HDR wishlist

  • Peter Crowley
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      I wish there was HDR software that did something like smartblend to
      adjust for moving objects when going through the registration of the
      images. So far I've looked at PFSTOOLS and FDRTOOLS and I've used
      hugin to align_stack, but everything seems to average the pixel
      offsets over the whole image, so the background aligns moderately
      well, but foreground objects, i.e. tree leaves or people, end up with
      a blur around them. I have several shots where a car drove by and all
      I have is a faint image of a taillight streaking across the image.

      -Peter
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
        On Fri 31-Aug-2007 at 20:57 -0000, Peter Crowley wrote:

        >I wish there was HDR software that did something like smartblend to
        >adjust for moving objects when going through the registration of the
        >images. So far I've looked at PFSTOOLS and FDRTOOLS and I've used
        >hugin to align_stack, but everything seems to average the pixel
        >offsets over the whole image,

        This was the subject of one of the recent 'summer of code' projects,
        which all finish today:

        http://hugindeghosting.blogspot.com/

        --
        Bruno
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
          Peter,

          I dont know how much use this is because I get the impression you are
          looking for an automated ghost removal workflow, but FDRTools has a setting
          I use a lot, called "separation", where one can interactively choose how
          much each image's histogram contributes to the HDR. This works quite well,
          although I still often have to patch small areas manually. On my P4 3.5 GHz
          adjusting the levels and watching the red mask shrink or grow is rather
          slow, but I have not tried the recently released newest beta yet.

          I guess one can do something similar in CS3 extended, but that requires more
          manual masking I believe (...?)

          Carel

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
            FDR tools appeared to do this just fine.

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com