Re: The BWAC show opens next week Sept 29

  • Joergen Geerds
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
      Hi Jook,

      thx for the bump. I've hung the work, and it looks
      pretty sweet, facemounted to plexi. and i just bought
      a couple of magnifying glasses so see some more
      details, because there's no noise or grain in the
      images whatsoever.

      i'm glad you will come on sunday, saturday will be a
      busy day, since a local TV station is coming by and I
      have to give a little interview.

      cu there
      joergen

      http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-show-

      > in-redhook/
      >

      > Regards,
      > Jook
      >

      > Jook Leung Photography
      > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
      > Web: http://360vr.com
      > E-mail: jook@...
      > Mobile: 201 679 6177

      Got a little couch potato?
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
        Hi Joergen,

        > thx for the bump. I've hung the work, and it looks
        > pretty sweet, facemounted to plexi. and i just bought
        > a couple of magnifying glasses so see some more
        > details, because there's no noise or grain in the
        > images whatsoever.

        I sure would love to see that installation. Awesome gigapanos from what i
        can see on your blog.
        Please encourage Jook to take a VR to share the installation virtually.
        That be great.
        Jook, please do a VR if you can.

        Have fun.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging

        PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
        Skype me @ vrdundee
        Member of IVRPA.org
      • Alexander Feldmann
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
          Hi,

          I have been able to shoot panoramas at last weeks IAA (International motor
          show) in Frankfurt.
          I was aware upfront that the light would not be the best and the pictures
          require longer exposure times which is no problem as long as there are no
          cars on rotating platforms around (they do have a lot of them) so I had to
          come up with some working mixture of exposure time, aperture and stuff like
          that.
          What I did not expect was the fact that nearly every exhibitor has built his
          own floor on top of the concrete floor of the exhibition hall. These floors
          are shaking like mad whenever somebody is walking on them, therefore
          completely killing the chance of creating pictures with exposures of 1/20 or
          so. Does anyone have an idea how to work in such conditions? I made some
          test shoots with an image stabilized lens (Nikon DX AFS 18-200 mm ED) and
          this really does give better results. But I would like to use the lenses I
          already have and like (10.5 mm fisheye) which do not come as image
          stabilized versions. I was thinking about something to pad the tripod so the
          vibrations do not get transferred or something like that. Any ideas?

          Thanks,
          Alex
        • Alexander Feldmann
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
            By the way, anyone coming to Munich for the Octoberfest in the next two
            weeks? If so, feel free to drop me a line if you would like to meet for a
            beer or so ;-)

            Cheers,
            Alex

            Alexander Feldmann
            location earth
            Fuerstenrieder Str. 279a
            81377 Munich
            Germany
            Phone: ++49-89-741 20 223
            Fax: ++49-89-719 09 761
          • hoylekoontz
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Feldmann" <alex@...> wrote:

              I was thinking about something to pad the tripod so the
              > vibrations do not get transferred or something like that. Any ideas?

              Perhaps a gyro stabilization head would come in handy. Not sure how
              to mount the gyro between the tripod and camera. I've only seen them
              used hand-held.

              Let us know what type of solution you come up with.

              Hoyle
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hoylekoontz" <hkoontz@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps a gyro stabilization head would come in handy. Not sure how
                > to mount the gyro between the tripod and camera. I've only seen them
                > used hand-held.

                The gyro wouldnt stabilize movements - translations - (just rotations).
                And only two axes. You could fix it to a camera and support the
                assembly with elastic cords to a hoop which is attached to a pano head
                on the tripod to isolate the vibration but that is a hassle.
                I have a gyro (Kenyon) but dont use it much for panos.

                Peter
              • Chris Thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
                  In practical terms:

                  Crank the speed all the way up,

                  or

                  Use a tripod/cable release

                  Use a good noise reduction technique.

                  Chris Thomas

                  Photographer

                  cell... 403-615-1212

                  In North America

                  call... 1-800-870-5110

                  > Perhaps a gyro stabilization head would come in handy. Not sure how
                  > to mount the gyro between the tripod and camera. I've only seen them
                  > used hand-held.

