Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi Mahmood,

      Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
      especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
      posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
      relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
      It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
      work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
      already have.
      I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

      Regards,

      erik leeman

      (www.erikleeman.com)
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
        --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
        > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
        > already have.

        Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
        It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
        stiched pano.

        Mahmood
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
          Rookie2 wrote:

          > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
          >
          > Deval VR:
          > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
          >
          > QTVR:
          > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
          >
          > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
          > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
          > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
          > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
          > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mahmood

          Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
          an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
          varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
          slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
          separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
          interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
          60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
          nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
          unimportant parts.

          Carel Struycken