RE: [PanoToolsNG] Reasons NOT to post content on Google!

  • Chris Thomas
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi Yuv..

      Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
      business activity they now,

      or in the future will undertake.

      In the instance I'm referring to; their "Service" is to the person or
      organization that wants to. for example. post a picture

      to .., Google Earth via "Panoramio"

      In return for the "Service" of allowing the content provider to "upload".
      They take perpetual rights and can even make changes

      to content and use it in " yet to be dreamed of " ways in the future.

      If you were to post an equirectangular image for regular pano-type viewing,
      for example. There's nothing to stop them, from

      chopping it up into conventional print format and selling prints or making
      "Tiny Worlds" or spherical icons, or making

      any other use of it.. in some future "Service".

      Consider this:

      You post a Pano at some point in the future. There's a guy with his mistress
      arm in arm on a street in Paris.

      His wife sees it and a divorce ensues. Google gets sued.

      Google sues you. because you didn't have a model release.

      Under Article 11. you've agreed to be responsible.

      Providers of creative content. beware!

      I'm not a lawyer, but as a professional photographer.

      I'm more sensitive to copyright and release issues than the average "google
      content provider".

      Cheers

      chris

      Chris Thomas

      Photographer

      cell... 403-615-1212

      In North America

      call... 1-800-870-5110

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
        On Sunday, September 02, 2007 at 13:57, Chris Thomas wrote:

        > Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
        > business activity they now,

        Why don't you simply tell us the URL? Ok, searching (with google ;-)
        reveals: http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?loc=US

        best regards
      • Yuval Levy
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
          Thanks for clarifying, Chris.

          I did not know Google bought Panoramio. Last time I saw Panoramio the
          pictures in the service where such crap cluttering GoogleEarth that I
          decided to turn it off and have not missed it ever since.

          I don't know if Google's take over will do something to improve quality,
          but I 100% agree with your points about the (IMO unacceptable) terms and
          under such terms and conditions I am not inclined to post there.

          They could learn from Flickr (Yahoo) who has a more content producer
          friendly licensing which:
          1. reasonably restricts usage to the purpose for which the content was
          submitted or made available.
          2. gives content owners the right to terminate the license.

          I don't see much to discuss in Google's licensing terms posted earlier.
          As they stand they should be deal-killer for every serious content producer.

          Thank you, Google, for sponsoring hugin and freepv development, but NO
          THANKS, I won't post my content with you.

          Yuv