IE7 blocking QTVR and Flash

  • uri-cogan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22 5:59 PM
      I'm trying to create a panorama presentation in HTML, to be
      distributed on CD. All works fine except with IE7 on Windows XP and Vista.

      Pages with QTVR will not open until the user gives permission to open
      blocked content.

      Pages with Flash will not open until the user gives permission to use
      Java.

      All pages display an annoying message when trying to close.

      Asking the users to mess with their IE7 security settings is out of
      the question.

      Any ideas? anyone?
    • fierodeval
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 23 12:16 AM
        Hi uri,

        Try to insert this line in your HTML files (write this line as is,
        without spaces at the end of the line):

        <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

        This line must be added between DOCTYPE and HTML lines:

        <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
        <HTML>

        regards!
        fiero

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 23 2:45 AM
          On Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 7:16, fierodeval wrote:

          > Try to insert this line in your HTML files (write this line as is,
          > without spaces at the end of the line):
          >
          > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
          >
          > This line must be added between DOCTYPE and HTML lines:

          > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
          > <HTML>

          Very intersting, fiero! Do you have any hints on what that actually
          does or why it works?

          best regards
        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 23 3:47 AM
            Hi Erik,

            IE browser has different security configurations for each different
            "zone". You can see in "Tools->Internet options->Security" these zones
            "Internet zone", "Local zone", ...

            By default, "Local Machine zone" has more restrictions and more
            notices than "Internet zone". But with this comment, the HTML file is
            forced into "Internet zone" although you browse the page from a CD or
            local.

            More info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457150.aspx
            (search "about:internet" in this page)

            regards!
            fiero

            > On Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 7:16, fierodeval wrote:
            >
            > > Try to insert this line in your HTML files (write this line as is,
            > > without spaces at the end of the line):
            > >
            > > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
            > >
            > > This line must be added between DOCTYPE and HTML lines:
            > >
            > > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
            > > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
            > > <HTML>
            >
            > Very intersting, fiero! Do you have any hints on what that actually
            > does or why it works?
            >
            > best regards
            > --
            > http://www.erik-krause.de

          • Fulvio Senore
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 23 5:31 AM
              For CD distribution you could consider HTML applications. They should
              work with IE without security problems.

              http://www.c-point.com/javascript_tutorial/HTML_Applications.htm

              I used them for a CD and they worked perfectly.

              They only work in Windows, but you could create a different set of html
              files, one for Windows and one for other platforms in standard html.

              Fulvio Senore

              uri-cogan ha scritto:
              > I'm trying to create a panorama presentation in HTML, to be
              > distributed on CD. All works fine except with IE7 on Windows XP and Vista.
              >
              > Pages with QTVR will not open until the user gives permission to open
              > blocked content.
              >
              > Pages with Flash will not open until the user gives permission to use
              > Java.
              >
              > All pages display an annoying message when trying to close.
              >
              > Asking the users to mess with their IE7 security settings is out of
              > the question.
              >
              > Any ideas? anyone?

            • thomas_krueger_panoviews
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 24 12:33 AM
                With Flash panoramas you can use SWFobject to embed Flash.
                SWFobject http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/
                SWFFix (alpha) http://www.swffix.org/devblog/
              • uri-cogan
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 24 9:52 AM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

                  > Try to insert this line in your HTML files (write this line as is,
                  > without spaces at the end of the line):
                  >
                  > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
                  >
                  > This line must be added between DOCTYPE and HTML lines:

                  > <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
                  > <HTML>

                  Yes, thanks. This worked, but not at first. Internet Explorer 7 in
                  Windows will not recognize that line unless it's terminated by a CR/LF
                  characters (Hex 0D 0A).

                  I used GoLive on a Mac to insert that line but the Mac uses the CR
                  character (hex 0D) only at the end of line, so it did not work with IE7.

                  Entering that code using Windows WordPad took care of that problem.
                • Carl von Einem
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25 4:02 AM
                    Hi Uri,

                    GoLive might have a setting (export options or file saving defaults,
                    maybe hidden in the preferences) to use other line breaks.

                    E.g. in BBEdit's Preferences go to
                    "Text Files: Saving" ->
                    Default Line Breaks:
                    () Macintosh
                    () Unix
                    () DOS/Windows
                    [] Use Unicode Line Breaks

                    In TextEdit I'd simply choose Windows Latin 1 as text encoding option in
                    the save as dialog, that should hopefully also work.

                    Carl

                    Posted by: "uri-cogan"

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Uri,
                      >
                      > GoLive might have a setting (export options or file saving defaults,
                      > maybe hidden in the preferences) to use other line breaks.

                      Yes, thanks. In GoLive it's under Advanced/Line Breaks.

                      Strangely enough, Internet Explorer has as far as I know does not care
                      if the text lines in the code end with CR or CR/LF. The one exception
                      that I found was with the line:

                      <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

                      that, it appears, MUST end with CR/LF for it to work.