Re: [PanoToolsNG] Reasons NOT to post content on Google!

  • Yuval Levy
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi Chris,

      what "Services" does this "Standard Agreement" refer to?

      Chris Thomas wrote:
      > I'd like to start a discussion, I think we should all be having.

      yes, I agree that such issues should be discussed and that content
      producers should be aware of them.

      > Sometimes, it's better to say NO!

      indeed, better say an informed NO than an uninformed YES. Or an
      uniformed NO. So what "Services" are we talking of exactly?

      Maybe I am missing the point, but so far people on this list are using
      GoogleMap on their site, not the other way around. They are not
      submitting or posting their content to Google.

      Yuv
    • Chris Thomas
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Yuv..

        Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
        business activity they now,

        or in the future will undertake.

        In the instance I'm referring to; their "Service" is to the person or
        organization that wants to. for example. post a picture

        to .., Google Earth via "Panoramio"

        In return for the "Service" of allowing the content provider to "upload".
        They take perpetual rights and can even make changes

        to content and use it in " yet to be dreamed of " ways in the future.

        If you were to post an equirectangular image for regular pano-type viewing,
        for example. There's nothing to stop them, from

        chopping it up into conventional print format and selling prints or making
        "Tiny Worlds" or spherical icons, or making

        any other use of it.. in some future "Service".

        Consider this:

        You post a Pano at some point in the future. There's a guy with his mistress
        arm in arm on a street in Paris.

        His wife sees it and a divorce ensues. Google gets sued.

        Google sues you. because you didn't have a model release.

        Under Article 11. you've agreed to be responsible.

        Providers of creative content. beware!

        I'm not a lawyer, but as a professional photographer.

        I'm more sensitive to copyright and release issues than the average "google
        content provider".

        Cheers

        chris

        Chris Thomas

        Photographer

        cell... 403-615-1212

        In North America

        call... 1-800-870-5110

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
          On Sunday, September 02, 2007 at 13:57, Chris Thomas wrote:

          > Google uses "Services" as a catch-all phrase. They've defined it as any
          > business activity they now,

          Why don't you simply tell us the URL? Ok, searching (with google ;-)
          reveals: http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?loc=US

          best regards
        • Yuval Levy
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
            Thanks for clarifying, Chris.

            I did not know Google bought Panoramio. Last time I saw Panoramio the
            pictures in the service where such crap cluttering GoogleEarth that I
            decided to turn it off and have not missed it ever since.

            I don't know if Google's take over will do something to improve quality,
            but I 100% agree with your points about the (IMO unacceptable) terms and
            under such terms and conditions I am not inclined to post there.

            They could learn from Flickr (Yahoo) who has a more content producer
            friendly licensing which:
            1. reasonably restricts usage to the purpose for which the content was
            submitted or made available.
            2. gives content owners the right to terminate the license.

            I don't see much to discuss in Google's licensing terms posted earlier.
            As they stand they should be deal-killer for every serious content producer.

            Thank you, Google, for sponsoring hugin and freepv development, but NO
            THANKS, I won't post my content with you.

            Yuv