How to show Panoramas on WindowsMobile6 PPC?

  • Peter Braatz
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hi there,
      my old handheld Phone died so i got a new one: XDA Orbit (= HTC Artemis) running
      WindowsMobile6 prof.

      What would be a possibility to show panoramas on that device?
      PurePlayer (Immervision) ?
      Flash ?
      PTVIewerME2 ?
      ???

      As i am not yet very familiar with the operating system i did not try to install any Plugins
      until now. I would rather wait for a suggestion. Thank you - Peter
    • wardnet2001
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Braatz" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > my old handheld Phone died so i got a new one: XDA Orbit (= HTC
        Artemis) running
        > WindowsMobile6 prof.
        >
        > What would be a possibility to show panoramas on that device?
        > PurePlayer (Immervision) ?
        > Flash ?
        > PTVIewerME2 ?
        > ???
        >
        > As i am not yet very familiar with the operating system i did not
        try to install any Plugins
        > until now. I would rather wait for a suggestion. Thank you - Peter

        Hi
        I'm interested in this subject as well.
        I've made a phone tour for Immervision PURE Player for Pocket PC
        http://www.billward.org/Wemyss_small.zip
        which works fine, hotspots made same way as full size Immervision
        panos - the Pocket PC applet will open full size Immervision .ivp
        files as well. It's very straightforward.
        Info on Immervision PURE Player for Pocket PC is at
        <http://www.immervision.com/en/multimedia/multimedia_products/multimedia_products_2_5.php>

        Download PURE Player for Pocket PC 1.0 (.CAB file) free. This has to
        be installed on the Pocket PC.
        <http://www.immervision.com/en/multimedia/multimedia_download.php>

        I emailed Immervision to ask if I could distribute
        PUREPlayerForPocketPC.cab myself, along with any panos, but they replied:

        "Dear Bill,

        Thank you for choosing PURE Software for your panoramic projects.

        The current license for our PURE Players does not allow
        redistribution. All
        the players are freely available for download on our website. The only
        thing
        we ask is a simple registration. This allows users to be assured they are
        downloading the latest version of the players.

        Best regards,"

        While this has logic it means that a phone surfer will have to surf to
        immervision's site, register and then download - I think this is too
        much for a casual pano viewer, fine for a pano enthusiast.

        Incidentally I found this link which has some info about download
        costs of data on mobile devices.
        <http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/newsaudio/cost/index.shtml>
        I only mobile surf on free wifi, but this illustrates another issue.

        Also I have not managed to make work PTVIewerME2. Has anyone else?

        Bill
      • Peter Braatz
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hi Bill,

          thank you fo rthese detailes informations. I did not have a look on the Immervisions
          Homwpage. I thought the "normal" PurePlayer would run on that PPC (i own a licence of
          PureTools). I managed to get it installed (quite fast - no problems) and launched my first
          pano on the littel screen 2 minutes later:-))

          I mainly wanted to have this to show people asking what i am doing when taking images in
          public places. Thanks - perfect!!!
          Regards - Peter
        • wardnet2001
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Braatz" <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > thank you fo rthese detailes informations. I did not have a look on
            the Immervisions
            > Homwpage. I thought the "normal" PurePlayer would run on that PPC (i
            own a licence of
            > PureTools). I managed to get it installed (quite fast - no problems)

            Hi Peter

            I see on the Immervision site it says Windows Mobile 5 is required and
            you've got it working with Windows Mobile 6 prof, is that correct?
            Useful to know that, I've only got Windows Mobile 5.

            Bill
          • serkanserttop
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
              to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
              much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
              major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
              mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
              to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
              HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible. I am using
              Windows Mobile 5, installed Flash Lite that supports Flash7 content
              authored for mobile, so Pano2VR would not work as it supports Flash 8
              or 9, and probably would need extra functionality to support mobile
              even if it could output for Flash7. One of the newer HTCs will support
              3D Graphics. I will buy another handheld phone with in-built GPS
              system and support for 3D Graphics, but they have not brought all the
              models into Turkey yet. I would appreciate if any of you have a model
              that you can recommend. I hope my experience helps some of you in your
              decision-making process.

              Serkan Serttop
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:

                >Incidentally I found this link which has some info about download
                >costs of data on mobile devices.
                >http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/newsaudio/cost/index.shtml
                >I only mobile surf on free wifi, but this illustrates another issue.

                It certainly does. And the 'Pay As You Go' (PAYG)
                charge that mentions is actually pretty much the
                standard charge that almost *all* mobile users
                (in the UK) will pay unless they have a specific
                data charge plan. PAYG in this instance refers to
                the data traffic, not the overall call charge
                contract.

                This means that standard tariffs can cost users
                as much as a penny per kilobyte for data
                transfer, or £1 for around 100KB, or around ten
                pounds sterling for a megabyte.

