[PanoToolsNG] Re: How to show Panoramas on WindowsMobile6 PPC?

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:

      >Incidentally I found this link which has some info about download
      >costs of data on mobile devices.
      >http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/newsaudio/cost/index.shtml
      >I only mobile surf on free wifi, but this illustrates another issue.

      It certainly does. And the 'Pay As You Go' (PAYG)
      charge that mentions is actually pretty much the
      standard charge that almost *all* mobile users
      (in the UK) will pay unless they have a specific
      data charge plan. PAYG in this instance refers to
      the data traffic, not the overall call charge
      contract.

      This means that standard tariffs can cost users
      as much as a penny per kilobyte for data
      transfer, or £1 for around 100KB, or around ten
      pounds sterling for a megabyte.

      For these people, you'd better make sure your panos are worth the cost! :-)

      Internet plans that provide much, much better
      deals are being pushed hard now. I've been using
      a contract that charges £7.50 per month for up to
      3GB of data transfer per month. (Rather more
      affordable than the £30 I was charged last summer
      for checking news reports on my mobile while
      working at a festival one weekend.)
      I used to seek out free wifi zones, but now I
      don't worry about it. Imagine trying to max out
      3GB per month on a mobile phone! ;-)

      But on my WM5 mobile (rot its soul, where's the
      UK iPhone?), Immervision's mobile player only
      works with local content, not online stuff.

      Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
      standard version of Immervision's player working
      on your WM6 phone?

    • Yuval Levy
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        Keith Martin wrote:
        > where's the UK iPhone?

        don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

        Yuv
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:21 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

          >Keith Martin wrote:
          >> where's the UK iPhone?
          >
          >don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

          Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
          a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
          phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
          if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

          (Although VR support in some way in the iPhone would be absolutely
          wonderful. Of course.)

        • Yuval Levy
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
            Keith Martin wrote:
            > Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
            > a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
            > phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
            > if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

            in German there is this amazing concept of the eierlegende Wollmilchsau
            <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau> - can't have an
            animal that is good at laying eggs, producing wool and milk and still be
            a pork.

            for the phone, I would just buy a phone with bluetooth and long battery
            life (I am very happy with my seven years old Nokia 6310i - b&w screen
            and no polydisturbing sound, although one that has a proper MP3 player
            inside could be a bonus).

            for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
            rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

            no place in my world for PDAs nor for smartphones since x86-based
            subnotebook have enough juice to go through the day and proper
            WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity with a proper display in a form factor
            equivalent to PDAs.

            Yuv
          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 12:58 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

              >for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
              >rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

              I certainly agree with regards to getting work done, but it is
              *incredibly* useful to be able to carry a VR demo machine around in
              my pocket.

              I wouldn't try to write an article on the iPhone, and I wouldn't use
              it for my main email machine either. But I would use it for *quick*
              messaging (SMS, IM, email), *simple* browsing, playing music... and
              of course making phone calls. :-)

              There is the concern of combining too many things and ending up with
              a jack-of-all-trades device. But I think the iPhone has trancended
              that; it is proving to be at least pretty good at its multiple core
              functions. I think it'd do me. And I'll just have to use the Ameo for
              VRs, dangit. :-)

            • Peter Braatz
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

                > Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:
                > > Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
                > standard version of Immervision's player working
                > on your WM6 phone?

                Hi Keith,

                no - not the Standard version is working on this PPC WM6. It´s the mobile version.

                Peter

                PS: i had a typo in my last mail:

                Hi,
                i can really - NOT - confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this
                device. It´s not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok! It´s
                very handy to have a small tool around to show as an image tells more than thousand
                words.