First post

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
      Hello pano experts. I have been lurking long enough. I hope to have
      some positive things to add to this group in the not too distant
      future, but right now I am in need of information.

      I am mostly interested in creating very large (gigapixel) multi-row
      panos. My motherboard just died so this is a good time for me to
      upgrade to the proper hardware and software to accommodate my pano
      needs. I searched this list for motherboard and only found one post
      that might help. In that post, mention was made of using Photoshop
      CS3 with Win XP-64 and 12 G of RAM on a Tyan 2895 motherboard. So,
      what do people think? Is this the best combination? Is it overkill
      or underkill?

      I expect that I will be using something other than CS3 for stitching b
      ut I am not sure what is the best for that, either. Or maybe not. I
      have been to the Wiki and see that there are a LOT of programs out
      there. What I didn't see is which of them are most suited for very
      large multi-row panos. Can any of them use 12 G of RAM? Which is the
      fastest? So, I guess I am looking for recommendations of
      hardware/software combinations that will best suit my needs.

      Like I said, I hope to be more than a seeker of information in the
      future. In fact, I have some projects in the works that I think will
      interest everyone in this group. More on that later. Thanks for your
      help.

      -- Don
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        On 8/30/2007 12:59 PM, Don rambled on about ...:
        > Hello pano experts. I have been lurking long enough. I hope to have
        > some positive things to add to this group in the not too distant
        > future, but right now I am in need of information.
        >
        > I am mostly interested in creating very large (gigapixel) multi-row
        > panos. My motherboard just died so this is a good time for me to
        > upgrade to the proper hardware and software to accommodate my pano
        > needs. I searched this list for motherboard and only found one post
        > that might help. In that post, mention was made of using Photoshop
        > CS3 with Win XP-64 and 12 G of RAM on a Tyan 2895 motherboard. So,
        > what do people think? Is this the best combination? Is it overkill
        > or underkill?

        It's WAY overkill for use with CS3. Read this http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
        for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.

        Darn it.

        > I expect that I will be using something other than CS3 for stitching b
        > ut I am not sure what is the best for that, either. Or maybe not. I
        > have been to the Wiki and see that there are a LOT of programs out
        > there. What I didn't see is which of them are most suited for very
        > large multi-row panos. Can any of them use 12 G of RAM? Which is the
        > fastest? So, I guess I am looking for recommendations of
        > hardware/software combinations that will best suit my needs.
        >
        > Like I said, I hope to be more than a seeker of information in the
        > future. In fact, I have some projects in the works that I think will
        > interest everyone in this group. More on that later. Thanks for your
        > help.
        >
        > -- Don

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          Sometime around 2/9/07 (at 02:03 -0700) Pat Swovelin said:

          >It's WAY overkill for use with CS3. Read this http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
          >for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.
          >
          >Darn it.

          Darn it indeed.
          Just to be clear, this is Photoshop CS3's limit, not the overall
          limit for the whole suite. You can have Photoshop grabbing its
          maximum 3GB and launch other CS3 apps as well, each using whatever
          other RAM it needs and/or is available. So 8GB of RAM (for example)
          is a good thing even though Photoshop won't be able to use more than
          3GB.

          But yes, darn it about Photoshop CS3's RAM ceiling.

        • Don French
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
            Great article. I had not seen it before. It looks like Panorama
            Factory might be my best choice for stitching very large multi-row
            panos, although if Hugin also supports > 3G and takes advantage of
            multiple processors on Linux, I may have to create a dual boot system
            and give it a try. I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
            figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
            it is it worth it.

            > It's WAY overkill for use with CS3. Read this
            http://tinyurl.com/ysft7u
            > for the HOWs and WHYs of why CS3 can only address 3GB RAM.
            >
            > Darn it.

          • Yuval Levy
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
              Don French wrote:
              > I don't look forward to spending a lot of time
              > figuring out how to install and configure Linux though. I wonder if
              > it is it worth it.

              a release of the current hugin for windows is in the pipeline. if you
              can wait a few weeks, you don't need linux.

              that said, with ubuntu it is a breeze. there is not much to configure
              other than run the gui installer from the CD.

              hugin is part of the distribution, so also here not much to configure.
              the simplest way to get it is to start a terminal window and type the
              following three lines ($ is the command line prompt, type only what is
              behind that):

              $ sudo apt-get install libpano
              $ sudo apt-get install enblend
              $ sudo apt-get install hugin

              the first line gets you the panotools library.
              the second line gest you enblend.
              the third one installs hugin and you should see it right in your menu.

              even installing and compiling from source is not that difficult:

              1. get hugin from the repository:

              $ cd
              $ svn co https://hugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/hugin hugin
              $ cd hugin/hugin/trunk

              2. configure - ccmake does it all automatically, so all you have to do
              is press c to configure and g to save the configuration.

              $ ccmake .

              3. build. might take some time:

              $ make

              4. test.