Ptgui and Orthogonal panorama

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
      We are using PTgui 7.2 trying to stitch a long panel wall mural. I
      guess thats called an Orthogonal.

      We are using a full 35mm sensor Canon 5d with a 19-24lens @ 19mm. We
      measured the wall and calculated an image set with a 25 to 30%
      overlap. 13 images. Because its an orthonal projection.. it does not
      wrap around.

      PTgui used the EXIF data to determine that Lens Settings TAB it was a
      Normal Rectilinear (Normal Lens) and Focal Length is 18.9mm.
      Multiplyer is 1.005. Horizontal Field of View is 64.55 for each
      image. Lens calculator told us the VFOV is 86.9 degrees.

      Panorama TAB shows a Field of View at 133 degrees x 86.9 degrees

      Alignment issues - No control points found. Had to manually place 3
      each pair.

      Stitching issues - The images get rounded top and bottom instead of
      near flat across top and bottom. Hard vertical and diagonal lines
      refuse to align.

      I know this has to be a simple solution we are missing. Do not know
      why PTgui thinks original near flat images must be warped.

      I'll try to stitch one of these and post a URL
    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi Dave,

        Have you read 6.5:
        http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_5

        Alternatively you may be able to get a good result using the new
        viewpoint correction feature in PTGui Pro 7.3 beta. This was intended
        mostly for nadir images taken from a different camera position. Consider
        it experimental, I haven't tried yet, but it should work for orthogonal
        panoramas too:
        http://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html

        Joost

        Dave 360texas.com wrote:
        > We are using PTgui 7.2 trying to stitch a long panel wall mural. I
        > guess thats called an Orthogonal.
        >
        > We are using a full 35mm sensor Canon 5d with a 19-24lens @ 19mm. We
        > measured the wall and calculated an image set with a 25 to 30%
        > overlap. 13 images. Because its an orthonal projection.. it does not
        > wrap around.
        >
        > PTgui used the EXIF data to determine that Lens Settings TAB it was a
        > Normal Rectilinear (Normal Lens) and Focal Length is 18.9mm.
        > Multiplyer is 1.005. Horizontal Field of View is 64.55 for each
        > image. Lens calculator told us the VFOV is 86.9 degrees.
        >
        > Panorama TAB shows a Field of View at 133 degrees x 86.9 degrees
        >
        > Alignment issues - No control points found. Had to manually place 3
        > each pair.
        >
        > Stitching issues - The images get rounded top and bottom instead of
        > near flat across top and bottom. Hard vertical and diagonal lines
        > refuse to align.
        >
        > I know this has to be a simple solution we are missing. Do not know
        > why PTgui thinks original near flat images must be warped.
        >
        > I'll try to stitch one of these and post a URL

      • Bruce Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
          Dave,

          I would recommend "good old" Photovista for that especially considering
          the lens you have (not a fisheye).

          Bruce
        • Bruce Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
            Dave,

            I would recommend "good old" Photovista for that especially considering
            the lens you have (not a fisheye).
            Just turn the "3d" off when you load images through My Computer.

            Bruce
          • Dave 360texas.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
              Sort of got it figured out. 2D and disable warping while using a lens
              file for 19mm. Warping was what was disrupting the stitching.

              Hope all is well in Japan today. Thanks for the tip.

              Dave

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Anderson <bruce@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > I would recommend "good old" Photovista for that especially
              considering
              > the lens you have (not a fisheye).
              > Just turn the "3d" off when you load images through My Computer.
              >
              > Bruce

            • Kelly Scheimberg
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                Please forgive my ignorance. How do you disable warping? Is there a menu path to a funtion
                that disables warping?

                Thanks.
                Kelly

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dave 360texas.com" <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                > Sort of got it figured out. 2D and disable warping while using a lens
                > file for 19mm. Warping was what was disrupting the stitching.
                >
                > Hope all is well in Japan today. Thanks for the tip.

              • Guillaume Fulchiron
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                  <texas360dave@...> wrote:

                  > Sort of got it figured out. 2D and disable warping while using a lens
                  > file for 19mm. Warping was what was disrupting the stitching.
                  >
                  > Hope all is well in Japan today. Thanks for the tip.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  Hi Dave,
                  I've tried following advice link Joost posted earlier but couldn't
                  achieve successfuly.
                  I've also got several images from a flat building wall I'd like to
                  stitch as linear panorama using Ptgui pro 7.3.
                  Would you mind to share you experience ?
                  Thank tou.

                  G.
                • Dave 360texas.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                    iSeemedia Photovista stitching software has a "Turn off Warping"
                    feature.

                    Follow the instructions Paragraph 6.5 "How can I stitch flat images"
                    http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_5

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Scheimberg" <kelly@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Thanks for the URL.