Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • jann_lipka
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
      I think your Panoramas look very good ,
      and you have a great handling of nadir shots in most of the panos.

      Skinnarviksberget panorama looks slightly "flat" and there is a quite a
      halo around the plane ( Tone mapping ? ) .

      In "shopping rush " there is some power lines across the street and those looks slightly
      jaggy
      and pixelated .

      I'm not bothered so much about shimmering in water , because it stops
      with the movement , but maybe sharpening is giving also steps on the power lines .

      Otherwise very good job with such a contrasty scene as in NK pano.
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mahmood,
        >
        > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
        areas
        > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
        without video
        > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
        sharpening) on
        > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
        leave
        > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Carel Struycken

        Thanks Carel for your advise.
        It actually makes sense not to use sharpening on water and sky, a very
        good point that can both lower the shimmering when moving on some
        computers and reduce the file size. I have to put it into practice to
        see how much extra time it would take to exclude sky/water and how
        much it reduces the size.
        The shimmering problem is something that I don't see at all on my
        computer when using DevalVR and just a little when using QT, only when
        I move the panorama but I can imagine that it can be a bigger problem
        on some systems.
        I will definitely use your advise in some of (if not all of) my future
        works.

        Thanks,
        Mahmood
      • Mahmood Hamidi
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
          Thak you Jann for your response, see my comments embedded in your
          > and you have a great handling of nadir shots in most of the panos.

          Thank you.

          > Skinnarviksberget panorama looks slightly "flat" and there is a quite a
          > halo around the plane ( Tone mapping ? ) .

          That one is tone mapped all right, I have not learnt this hdr business
          very well yet, evertime I use it, my images end up very flat and too
          soft. I must be doing something wrong there...

          > In "shopping rush " there is some power lines across the street
          > and those looks slightly jaggy and pixelated.

          I'm not sure what you mean by power lines, so no comments there

          > I'm not bothered so much about shimmering in water , because it stops
          > with the movement , but maybe sharpening is giving also steps on the
          power lines .

          > Otherwise very good job with such a contrasty scene as in NK pano.

          Thank you again,
          Mahmood
        • Martin Hrdlicka
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
            <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

            > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
            > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
            >
            > www.360mh.com/
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Mahmood

            Hi Mahmood,
            this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
            both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
            My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
            my name too.
            I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
            Martin Hrdlicka :-))
            www.mh360.com
            www.panorama360.cz
            www.virtualczech.cz
          • Mahmood Hamidi
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Hrdlicka"
              <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
              > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
              > > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
              > >
              > > www.360mh.com/
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Mahmood
              > >
              > Hi Mahmood,
              > this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
              > both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
              > My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
              > my name too.
              > I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
              > Martin Hrdlicka :-))
              > www.mh360.com
              > www.panorama360.cz
              > www.virtualczech.cz

              Indeed Martin,
              Actually, I checked mh360 first but you had been there first, then I
              just swapt the the initials and 360. I may start using an alternative
              domain name soon though.

              Regards,
              MH
            • Mahmood Hamidi
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                Hi again Carel,

                I have uploaded a new pano in the "Nacka Strand" serie, its name is
                "Nacka Strand (04)".
                In this one I have followed your advise, no sharpening on sky or water.
                How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?

                Deval VR:
                http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html

                QTVR:
                http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html

                Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                N.S. 04: 2154 KB

                Regards,
                Mahmood

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mahmood,
                >
                > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
                areas
                > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
                without video
                > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
                sharpening) on
                > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
                leave
                > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Carel Struycken

              • erik leeman
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Hi Mahmood Hamidi,

                  Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                  QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                  trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                  aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                  detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                  so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                  will catch up with high quality content soon.
                  May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                  With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                  max FOV = 80
                  min FOV = 45
                  initial FOV = 60
                  Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                  (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                  compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                  image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                  the view too much.
                  Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                  certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                  flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                  should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                  difference!

                  Regards,

                  erik leeman

                  (www.erikleeman.com)
                • jann_lipka
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2007
                    Mahmood,
                    Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

                    Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
                    of NK Pano of yours with a similar
                    pano crop of my own .mov file .

                    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

                    Keep the good work coming .

                    regards
                  • Mahmood Hamidi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Hi Erik,

                      Thank you for your response.
                      I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
                      wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
                      shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
                      water in that one.
                      Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
                      greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
                      it look like now?
                      Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

                      Mahmood

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
                      >
                      > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                      > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                      > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                      > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                      > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                      > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                      > will catch up with high quality content soon.
                      > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                      > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                      > max FOV = 80
                      > min FOV = 45
                      > initial FOV = 60
                      > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                      > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                      > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                      > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                      > the view too much.
                      > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                      > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                      > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                      > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                      > difference!
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > erik leeman
                      >
                      > (www.erikleeman.com)

                    • erik leeman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Hi Mahmood,

                        Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
                        especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
                        posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
                        relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
                        It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                        work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                        already have.
                        I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

                        Regards,

                        erik leeman

                        (www.erikleeman.com)
                      • Mahmood Hamidi
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                          --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                          > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                          > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                          > already have.

                          Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
                          It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
                          stiched pano.

                          Mahmood
                        • Carel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 2, 2007
                            Rookie2 wrote:

                            > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
                            >
                            > Deval VR:
                            > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
                            >
                            > QTVR:
                            > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
                            >
                            > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                            > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                            > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                            > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                            > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Mahmood

                            Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
                            an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
                            varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
                            slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
                            separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
                            interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
                            60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
                            nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
                            unimportant parts.

                            Carel Struycken