Re: How to show Panoramas on WindowsMobile6 PPC?

  • serkanserttop
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
      to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
      much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
      major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
      mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
      to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
      HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible. I am using
      Windows Mobile 5, installed Flash Lite that supports Flash7 content
      authored for mobile, so Pano2VR would not work as it supports Flash 8
      or 9, and probably would need extra functionality to support mobile
      even if it could output for Flash7. One of the newer HTCs will support
      3D Graphics. I will buy another handheld phone with in-built GPS
      system and support for 3D Graphics, but they have not brought all the
      models into Turkey yet. I would appreciate if any of you have a model
      that you can recommend. I hope my experience helps some of you in your
      decision-making process.

      Serkan Serttop
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:

        >Incidentally I found this link which has some info about download
        >costs of data on mobile devices.
        >http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/newsaudio/cost/index.shtml
        >I only mobile surf on free wifi, but this illustrates another issue.

        It certainly does. And the 'Pay As You Go' (PAYG)
        charge that mentions is actually pretty much the
        standard charge that almost *all* mobile users
        (in the UK) will pay unless they have a specific
        data charge plan. PAYG in this instance refers to
        the data traffic, not the overall call charge
        contract.

        This means that standard tariffs can cost users
        as much as a penny per kilobyte for data
        transfer, or £1 for around 100KB, or around ten
        pounds sterling for a megabyte.

        For these people, you'd better make sure your panos are worth the cost! :-)

        Internet plans that provide much, much better
        deals are being pushed hard now. I've been using
        a contract that charges £7.50 per month for up to
        3GB of data transfer per month. (Rather more
        affordable than the £30 I was charged last summer
        for checking news reports on my mobile while
        working at a festival one weekend.)
        I used to seek out free wifi zones, but now I
        don't worry about it. Imagine trying to max out
        3GB per month on a mobile phone! ;-)

        But on my WM5 mobile (rot its soul, where's the
        UK iPhone?), Immervision's mobile player only
        works with local content, not online stuff.

        Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
        standard version of Immervision's player working
        on your WM6 phone?

      • Peter Braatz
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <billward@...> wrote:

          > I see on the Immervision site it says Windows Mobile 5 is required and
          > you've got it working with Windows Mobile 6 prof, is that correct?

          Hi again,

          yes - it´s running on WM6 prof.
          It is not recognised as an application, so i always have to navigate with the FileExplorer to the
          folder to start it, but maybe that can be changed somehow (I only have this PPC only for 6
          days now.)

          Peter
        • Peter Braatz
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "serkanserttop" <serkanserttop@...> wrote:

            > I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
            > to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
            > much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
            > major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
            > mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
            > to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
            > HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible.

            Hi,
            i can really confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this device. It´s
            not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok!

            I also tried PTViewerME2 but did not get it to work due to the lack of 3D support as you have
            mentioned here.

            Peter
          • Yuval Levy
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              Keith Martin wrote:
              > where's the UK iPhone?

              don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

              Yuv
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:21 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                >Keith Martin wrote:
                >> where's the UK iPhone?
                >
                >don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

                Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                (Although VR support in some way in the iPhone would be absolutely
                wonderful. Of course.)

              • Yuval Levy
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Keith Martin wrote:
                  > Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                  > a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                  > phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                  > if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                  in German there is this amazing concept of the eierlegende Wollmilchsau
                  <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau> - can't have an
                  animal that is good at laying eggs, producing wool and milk and still be
                  a pork.

                  for the phone, I would just buy a phone with bluetooth and long battery
                  life (I am very happy with my seven years old Nokia 6310i - b&w screen
                  and no polydisturbing sound, although one that has a proper MP3 player
                  inside could be a bonus).

                  for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                  rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                  no place in my world for PDAs nor for smartphones since x86-based
                  subnotebook have enough juice to go through the day and proper
                  WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity with a proper display in a form factor
                  equivalent to PDAs.

                  Yuv
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 12:58 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                    >for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                    >rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                    I certainly agree with regards to getting work done, but it is
                    *incredibly* useful to be able to carry a VR demo machine around in
                    my pocket.

                    I wouldn't try to write an article on the iPhone, and I wouldn't use
                    it for my main email machine either. But I would use it for *quick*
                    messaging (SMS, IM, email), *simple* browsing, playing music... and
                    of course making phone calls. :-)

                    There is the concern of combining too many things and ending up with
                    a jack-of-all-trades device. But I think the iPhone has trancended
                    that; it is proving to be at least pretty good at its multiple core
                    functions. I think it'd do me. And I'll just have to use the Ameo for
                    VRs, dangit. :-)

                  • Peter Braatz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

                      > Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:
                      > > Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
                      > standard version of Immervision's player working
                      > on your WM6 phone?

                      Hi Keith,

                      no - not the Standard version is working on this PPC WM6. It´s the mobile version.

                      Peter

                      PS: i had a typo in my last mail:

                      Hi,
                      i can really - NOT - confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this
                      device. It´s not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok! It´s
                      very handy to have a small tool around to show as an image tells more than thousand
                      words.