Re: [PanoToolsNG] MAC or PC?

  • panokaemena@mac.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 27, 2007
      Ciao Renato

      As a Mac Owner User among 300000 PC users in my company I have to
      say get a Mac.....

      No virus problem no malware problem no antivirus software and so on
      No reformating ( my PC got very slow......). More productivity due to
      a better OS.

      Software is not a big consideration nowadays there is a lot
      available for Mac and for PC

      The speed of the current Macs is in nothing behind of a common PC..
      Stitching of a 5000/2500 equirect takes about 1-2 min

      and a Mac is for sure much nicer than a DULL alike box.

      And as you said if there is a PC software which you think is
      absolutely necessary for you.... run it on your Mac....

      Willy

      On Aug 27, 2007, at 17:22, Renato Bisacchi wrote:

      > Hi all! I'm considering about buying an iMAC. The thing is that I
      > must know
      > if a MAC is really much better than PC.
      >
      > I know that a MAC has much more imaging software than PC, and they
      > are much
      > easier to deal with. but what's making me think about it is how
      > faster a MAC
      > can be when processing images.
      >
      > I spend about 10 or 15 minutes to stich the images to get an
      > equire. And
      > that's one of the many steps to get the final output.
      >
      > What do you think about it? Would you sell your PC to buy an iMAC?
      > (I know
      > that we can run Windows within a MAC ;-))
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Renato

    • Steve Climpson
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 27, 2007
        On 27/8/07 15:22, "Renato Bisacchi" <bisacchi2@...> wrote:

        > Hi all! I'm considering about buying an iMAC. The thing is that I must know
        > if a MAC is really much better than PC.

        We run both systems but much prefer macs for ease of use, friendlier and
        less techie interface and overall sophistication of the OS. The designed
        look of the interface is IMO better if you spend all day long at a screen.
        It's no surprise that most professional creatives prefer mac and its nothing
        to do with being faster or slower but it is to do with visual awareness.
        Its analogous to having a nice car to drive, a poorly designed car will do
        the job but its somehow lacking.....

        If I am brutal honest the XP interface is primitive in comparison.

        Now watch the PC users attack my viewpoint :)

        Kind Regards

        Steve

        Steve Climpson
      • Robert Such
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 27, 2007
          As an ex-PC user (I switched about a month ago), I agree with the
          other Mac users who've responded. I'll not go back...

          Start using Mac OS X, the operating system, and you'll find yourself
          repeatedly saying "Oh man, that's cool..." I'd say the real Wow!
          comes with a Mac.

          RS

          On 27 Aug 2007, at 19:21, Steve Climpson wrote:

          > On 27/8/07 15:22, "Renato Bisacchi" <bisacchi2@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all! I'm considering about buying an iMAC. The thing is that I
          > must know
          > > if a MAC is really much better than PC.
          >
          > We run both systems but much prefer macs for ease of use,
          > friendlier and
          > less techie interface and overall sophistication of the OS. The
          > designed
          > look of the interface is IMO better if you spend all day long at a
          > screen.
          > It's no surprise that most professional creatives prefer mac and
          > its nothing
          > to do with being faster or slower but it is to do with visual
          > awareness.
          > Its analogous to having a nice car to drive, a poorly designed car
          > will do
          > the job but its somehow lacking.....
          >
          > If I am brutal honest the XP interface is primitive in comparison.
          >
          > Now watch the PC users attack my viewpoint :)
          >
          > Kind Regards
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > Steve Climpson

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 27, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Renato Bisacchi" <bisacchi2@...> wrote:

            > Hi all! I'm considering about buying an iMAC. The thing is that I must know
            > if a MAC is really much better than PC.
            > I know that a MAC has much more imaging software than PC, and they are much
            > easier to deal with. but what's making me think about it is how faster a MAC
            > can be when processing images.
            > I spend about 10 or 15 minutes to stich the images to get an equire. And
            > that's one of the many steps to get the final output.

            A couple of weeks ago we made a speedtest in this forum.
            http://lookineverydirection.com/projects/ptgui_speedtest/

            Here are the results of similar machines on Mac and Win.
            They speak for them self

            MACBooK pro 15" 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo: 1.05
            MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz: 1.09
            Mac Pro 8-core Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3gHz: 29 sec

            X86-based PCIntel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz: 2.38
            CORE2 x86 GenuineIntel ~2393 Mhz: 1.50
            DualCore x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz: 1.40

            These tests was made on a setup with only 3 images using Panotools warping in PTGui.
            The difference is seen mainly in the warping times which means that you will get much
            larger differences if you do panos with many images.