bad paging behaviour,
      which is what I suspected all along.

      Since I haven't managed to compile enblend,
      I can't analyse much further.

      It's just too frustratingm, since a simple compile
      with -f would give answers "on a plate"

      BugBear