Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
      Thak you Jann for your response, see my comments embedded in your
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
        <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

        > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
        > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
        >
        > www.360mh.com/
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mahmood

        Hi Mahmood,
        this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
        both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
        My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
        my name too.
        I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
        Martin Hrdlicka :-))
        www.mh360.com
        www.panorama360.cz
        www.virtualczech.cz
      • Mahmood Hamidi
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Hrdlicka"
          <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
          > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
          > > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
          > >
          > > www.360mh.com/
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Mahmood
          > >
          > Hi Mahmood,
          > this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
          > both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
          > My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
          > my name too.
          > I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
          > Martin Hrdlicka :-))
          > www.mh360.com
          > www.panorama360.cz
          > www.virtualczech.cz

          Indeed Martin,
          Actually, I checked mh360 first but you had been there first, then I
          just swapt the the initials and 360. I may start using an alternative
          domain name soon though.

          Regards,
          MH
        • Mahmood Hamidi
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
            Hi again Carel,

            I have uploaded a new pano in the "Nacka Strand" serie, its name is
            "Nacka Strand (04)".
            In this one I have followed your advise, no sharpening on sky or water.
            How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?

            Deval VR:
            http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html

            QTVR:
            http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html

            Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
            N.S. 01: 3062 KB
            N.S. 02: 2675 KB
            N.S. 03: 2309 KB
            N.S. 04: 2154 KB

            Regards,
            Mahmood

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mahmood,
            >
            > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
            areas
            > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
            without video
            > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
            sharpening) on
            > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
            leave
            > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Carel Struycken

          • erik leeman
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
              Hi Mahmood Hamidi,

              Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
              QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
              trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
              aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
              detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
              so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
              will catch up with high quality content soon.
              May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
              With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
              max FOV = 80
              min FOV = 45
              initial FOV = 60
              Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
              (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
              compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
              image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
              the view too much.
              Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
              certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
              flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
              should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
              difference!

              Regards,

              erik leeman

              (www.erikleeman.com)
            • jann_lipka
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                Mahmood,
                Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

                Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
                of NK Pano of yours with a similar
                pano crop of my own .mov file .

                http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

                Keep the good work coming .

                regards
              • Mahmood Hamidi
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Hi Erik,

                  Thank you for your response.
                  I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
                  wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
                  shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
                  water in that one.
                  Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
                  greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
                  it look like now?
                  Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

                  Mahmood

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
                  >
                  > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                  > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                  > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                  > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                  > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                  > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                  > will catch up with high quality content soon.
                  > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                  > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                  > max FOV = 80
                  > min FOV = 45
                  > initial FOV = 60
                  > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                  > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                  > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                  > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                  > the view too much.
                  > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                  > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                  > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                  > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                  > difference!
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > erik leeman
                  >
                  > (www.erikleeman.com)

                • erik leeman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Hi Mahmood,

                    Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
                    especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
                    posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
                    relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
                    It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                    work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                    already have.
                    I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

                    Regards,

                    erik leeman

                    (www.erikleeman.com)
                  • Mahmood Hamidi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                      --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                      > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                      > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                      > already have.

                      Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
                      It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
                      stiched pano.

                      Mahmood
                    • Carel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Rookie2 wrote:

                        > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
                        >
                        > Deval VR:
                        > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
                        >
                        > QTVR:
                        > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
                        >
                        > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                        > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                        > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                        > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                        > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Mahmood

                        Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
                        an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
                        varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
                        slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
                        separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
                        interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
                        60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
                        nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
                        unimportant parts.

                        Carel Struycken