OT: Geotagging to fight street tagging

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
      As many of you have started to geotag panoramas, I figured this might be an
      interesting news blip on the use of digital cameras that add GPS info to the
      exif. Something I currently use roboGeo for.
      http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_6722753

      Carel Struycken

    • Andrey Ilyin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
        Little gadget for enthusiasts of geo-tagging (Nikon users only sorry)
        - http://www.di-gps.com/di-GPS/n2.htm

        Want one :)

        Andrey
      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
          On 26 Aug 2007, at 19:31, Andrey Ilyin wrote:

          > Little gadget for enthusiasts of geo-tagging (Nikon users only sorry)
          > - http://www.di-gps.com/di-GPS/n2.htm
          >
          > Want one :)

          Try a Sony GPS-CS1 at a third of the price, plus some free software.
          Works with *any* camera and costs a third of the price... ;-)

          <http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPS-CS1-CyberShot-Digital-Cameras/dp/
          B000HDIYEO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4766858-8652022?
          ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188158841&sr=8-2>

          <http://tinyurl.com/2rd2km>

          Ian
        • Carel
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
            Ian Wood-2 wrote:

            > Try a Sony GPS-CS1 at a third of the price, plus some free software.
            > Works with *any* camera and costs a third of the price... ;-)
            >
            > <http://tinyurl.com/2rd2km>
            >
            > Ian

            I think this one has a newer (higher sensitivity and longer battery life)
            GPS chip:
            http://tinyurl.com/3bqchh
            I am using the Airis, a Pocket PC with built in Sifr III chip, but it is a
            bit temperamentfull. Once it is locks on it is ok, but it sometimes takes a
            while to lock on.

            Carel
          • thomas_krueger_panoviews
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
              Got a Wintec WBT-201 data logger, it has also Bluetooth if you want it
              to use with other devices:
              http://www.semsons.com/wiwbmu3gpsre2.html
              http://www.skybert.de/hardware/reviews/wintec201.htm (german)
              http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/support_detail.php?cate_id=11&support_id=65

              Nice, very small and lightweight gadget.
              You can write GPS data with the program Time Machine X into jpg files
              or there is a workaround with OziPhotoTool to write data into Canon
              raw files:
              http://www.oziphototool.com/smf/index.php?topic=124.0
            • dmgalpha
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                > As many of you have started to geotag panoramas, I figured this
                might be an
                > interesting news blip on the use of digital cameras that add GPS
                info to the
                > exif. Something I currently use roboGeo for.
                > http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_6722753
                >
                > Carel Struycken

                Any GPS with tracking can be used for geo-tagging. First synchronize
                the clocks of camera and GPS. Then just track your path, dump the data
                into a readable format, and match the timestamp of photo to location.
                That is what the Sony GPS for cameras does.

                dmg