Re: First post

  • Don French
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
      Great article. I had not seen it before. It looks like Panorama
      Factory might be my best choice for stitching very large multi-row
      panos, although if Hugin also supports > 3G and takes advantage of
      multiple processors on Linux, I may have to create a dual boot system
      and give it a try. I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
      figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
      it is it worth it.

      http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
      > for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.
      >
      > Darn it.

    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        Don French wrote:
        > I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
        > figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
        > it is it worth it.

        a release of the current hugin for windows is in the pipeline. if you
        can wait a few weeks, you don't need linux.

        that said, with ubuntu it is a breeze. there is not much to configure
        other than run the gui installer from the CD.

        hugin is part of the distribution, so also here not much to configure.
        the simplest way to get it is to start a terminal window and type the
        following three lines ($ is the command line prompt, type only what is
        behind that):

        $ sudo apt-get install libpano
        $ sudo apt-get install enblend
        $ sudo apt-get install hugin

        the first line gets you the panotools library.
        the second line gest you enblend.
        the third one installs hugin and you should see it right in your menu.

        even installing and compiling from source is not that difficult:

        1. get hugin from the repository:

        $ cd
        $ svn co https://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/hugin hugin
        $ cd hugin/hugin/trunk

        2. configure - ccmake does it all automatically, so all you have to do
        is press c to configure and g to save the configuration.

        $ ccmake .

        3. build. might take some time:

        $ make

        4. test.