                  The gyro wouldnt stabilize movements - translations - (just rotations).
                  And only two axes. You could fix it to a camera and support the
                  assembly with elastic cords to a hoop which is attached to a pano head
                  on the tripod to isolate the vibration but that is a hassle.
                  I have a gyro (Kenyon) but dont use it much for panos.

                  Peter

                • Fung Yu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
                    Or do the simplest thing by arranging with the organizers
                    to either be there before the trade show opens or after it
                    closes for the day. This of course will not show any visitors.

                    Regards,

                    At 04:45 AM 9/25/2007, you wrote:

                    >Hi,
                    >
                    >I have been able to shoot panoramas at last weeks IAA (International motor
                    >show) in Frankfurt.
                    >I was aware upfront that the light would not be the best and the pictures
                    >require longer exposure times which is no problem as long as there are no
                    >cars on rotating platforms around (they do have a lot of them) so I had to
                    >come up with some working mixture of exposure time, aperture and stuff like
                    >that.
                    >What I did not expect was the fact that nearly every exhibitor has built his
                    >own floor on top of the concrete floor of the exhibition hall. These floors
                    >are shaking like mad whenever somebody is walking on them, therefore
                    >completely killing the chance of creating pictures with exposures of 1/20 or
                    >so. Does anyone have an idea how to work in such conditions? I made some
                    >test shoots with an image stabilized lens (Nikon DX AFS 18-200 mm ED) and
                    >this really does give better results. But I would like to use the lenses I
                    >already have and like (10.5 mm fisheye) which do not come as image
                    >stabilized versions. I was thinking about something to pad the tripod so the
                    >vibrations do not get transferred or something like that. Any ideas?
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Alex
                  • Peter Braatz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                      Hi Alexander,

                      ... just keep of those constructions :-)

                      http://www.360pixel.de/360pixel/index.php?s=IAA

                      Regards - Peter/360pixel.de
                    • Joergen Geerds
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007

                        --- Jook Leung <jook@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Joergen,
                        >
                        > I'm looking forwarded to seeing your work at the
                        > BWAC next week,
                        > planning to go next Sunday 9/30.
                        >
                        > http://www.bwac.org/
                        > The show opens Saturday, September 29, and is open
                        > until October 28
                        > each Saturday and Sunday, 1-6PM.

                        http://newyorkpanorama.com/2007/09/14/panoramas-at-the-bwac-art-show-in-redhook/

                        > Regards,
                        > Jook
                        >

                        > Jook Leung Photography
                        > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                        > Web: http://360vr.com
                        > E-mail: jook@...
                        > Mobile: 201 679 6177

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                      • Neil Miller
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                          Hi all, my new tokina fisheye is coming to me by DHL in the next few days. Now I have a whole new ballgame to learn.

                          I have never tried a panno with a fisheye, just my point and shoot with a zillion images.

                          Please bear with my while I ask some um, "silly" questions....

                          I know now I can take like 6 around, 1 up and 1 down minus the tripod to do a full spherical pano. My main questions revolve around the down shot...

                          How does one accurately try to position the camera, where it was on the tripod after you have moved the tripod away? or should I just for the moment shoot down with the tripod in place and try and mask it out?

                          I use ptgui to stitch, ages ago, I was told that to remove the tripod from the shot, I had to convert the down shot to a tif, mask out the parts with the tripod and stitch that image in. Is it the same for your body if you are hand holding for the downshot?

                          Does anyone have a work flow with examples I can read to better educate myself about shooting with a fisheye and the stitching process.

                          What about if I am shooting in raw mode, how does that affect things if I need to mask areas out?

                          As I said, they are probably very simple questions and plainly obvious to some, but not yet to me so any advice will be much appreciated.

                          With a fisheye, do I still use this to do partial non-spherical pannos? if so, in most cases the entire area I would want to shoot would be covered in the one shot, but, is it best to shoot like 4 really overlapping images instead of just the one or 2?

                          I look forward to reading your replies.

                          I look forward to soon be able to show off my humble first attempts with the new setup, because trying to do sphericals with 160+ shots was just an exercise in frustration.

                          Cheers

                          Neil
                        • Philipp B. Koch
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Hi Neil,

                            Neil Miller schrieb:
                            > How does one accurately try to position the camera, where it was on the tripod after you have moved the tripod away? or should I just for the moment shoot down with the tripod in place and try and mask it out?

