Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mahmood,
      >
      > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
      areas
      > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
      without video
      > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
      sharpening) on
      > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
      leave
      > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Carel Struycken

      Thanks Carel for your advise.
      It actually makes sense not to use sharpening on water and sky, a very
      good point that can both lower the shimmering when moving on some
      computers and reduce the file size. I have to put it into practice to
      see how much extra time it would take to exclude sky/water and how
      much it reduces the size.
      The shimmering problem is something that I don't see at all on my
      computer when using DevalVR and just a little when using QT, only when
      I move the panorama but I can imagine that it can be a bigger problem
      on some systems.
      I will definitely use your advise in some of (if not all of) my future
      works.

      Thanks,
      Mahmood
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
        Thak you Jann for your response, see my comments embedded in your
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
          <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

          > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
          > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
          >
          > www.360mh.com/
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mahmood

          Hi Mahmood,
          this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
          both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
          My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
          my name too.
          I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
          Martin Hrdlicka :-))
          www.mh360.com
          www.panorama360.cz
          www.virtualczech.cz
        • Mahmood Hamidi
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Hrdlicka"
            <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
            > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
            > > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
            > >
            > > www.360mh.com/
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Mahmood
            > >
            > Hi Mahmood,
            > this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
            > both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
            > My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
            > my name too.
            > I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
            > Martin Hrdlicka :-))
            > www.mh360.com
            > www.panorama360.cz
            > www.virtualczech.cz

            Indeed Martin,
            Actually, I checked mh360 first but you had been there first, then I
            just swapt the the initials and 360. I may start using an alternative
            domain name soon though.

            Regards,
            MH
          • Mahmood Hamidi
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
              Hi again Carel,

              I have uploaded a new pano in the "Nacka Strand" serie, its name is
              "Nacka Strand (04)".
              In this one I have followed your advise, no sharpening on sky or water.
              How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?

              Deval VR:
              http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html

              QTVR:
              http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html

              Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
              N.S. 01: 3062 KB
              N.S. 02: 2675 KB
              N.S. 03: 2309 KB
              N.S. 04: 2154 KB

              Regards,
              Mahmood

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mahmood,
              >
              > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
              areas
              > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
              without video
              > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
              sharpening) on
              > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
              leave
              > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Carel Struycken

            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                Hi Mahmood Hamidi,

                Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                will catch up with high quality content soon.
                May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                max FOV = 80
                min FOV = 45
                initial FOV = 60
                Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                the view too much.
                Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                difference!

                Regards,

                erik leeman

                (www.erikleeman.com)
              • jann_lipka
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Mahmood,
                  Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

                  Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
                  of NK Pano of yours with a similar
                  pano crop of my own .mov file .

                  http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

                  Keep the good work coming .

                  regards
                • Mahmood Hamidi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Hi Erik,

                    Thank you for your response.
                    I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
                    wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
                    shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
                    water in that one.
                    Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
                    greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
                    it look like now?
                    Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

                    Mahmood

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
                    >
                    > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                    > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                    > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                    > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                    > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                    > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                    > will catch up with high quality content soon.
                    > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                    > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                    > max FOV = 80
                    > min FOV = 45
                    > initial FOV = 60
                    > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                    > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                    > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                    > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                    > the view too much.
                    > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                    > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                    > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                    > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                    > difference!
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > erik leeman
                    >
                    > (www.erikleeman.com)

                  • erik leeman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Hi Mahmood,

                      Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
                      especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
                      posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
                      relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
                      It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                      work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                      already have.
                      I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

                      Regards,

                      erik leeman

                      (www.erikleeman.com)
                    • Mahmood Hamidi
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                        --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                        > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                        > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                        > already have.

                        Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
                        It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
                        stiched pano.

                        Mahmood
                      • Carel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                          Rookie2 wrote:

                          > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
                          >
                          > Deval VR:
                          > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
                          >
                          > QTVR:
                          > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
                          >
                          > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                          > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                          > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                          > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                          > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Mahmood

                          Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
                          an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
                          varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
                          slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
                          separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
                          interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
                          60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
                          nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
                          unimportant parts.

                          Carel Struycken