New Panoramas for critique

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1 6:28 AM
      I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
      improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.

      www.360mh.com/

      Thanks,
      Mahmood
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1 9:49 AM
        Hi Mahmood,

        I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to areas
        that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc without video
        card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by sharpening) on
        the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you leave
        those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.

        Regards,

        Carel Struycken

      • jann_lipka
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1 10:13 AM
          I think your Panoramas look very good ,
          and you have a great handling of nadir shots in most of the panos.

          Skinnarviksberget panorama looks slightly "flat" and there is a quite a
          halo around the plane ( Tone mapping ? ) .

          In "shopping rush " there is some power lines across the street and those looks slightly
          jaggy
          and pixelated .

          I'm not bothered so much about shimmering in water , because it stops
          with the movement , but maybe sharpening is giving also steps on the power lines .

          Otherwise very good job with such a contrasty scene as in NK pano.
        • Mahmood Hamidi
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1 1:11 PM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mahmood,
            >
            > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
            areas
            > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
            without video
            > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
            sharpening) on
            > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
            leave
            > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Carel Struycken

            Thanks Carel for your advise.
            It actually makes sense not to use sharpening on water and sky, a very
            good point that can both lower the shimmering when moving on some
            computers and reduce the file size. I have to put it into practice to
            see how much extra time it would take to exclude sky/water and how
            much it reduces the size.
            The shimmering problem is something that I don't see at all on my
            computer when using DevalVR and just a little when using QT, only when
            I move the panorama but I can imagine that it can be a bigger problem
            on some systems.
            I will definitely use your advise in some of (if not all of) my future
            works.

            Thanks,
            Mahmood
          • Mahmood Hamidi
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1 1:20 PM
              Thak you Jann for your response, see my comments embedded in your
              > and you have a great handling of nadir shots in most of the panos.

              Thank you.

              > Skinnarviksberget panorama looks slightly "flat" and there is a quite a
              > halo around the plane ( Tone mapping ? ) .

              That one is tone mapped all right, I have not learnt this hdr business
              very well yet, evertime I use it, my images end up very flat and too
              soft. I must be doing something wrong there...

              > In "shopping rush " there is some power lines across the street
              > and those looks slightly jaggy and pixelated.

              I'm not sure what you mean by power lines, so no comments there

              > I'm not bothered so much about shimmering in water , because it stops
              > with the movement , but maybe sharpening is giving also steps on the
              power lines .

              > Otherwise very good job with such a contrasty scene as in NK pano.

              Thank you again,
              Mahmood
            • Martin Hrdlicka
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1 2:15 PM
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
                <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

                > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
                > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
                >
                > www.360mh.com/
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mahmood

                Hi Mahmood,
                this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
                both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
                My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
                my name too.
                I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
                Martin Hrdlicka :-))
                www.mh360.com
                www.panorama360.cz
                www.virtualczech.cz
              • Mahmood Hamidi
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1 2:44 PM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Hrdlicka"
                  <martin.hrdlicka@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
                  > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've uploaded a couple of new panoramas, all feedbacks/critiques to
                  > > improve the panoramas or/and the site itself are welcome.
                  > >
                  > > www.360mh.com/
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Mahmood
                  > >
                  > Hi Mahmood,
                  > this is fun that you have very similar name of your domain as mine and
                  > both take up interest in virtual panoramas.
                  > My domain www.mh360.com ( old pages) consists of first characters of
                  > my name too.
                  > I wish you good luck for pano-shooting.
                  > Martin Hrdlicka :-))
                  > www.mh360.com
                  > www.panorama360.cz
                  > www.virtualczech.cz

                  Indeed Martin,
                  Actually, I checked mh360 first but you had been there first, then I
                  just swapt the the initials and 360. I may start using an alternative
                  domain name soon though.

                  Regards,
                  MH
                • Mahmood Hamidi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1 4:12 PM
                    Hi again Carel,

                    I have uploaded a new pano in the "Nacka Strand" serie, its name is
                    "Nacka Strand (04)".
                    In this one I have followed your advise, no sharpening on sky or water.
                    How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?

                    Deval VR:
                    http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html

                    QTVR:
                    http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html

                    Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                    N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                    N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                    N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                    N.S. 04: 2154 KB

                    Regards,
                    Mahmood

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Mahmood,
                    >
                    > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
                    areas
                    > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
                    without video
                    > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
                    sharpening) on
                    > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
                    leave
                    > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Carel Struycken

                  • erik leeman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1 4:53 PM
                      Hi Mahmood Hamidi,

                      Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                      QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                      trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                      aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                      detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                      so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                      will catch up with high quality content soon.
                      May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                      With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                      max FOV = 80
                      min FOV = 45
                      initial FOV = 60
                      Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                      (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                      compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                      image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                      the view too much.
                      Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                      certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                      flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                      should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                      difference!

