Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • jann_lipka
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
      Mahmood,
      Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

      Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
      of NK Pano of yours with a similar
      pano crop of my own .mov file .

      http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

      Keep the good work coming .

      regards
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Erik,

        Thank you for your response.
        I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
        wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
        shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
        water in that one.
        Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
        greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
        it look like now?
        Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

        Mahmood

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
        >
        > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
        > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
        > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
        > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
        > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
        > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
        > will catch up with high quality content soon.
        > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
        > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
        > max FOV = 80
        > min FOV = 45
        > initial FOV = 60
        > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
        > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
        > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
        > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
        > the view too much.
        > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
        > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
        > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
        > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
        > difference!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > erik leeman
        >
        > (www.erikleeman.com)

      • erik leeman
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hi Mahmood,

          Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
          especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
          posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
          relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
          It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
          work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
          already have.
          I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

          Regards,

          erik leeman

          (www.erikleeman.com)
        • Mahmood Hamidi
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

            > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
            > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
            > already have.

            Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
            It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
            stiched pano.

            Mahmood
          • Carel
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
              Rookie2 wrote:

              > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
              >
              > Deval VR:
              > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
              >
              > QTVR:
              > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
              >
              > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
              > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
              > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
              > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
              > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
              >
              > Regards,
              > Mahmood

              Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
              an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
              varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
              slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
              separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
              interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
              60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
              nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
              unimportant parts.

              Carel Struycken