Re: [PanoToolsNG] First post

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
      Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 02:03 -0700) Pat Swovelin said:

      >It's WAY overkill for use with CS3. Read this http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
      >for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.
      >
      >Darn it.

      Darn it indeed.
      Just to be clear, this is Photoshop CS3's limit, not the overall
      limit for the whole suite. You can have Photoshop grabbing its
      maximum 3GB and launch other CS3 apps as well, each using whatever
      other RAM it needs and/or is available. So 8GB of RAM (for example)
      is a good thing even though Photoshop won't be able to use more than
      3GB.

      But yes, darn it about Photoshop CS3's RAM ceiling.

    • Don French
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        Great article. I had not seen it before. It looks like Panorama
        Factory might be my best choice for stitching very large multi-row
        panos, although if Hugin also supports > 3G and takes advantage of
        multiple processors on Linux, I may have to create a dual boot system
        and give it a try. I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
        figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
        it is it worth it.

        > It's WAY overkill for use with CS3. Read this
        http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
        > for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.
        >
        > Darn it.

      • Yuval Levy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          Don French wrote:
          > I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
          > figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
          > it is it worth it.

          a release of the current hugin for windows is in the pipeline. if you
          can wait a few weeks, you don't need linux.

          that said, with ubuntu it is a breeze. there is not much to configure
          other than run the gui installer from the CD.

          hugin is part of the distribution, so also here not much to configure.
          the simplest way to get it is to start a terminal window and type the
          following three lines ($ is the command line prompt, type only what is
          behind that):

          $ sudo apt-get install libpano
          $ sudo apt-get install enblend
          $ sudo apt-get install hugin

          the first line gets you the panotools library.
          the second line gest you enblend.
          the third one installs hugin and you should see it right in your menu.

          even installing and compiling from source is not that difficult:

          1. get hugin from the repository:

          $ cd
          $ svn co https://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/hugin hugin
          $ cd hugin/hugin/trunk

          2. configure - ccmake does it all automatically, so all you have to do
          is press c to configure and g to save the configuration.

          $ ccmake .

          3. build. might take some time:

          $ make

          4. test.