short self-timer setting with a 5D -- good for tripod sequences and motorized

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2007
      It is possible to set the self-timer setting on a 5D to 2 secs
      (rather
      than the default 10sec) by using self-timer with mirror lock (and
      save
      this a Registered Setting which can be accessed quickly from the C
      setting on the exposure mode dial).

      http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t17191.html

      this a good default way of shooting normal tripod sequences -- ie.
      mirror lockup plus a short delay for the rig to settle absolutely

      also good with various motorized options I would think -- for
      example,
      I use a Zapshot transmitter to fire the rotation and shutter firing
      on
      one motorized head I have. One button on the transmitter fires the
      camera, the other fires the rotation action. Hold them both down at
      once and the camera rotates and fires shots continuously. To do stop
      start (normal pano) sequences with this you have to hold the rotation
      button down for a short time to rotate the camera an increment, let
      it go, wait till the vibration from the rotation stops, press the
      shutter firing button, wait til the exposure finishes, press the
      rotation button ...etc. With a 2 sec selftimer delay this timing is
      automated, so a simultaneous press of both buttons gives one a
      rotation, delay, shutter firing automatically.

      Peter
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • dmgalpha
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007

        > It is possible to set the self-timer setting on a 5D to 2 secs
        > (rather
        > than the default 10sec) by using self-timer with mirror lock (and
        > save
        > this a Registered Setting which can be accessed quickly from the C
        > setting on the exposure mode dial).

        Another alternative is to use a headphone plug (a typical one).

        Uncover the N3 connector, set the camera to mirror lockup and manual
        focus.

        Then touch lightly the 3 connectors with the tip of the plug. The
        first time it will raise the mirror. The second it will fire the camera.

        It is as good as a remote release, for those times you forgot to bring
        it along, but still carry your headphones. It of course requires 2
        operations instead of 1, but the camera shakes way less.

        dmg