Large Flash Pano, Isar Lat Tower

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 25, 2007
      I don't know what the file size limits are with Flash but here's a
      large pano that's about 6 MB. This is another view from the Isar Lat
      tower in Jaipur India:
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower/jaipur.swf

      Enjoy,
      Roger Berry
    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25, 2007
        Absolutely Wonderful Roger!
        The amount of detail is staggering, lots of interesting things to see.
        If this kind of filesize is needed for this kind of image so be it, it
        is WELL worth the wait. With ADSL (here in the Netherlands) that wait
        wasn't very long, loading was quick and without interruptions. Rotation
        of the pano is smooth and the image is sharp even on the old laptop I'm
        using right now.

        Regards.

        erik leeman
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25, 2007
          Roger Berry wrote:

          > I don't know what the file size limits are with Flash but here's a
          > large pano that's about 6 MB. This is another view from the Isar Lat
          > tower in Jaipur India:
          > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower/jaipur.swf
          >
          > Enjoy,
          > Roger Berry

          Roger, assuming that you used the same Canon 20D/Sigma 8mm here, what
          warrants a 6MB file? Assuming you used 1600pixel cubefaces, and reasonable
          compression, would'nt you end up with a much smaller file?

          Carel

        • Roger Berry
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 25, 2007
            This is the tower at 5.80 MB without reducing the size of the cubes,
            2348 pixels (as shot)
            http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower/jaipur.swf

            and here is the same view at 3.26 MB with reducing the cubes to 1600
            pixels.
            http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower2/jaipur.swf

            I opened them both up at the same time on my 24 inch screen, putting
            them side-by-side and I like the large one.

            I may go back and do a little fixing up on the photo by using some
            telephoto shots I took with my 70-200mm lens. Just something simple
            like overlaying an image of the fort upon the hill with a sharp
            telephoto one.

            Roger Berry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

            > Roger Berry wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't know what the file size limits are with Flash but here's
            > > large pano that's about 6 MB. This is another view from the Isar
            Lat
            > > tower in Jaipur India:
            > > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower/jaipur.swf
            > >
            > > Enjoy,
            > > Roger Berry
            > >

            > Roger, assuming that you used the same Canon 20D/Sigma 8mm here,
            what
            > warrants a 6MB file? Assuming you used 1600pixel cubefaces, and
            reasonable
            > compression, would'nt you end up with a much smaller file?
            >
            > Carel

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

              > This is the tower at 5.80 MB without reducing the size of the cubes,
              > 2348 pixels (as shot)
              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower/jaipur.swf
              >
              > and here is the same view at 3.26 MB with reducing the cubes to 1600
              > pixels.
              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower2/jaipur.swf
              >
              > I opened them both up at the same time on my 24 inch screen, putting
              > them side-by-side and I like the large one.

              I took a screenshot of them side by side and as far as I can see there is no extra details in
              the large one.
              The difference you may see is probably because of the reduction in sharpness you get
              when you reduce the size. A small unsharp mask and they are the same.

              In theory your real resolution is 0.7x 2348 = 1643
              Digital cameras cheat with the size of pixels.

              Hans
            • Roger Berry
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
                Here's a screen shot test shot that I did of the 2 panos, the one is
                from the 3.26 MB cube 1600 pixels. The other is from the 5.80 MB cube
                2348 pixels.
                http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/test-2.jpg

                I can see a little difference (very slight), but probably not enough
                that justifies over 2 more MB in file size. I think that I will stick
                with 1600 pixels or should that be 1601 like Pano2QTVR changes it to.

                Thanks Hans,

                Roger Berry

                > I took a screenshot of them side by side and as far as I can see
                there is no extra details in
                > the large one.
                > The difference you may see is probably because of the reduction in
                sharpness you get
                > when you reduce the size. A small unsharp mask and they are the
                same.