                            I'd recommend to take both a nadir shot with tripod "in the way" and one
                            without. This way you have a better chance to fit the "tripodless-shot"
                            in the final pano by taking your first nadir shot as a guide.
                            > I use ptgui to stitch, ages ago, I was told that to remove the tripod from the shot, I had to convert the down shot to a tif, mask out the parts with the tripod and stitch that image in. Is it the same for your body if you are hand holding for the downshot?

                            The latest PTGui PRO offers the possibility to "viewpoint"-correct your
                            nadir shots. It's almost perfect as long as your nadir is an even
                            surface (which most likely will be the case). See here for more
                            information: http://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html. It's very
                            convenient. I do it like so: Take the pano normally, including two nadir
                            shots (one at 0° and the other 180° around). Then, I mark the center of
                            my nadir (for example with a coin or something like that), remove the
                            tripod, take the center column to the horizontal position and shoot the
                            nadir again, but without the tripod, trying to bring the coin exactly to
                            the center of the image. You can process these images as described in
                            PTGui's tutorial.

                            As for handheld vs. tripod: Depends on the lighting conditions. Since I
                            use to shoot panos in low light conditions (and thus with exposure
                            brackets), I always shoot my nadir using a tripod. Some possibilities
                            are shown here: http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical6.html.
                            I use a Manfrotto 055xPROB which is capable of an horizontal center
                            column position (shown as last solution at the page mentioned above).

                            > What about if I am shooting in raw mode, how does that affect things if I need to mask areas out?

                            You would simply convert them to 16bit-TIFFs beforehand and could do all
                            the masking you desire afterwards.

                            I hope this helps a little. Have fun with your new setup!

                            Regards, Philipp
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
                              Neil Miller-5 wrote:

                              > How does one accurately try to position the camera, where it was on the
                              > tripod after you have moved the tripod away? or should I just for the
                              > moment shoot down with the tripod in place and try and mask it out?

                              Just guess, if you do it hendheld. Position yourself such that you can touch
                              the camera with streched armes, then try to spot something behind the
                              camera. Put away the camera but leave your feet in place. If you now hold
                              the camera at arms length in front of the feature you remembered, it should
                              be roughly in the same position as before.

                              PTGui PRO viewpoint correction is a nice thing, but works with flat floors
                              *only*.

                              See http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots for a tutorial on how to
                              stitch nadir shots. And of course don't miss
                              http://wiki.panotools.org/Zenith_and_Nadir_editing_overview

                              Neil Miller-5 wrote:

                              > I use ptgui to stitch, ages ago, I was told that to remove the tripod from
                              > the shot, I had to convert the down shot to a tif, mask out the parts with
                              > the tripod and stitch that image in. Is it the same for your body if you
                              > are hand holding for the downshot?

                              That's still the work flow if you don't use viewpoint correction.

                              Neil Miller-5 wrote:

                              > Does anyone have a work flow with examples I can read to better educate
                              > myself about shooting with a fisheye and the stitching process.

                              Perhaps you want to have a look at http://wiki.panotools.org/Tutorials where
                              some tutorials are listed. Another good one is
                              http://www.dffe.at/pano360/360-5_1e.html

                              Neil Miller-5 wrote:

                              > What about if I am shooting in raw mode, how does that affect things if I
                              > need to mask areas out?

                              You should convert all source image with the same settings. Convert to TIFF
                              if you want to mask the tripod.

                              Neil Miller-5 wrote:

                              > With a fisheye, do I still use this to do partial non-spherical pannos? if
                              > so, in most cases the entire area I would want to shoot would be covered
                              > in the one shot, but, is it best to shoot like 4 really overlapping images
                              > instead of just the one or 2?

                              You can defish a single fisheye shot with PTGui and such create a partial
                              panorama. But you get pretty low resolution this way. Better use a lens with
                              appropriate focal length in order to capture a bit more than full intended
                              height in portrait mode and use several shots. This way you get a single row
                              panorama, which is very easy to stitch. With a longer focal length you must
                              shoot multiple rows for the same pano but you get higher (eventually *much*
                              higher) resolution.

                              BTW.: Did you read http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines? Especially the
                              Subject section?

                              best regards