Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: How to show Panoramas on WindowsMobile6 PPC?

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:21 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

      >Keith Martin wrote:
      >> where's the UK iPhone?
      >
      >don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

      Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
      a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
      phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
      if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

      (Although VR support in some way in the iPhone would be absolutely
      wonderful. Of course.)

    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        Keith Martin wrote:
        > Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
        > a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
        > phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
        > if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

        in German there is this amazing concept of the eierlegende Wollmilchsau
        <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau> - can't have an
        animal that is good at laying eggs, producing wool and milk and still be
        a pork.

        for the phone, I would just buy a phone with bluetooth and long battery
        life (I am very happy with my seven years old Nokia 6310i - b&w screen
        and no polydisturbing sound, although one that has a proper MP3 player
        inside could be a bonus).

        for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
        rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

        no place in my world for PDAs nor for smartphones since x86-based
        subnotebook have enough juice to go through the day and proper
        WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity with a proper display in a form factor
        equivalent to PDAs.

        Yuv
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 12:58 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

          >for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
          >rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

          I certainly agree with regards to getting work done, but it is
          *incredibly* useful to be able to carry a VR demo machine around in
          my pocket.

          I wouldn't try to write an article on the iPhone, and I wouldn't use
          it for my main email machine either. But I would use it for *quick*
          messaging (SMS, IM, email), *simple* browsing, playing music... and
          of course making phone calls. :-)

          There is the concern of combining too many things and ending up with
          a jack-of-all-trades device. But I think the iPhone has trancended
          that; it is proving to be at least pretty good at its multiple core
          functions. I think it'd do me. And I'll just have to use the Ameo for
          VRs, dangit. :-)

        • Peter Braatz
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

            > Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:
            > > Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
            > standard version of Immervision's player working
            > on your WM6 phone?

            Hi Keith,

            no - not the Standard version is working on this PPC WM6. It´s the mobile version.

            Peter

            PS: i had a typo in my last mail:

            Hi,
            i can really - NOT - confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this
            device. It´s not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok! It´s
            very handy to have a small tool around to show as an image tells more than thousand
            words.