                For these people, you'd better make sure your panos are worth the cost! :-)

                Internet plans that provide much, much better
                deals are being pushed hard now. I've been using
                a contract that charges £7.50 per month for up to
                3GB of data transfer per month. (Rather more
                affordable than the £30 I was charged last summer
                for checking news reports on my mobile while
                working at a festival one weekend.)
                I used to seek out free wifi zones, but now I
                don't worry about it. Imagine trying to max out
                3GB per month on a mobile phone! ;-)

                But on my WM5 mobile (rot its soul, where's the
                UK iPhone?), Immervision's mobile player only
                works with local content, not online stuff.

                Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
                standard version of Immervision's player working
                on your WM6 phone?

              • Peter Braatz
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "wardnet2001" <billward@...> wrote:

                  > I see on the Immervision site it says Windows Mobile 5 is required and
                  > you've got it working with Windows Mobile 6 prof, is that correct?

                  Hi again,

                  yes - it´s running on WM6 prof.
                  It is not recognised as an application, so i always have to navigate with the FileExplorer to the
                  folder to start it, but maybe that can be changed somehow (I only have this PPC only for 6
                  days now.)

                  Peter
                • Peter Braatz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "serkanserttop" <serkanserttop@...> wrote:

                    > I bought HTC Herald, unfortunately it does not support PTViewerME2 due
                    > to lack of 3D Graphics support. Having watched PTViewerME2 work on a
                    > much cheaper Nokia phone, I had not thought that this would be such a
                    > major problem. Your problem must be the same. Immervision's player for
                    > mobile is not very good to be honest, I just bought the software just
                    > to create samples as it is the only format (that I found) I can use on
                    > HTC Herald at the moment. But its Warping is just terrible.

                    Hi,
                    i can really confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this device. It´s
                    not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok!

                    I also tried PTViewerME2 but did not get it to work due to the lack of 3D support as you have
                    mentioned here.

                    Peter
                  • Yuval Levy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Keith Martin wrote:
                      > where's the UK iPhone?

                      don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

                      Yuv
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:21 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                        >Keith Martin wrote:
                        >> where's the UK iPhone?
                        >
                        >don't hold your breath - it currently does not play VR.

                        Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                        a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                        phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                        if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                        (Although VR support in some way in the iPhone would be absolutely
                        wonderful. Of course.)

                      • Yuval Levy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                          Keith Martin wrote:
                          > Yes, very frustrating. But while the phone I have now can play VRs in
                          > a large 640x480 screen - it is really not much good at all as a
                          > phone! :-) I might just relegate it to being a pocket VR demo machine
                          > if I got (or rather when I get) an iPhone.

                          in German there is this amazing concept of the eierlegende Wollmilchsau
                          <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau> - can't have an
                          animal that is good at laying eggs, producing wool and milk and still be
                          a pork.

                          for the phone, I would just buy a phone with bluetooth and long battery
                          life (I am very happy with my seven years old Nokia 6310i - b&w screen
                          and no polydisturbing sound, although one that has a proper MP3 player
                          inside could be a bonus).

                          for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                          rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                          no place in my world for PDAs nor for smartphones since x86-based
                          subnotebook have enough juice to go through the day and proper
                          WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity with a proper display in a form factor
                          equivalent to PDAs.

                          Yuv
                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                            Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 12:58 -0400) Yuval Levy said:

                            >for mobile computing / VR demo I would get an x86-based subnotebook
                            >rather than a PDA with a weaker CPU.

                            I certainly agree with regards to getting work done, but it is
                            *incredibly* useful to be able to carry a VR demo machine around in
                            my pocket.

                            I wouldn't try to write an article on the iPhone, and I wouldn't use
                            it for my main email machine either. But I would use it for *quick*
                            messaging (SMS, IM, email), *simple* browsing, playing music... and
                            of course making phone calls. :-)

                            There is the concern of combining too many things and ending up with
                            a jack-of-all-trades device. But I think the iPhone has trancended
                            that; it is proving to be at least pretty good at its multiple core
                            functions. I think it'd do me. And I'll just have to use the Ameo for
                            VRs, dangit. :-)

                          • Peter Braatz
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

                              > Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 10:02 +0000) wardnet2001 said:
                              > > Peter, are you saying you have the non-mobile,
                              > standard version of Immervision's player working
                              > on your WM6 phone?

                              Hi Keith,

                              no - not the Standard version is working on this PPC WM6. It´s the mobile version.

                              Peter

                              PS: i had a typo in my last mail:

                              Hi,
                              i can really - NOT - confirm that: i can not complain about the quality of panning on this
                              device. It´s not as smooth as Spi-V, but to show people what this is all about quite ok! It´s
                              very handy to have a small tool around to show as an image tells more than thousand
                              words.