                      Regards,

                      erik leeman

                      (www.erikleeman.com)
                    • jann_lipka
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1 10:35 PM
                        Mahmood,
                        Sorry I was not clear about "power cables "

                        Here comes a screen shot ( QTVR versions ) - comparison
                        of NK Pano of yours with a similar
                        pano crop of my own .mov file .

                        http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Jann_Lipka/Bild236-1.jpg

                        Keep the good work coming .

                        regards
                      • Mahmood Hamidi
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 2 1:21 AM
                          Hi Erik,

                          Thank you for your response.
                          I suspect that you have looke on "Nacka Strand (4)", but might be
                          wrong. There are 3 others in that serie which I suspect show more
                          shimmerings in water that (4) as no sharpening was applied to the
                          water in that one.
                          Also, regarding the saturation, I agree that this last nr 4 was the
                          greyest of all and therefore increased the it a little bit, how does
                          it look like now?
                          Or do you think that the others also suffer of the same flatness?

                          Mahmood

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Mahmood Hamidi,
                          >
                          > Deval Nacka Strand has less aliasing 'shimmers' on my screen than the
                          > QTVR one, and in both it is most visible in the boats and some of the
                          > trees. Unless a viewer is capable of (hardware supported) anti-
                          > aliasing it will always be there if there is any sharply defined
                          > detail in a moving image. Make murky, low-res VR's and it's gone, and
                          > so will be al detail and image quality. Let's hope viewing technology
                          > will catch up with high quality content soon.
                          > May I suggest an adjustment of your FOV settings?
                          > With VR's like these I think it would be better to use these:
                          > max FOV = 80
                          > min FOV = 45
                          > initial FOV = 60
                          > Zooming out as far as is possible now serves absolutely no purpose
                          > (in my mind at least) and zooming in all the way only reveals ugly
                          > compression artefacts, not detail. The initial FOV of 60 makes the
                          > image a little more 'quiet' regarding aliasing noise without limiting
                          > the view too much.
                          > Other than that I think the image is a bit 'greyish' overall. I
                          > certainly don't like oversaturated images, but this looks a bit too
                          > flat to me. Do you use a calibrated monitor? If you don't maybe you
                          > should consider buying the necessary gear, it really can make a huge
                          > difference!
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > erik leeman
                          >
                          > (www.erikleeman.com)

                        • erik leeman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 2 2:46 AM
                            Hi Mahmood,

                            Please be very careful with increasing saturation of a finished pano,
                            especially if it is only 8 bits in colourdepth! You'll get ugly
                            posterization (did I spell that correctly?) in clear skies and other
                            relatively featureless areas if you overdo it just the slightest bit!
                            It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                            work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                            already have.
                            I'll have a look at the others and PM you, OK?

                            Regards,

                            erik leeman

                            (www.erikleeman.com)
                          • Mahmood Hamidi
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 2 4:19 AM
                              --- "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                              > It is much better to make corrected RAW-conversions (I really hope you
                              > work with RAW and 16-bit TIFFs) and restitch using the script you
                              > already have.

                              Well, I corrected the saturation on my "almost finished" pano.
                              It was 16-bit tiff, extracted from RAW though, all the way to the
                              stiched pano.

                              Mahmood
                            • Carel
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 2 6:47 PM
                                Rookie2 wrote:

                                > How does the shimmering look on your computer with this panorama moving?
                                >
                                > Deval VR:
                                > http://www.360mh.com/ns04_dv.html
                                >
                                > QTVR:
                                > http://www.360mh.com/ns04.html
                                >
                                > Regarding the size, it got smaller than the others in the serie.
                                > N.S. 01: 3062 KB
                                > N.S. 02: 2675 KB
                                > N.S. 03: 2309 KB
                                > N.S. 04: 2154 KB
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Mahmood

                                Yes, it works as intended. The shimmering is not my main concern. it is just
                                an indicator. File size SHOULD be a big concern, because broadband speed
                                varies considerably from country to country and broadband speed is much
                                slower between continents. I therefore usually also compress the tiles
                                separately, compressing much more for the nadir unless there is something of
                                interest to see there. Usually my compression is: Pano2QTvr quality setting:
                                60 for Zenith (watch for banding in blue sky), 70 for four around and 40 for
                                nadir. I also sharpen on a separate layer and then mask out all the
                                unimportant parts.

                                Carel Struycken