Re: How to show Panoramas on WindowsMobile6 PPC?

  • Peter Braatz
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi Bill,

      thank you fo rthese detailes informations. I did not have a look on the Immervisions
      Homwpage. I thought the "normal" PurePlayer would run on that PPC (i own a licence of
      PureTools). I managed to get it installed (quite fast - no problems) and launched my first
      pano on the littel screen 2 minutes later:-))

      I mainly wanted to have this to show people asking what i am doing when taking images in
      public places. Thanks - perfect!!!
      Regards - Peter
    • wardnet2001
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Braatz" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > thank you fo rthese detailes informations. I did not have a look on
        the Immervisions
        > Homwpage. I thought the "normal" PurePlayer would run on that PPC (i
        own a licence of
        > PureTools). I managed to get it installed (quite fast - no problems)

        Hi Peter

        I see on the Immervision site it says Windows Mobile 5 is required and
        you've got it working with Windows Mobile 6 prof, is that correct?
        Useful to know that, I've only got Windows Mobile 5.

        Bill
      • serkanserttop
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
          to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
          much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
          major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
          mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
          to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
          HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible. I am using
          Windows Mobile 5, installed Flash Lite that supports Flash7 content
          authored for mobile, so Pano2VR would not work as it supports Flash 8
          or 9, and probably would need extra functionality to support mobile
          even if it could output for Flash7. One of the newer HTCs will support
          3D Graphics. I will buy another handheld phone with in-built GPS
          system and support for 3D Graphics, but they have not brought all the
          models into Turkey yet. I would appreciate if any of you have a model
          that you can recommend. I hope my experience helps some of you in your
          decision-making process.

          Serkan Serttop
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
            Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:

            >Incidentally I found this link which has some info about download
            >costs of data on mobile devices.
            >http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/newsaudio/cost/index.shtml
            >I only mobile surf on free wifi, but this illustrates another issue.

            It certainly does. And the 'Pay As You Go' (PAYG)
            charge that mentions is actually pretty much the
            standard charge that almost *all* mobile users
            (in the UK) will pay unless they have a specific
            data charge plan. PAYG in this instance refers to
            the data traffic, not the overall call charge
            contract.

            This means that standard tariffs can cost users
            as much as a penny per kilobyte for data
            transfer, or £1 for around 100KB, or around ten
            pounds sterling for a megabyte.

            For these people, you'd better make sure your panos are worth the cost! :-)

            Internet plans that provide much, much better
            deals are being pushed hard now. I've been using
            a contract that charges £7.50 per month for up to
            3GB of data transfer per month. (Rather more
            affordable than the £30 I was charged last summer
            for checking news reports on my mobile while
            working at a festival one weekend.)
            I used to seek out free wifi zones, but now I
            don't worry about it. Imagine trying to max out
            3GB per month on a mobile phone! ;-)

            But on my WM5 mobile (rot its soul, where's the
            UK iPhone?), Immervision's mobile player only
            works with local content, not online stuff.

            Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
            standard version of Immervision's player working
            on your WM6 phone?

          • Peter Braatz
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <billward@...> wrote:

              > I see on the Immervision site it says Windows Mobile 5 is required and
              > you've got it working with Windows Mobile 6 prof, is that correct?

              Hi again,

              yes - it´s running on WM6 prof.
              It is not recognised as an application, so i always have to navigate with the FileExplorer to the
              folder to start it, but maybe that can be changed somehow (I only have this PPC only for 6
              days now.)

              Peter
            • Peter Braatz
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "serkanserttop" <serkanserttop@...> wrote:

                > I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
                > to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
                > much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
                > major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
                > mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
                > to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
                > HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible.

                Hi,
                i can really confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this device. It´s
                not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok!

                I also tried PTViewerME2 but did not get it to work due to the lack of 3D support as you have
                mentioned here.

                Peter
              • Yuval Levy
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Keith Martin wrote:
                  > where's the UK iPhone?

                  don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

                  Yuv
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:21 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                    >Keith Martin wrote:
                    >> where's the UK iPhone?
                    >
                    >don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

                    Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                    a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                    phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                    if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                    (Although VR support in some way in the iPhone would be absolutely
                    wonderful. Of course.)

                  • Yuval Levy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Keith Martin wrote:
                      > Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                      > a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                      > phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                      > if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                      in German there is this amazing concept of the eierlegende Wollmilchsau
                      <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau> - can't have an
                      animal that is good at laying eggs, producing wool and milk and still be
                      a pork.

                      for the phone, I would just buy a phone with bluetooth and long battery
                      life (I am very happy with my seven years old Nokia 6310i - b&w screen
                      and no polydisturbing sound, although one that has a proper MP3 player
                      inside could be a bonus).

                      for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                      rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                      no place in my world for PDAs nor for smartphones since x86-based
                      subnotebook have enough juice to go through the day and proper
                      WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity with a proper display in a form factor
                      equivalent to PDAs.

                      Yuv
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 12:58 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                        >for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                        >rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                        I certainly agree with regards to getting work done, but it is
                        *incredibly* useful to be able to carry a VR demo machine around in
                        my pocket.

                        I wouldn't try to write an article on the iPhone, and I wouldn't use
                        it for my main email machine either. But I would use it for *quick*
                        messaging (SMS, IM, email), *simple* browsing, playing music... and
                        of course making phone calls. :-)

                        There is the concern of combining too many things and ending up with
                        a jack-of-all-trades device. But I think the iPhone has trancended
                        that; it is proving to be at least pretty good at its multiple core
                        functions. I think it'd do me. And I'll just have to use the Ameo for
                        VRs, dangit. :-)

                      • Peter Braatz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

                          > Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:
                          > > Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
                          > standard version of Immervision's player working
                          > on your WM6 phone?

                          Hi Keith,

                          no - not the Standard version is working on this PPC WM6. It´s the mobile version.

                          Peter

                          PS: i had a typo in my last mail:

                          Hi,
                          i can really - NOT - confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this
                          device. It´s not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok! It´s
                          very handy to have a small tool around to show as an image tells more than thousand
                          words.