Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • Martin Hrdlicka
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
      <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

      > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
      > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
      >
      > www.360mh.com/
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mahmood

      Hi Mahmood,
      this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
      both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
      My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
      my name too.
      I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
      Martin Hrdlicka :-))
      www.mh360.com
      www.panorama360.cz
      www.virtualczech.cz
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Hrdlicka"
        <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
        > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
        > > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
        > >
        > > www.360mh.com/
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Mahmood
        > >
        > Hi Mahmood,
        > this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
        > both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
        > My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
        > my name too.
        > I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
        > Martin Hrdlicka :-))
        > www.mh360.com
        > www.panorama360.cz
        > www.virtualczech.cz

        Indeed Martin,
        Actually, I checked mh360 first but you had been there first, then I
        just swapt the the initials and 360. I may start using an alternative
        domain name soon though.

        Regards,
        MH
      • Mahmood Hamidi
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
          Hi again Carel,

          I have uploaded a new pano in the "Nacka Strand" serie, its name is
          "Nacka Strand (04)".
          In this one I have followed your advise, no sharpening on sky or water.
          How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?

          Deval VR:
          http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html

          QTVR:
          http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html

          Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
          N.S. 01: 3062 KB
          N.S. 02: 2675 KB
          N.S. 03: 2309 KB
          N.S. 04: 2154 KB

          Regards,
          Mahmood

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mahmood,
          >
          > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
          areas
          > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
          without video
          > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
          sharpening) on
          > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
          leave
          > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Carel Struycken

        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
            Hi Mahmood Hamidi,

            Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
            QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
            trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
            aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
            detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
            so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
            will catch up with high quality content soon.
            May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
            With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
            max FOV = 80
            min FOV = 45
            initial FOV = 60
            Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
            (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
            compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
            image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
            the view too much.
            Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
            certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
            flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
            should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
            difference!

            Regards,

            erik leeman

            (www.erikleeman.com)
          • jann_lipka
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
              Mahmood,
              Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

              Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
              of NK Pano of yours with a similar
              pano crop of my own .mov file .

              http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

              Keep the good work coming .

              regards
            • Mahmood Hamidi
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                Hi Erik,

                Thank you for your response.
                I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
                wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
                shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
                water in that one.
                Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
                greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
                it look like now?
                Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

                Mahmood

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
                >
                > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                > will catch up with high quality content soon.
                > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                > max FOV = 80
                > min FOV = 45
                > initial FOV = 60
                > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                > the view too much.
                > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                > difference!
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > erik leeman
                >
                > (www.erikleeman.com)

              • erik leeman
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Hi Mahmood,

                  Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
                  especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
                  posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
                  relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
                  It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                  work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                  already have.
                  I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

                  Regards,

                  erik leeman

                  (www.erikleeman.com)
                • Mahmood Hamidi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                    --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                    > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                    > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                    > already have.

                    Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
                    It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
                    stiched pano.

                    Mahmood
                  • Carel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Rookie2 wrote:

                      > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
                      >
                      > Deval VR:
                      > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
                      >
                      > QTVR:
                      > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
                      >
                      > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                      > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                      > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                      > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                      > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Mahmood

                      Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
                      an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
                      varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
                      slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
                      separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
                      interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
                      60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
                      nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
                      unimportant parts.

                      Carel Struycken