                > In theory your real resolution is 0.7x 2348 = 1643
                > Digital cameras cheat with the size of pixels.
                >
                > Hans

              • Carel
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
                  Roger Berry wrote:

                  > I may go back and do a little fixing up on the photo by using some
                  > telephoto shots I took with my 70-200mm lens. Just something simple
                  > like overlaying an image of the fort upon the hill with a sharp
                  > telephoto one.
                  >
                  > Roger Berry
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                  I see that Hans has saved me some work :-) I was preparing an answer,
                  incorporating quotes of his arguments from the other link on optimal size
                  and extra large screens.

                  I am very curious how you are going to overlay the longer lens image. If
                  blended in with the 8mm equirect you would get some more detail, but it
                  would be great if there was a way to have the viewer "switch" to the larger
                  resolution image for that area. With the current plugins one can have the
                  high rez image pop up in the pano, but it would be great if pano plugins
                  could somehow incorporate the high rez image into the equirect and allow a
                  much higher zoom-in just in that area.

                  Carel

                • Roger Berry
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
                    Here's a view from inside the Isar Lat tower looking out over Jaipur
                    India:
                    http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/tower3/inside.swf

                    This pano had a lot wrong with it and took far too long to fix in
                    PhotoShop.

                    Roger Berry
                  • Roger Berry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                      From an old fort wall above the town of Amber (Amer) off on the far
                      hill is the Amber fort and above that is the Jaigarh fort. In the small
                      town below there are about 60 elephants and you can get an elephant
                      ride up to the fort for about $10.00 USD
                      http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/amber2/amber.swf

                      Shot with a Canon 20D, Sigma 8mm lens on top of a 17 foot pole.
                      Cube size 2336 pixels saved in CS3 at quality setting-7 for a file size
                      of 3.43 MB

                      And some people thought I only took photos of camels,
                      Roger Berry
                    • Roger Berry
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                        Jaigarh Fort
                        This pano opens up looking at the town of Amber (Amer) and the lake
                        below the Amber fort which is very low from it being a dry year. Often
                        you will see elephants it this lake.
                        Moving to the right is a larger lake called the Jal Mahal (Palace on
                        Lake) continuing to the right you see a cannon under a shelter. This is
                        the famous Jaivana cannon cast in 1720, its 20 feet long and weighs 50
                        tons.
                        Pano taken with a Canon 20D, Sigma 8mm lens on a 17 foot pole. File
                        size 3.85 MB
                        http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/fort3/jai.swf

                        Cheers,
                        Roger Berry
                      • Dave 360texas.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                          Excellent view - I feel I have just traveled to India with out
                          leaving my computer desk.

                          Thank you Roger

                          wrote:

                          > Jaigarh Fort
                          > This pano opens up looking at the town of Amber (Amer) and the
                          lake
                          > below the Amber fort which is very low from it being a dry year.
                          Often
                          > you will see elephants it this lake.
                          > Moving to the right is a larger lake called the Jal Mahal (Palace
                          on
                          > Lake) continuing to the right you see a cannon under a shelter.
                          This is
                          > the famous Jaivana cannon cast in 1720, its 20 feet long and
                          weighs 50
                          > tons.
                          > Pano taken with a Canon 20D, Sigma 8mm lens on a 17 foot pole.
                          File
                          > size 3.85 MB
                          > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/fort3/jai.swf
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Roger Berry

                        • Roger Berry
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                            From up above at the Jaigarh Fort you could see the Jal Mahal (Palace
                            on Lake)
                            Well now you can go there too!
                            http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/lake/lake.swf

                            When I learn how I will be adding hotspots so you can travel from one
                            pano to the other but so far I haven't been able to get them to work.

                            Roger Berry
                          • Roger Berry
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                              Kite Festival in Japur India.
                              This is not what you may think, fancy kites, no not here. There are
                              thousands of handmade kites in the air and it's a war were you try to
                              capture the other persons kite. You cross your kite string over theirs
                              and quickly pull your string back-and-forth to cut theirs. On this day
                              I was up at the Amber Fort and spent about 2 hours riding one of the
                              elephants below back into town as hundreds of kites were falling out of
                              the sky all around me. It was quite an experience!
                              Up here on the rooftops there was loud music playing, people flying
                              kites and long sticks waving along the skyline as people try to snag
                              kite strings.
                              http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/festival/kite.swf

                              Roger Berry
                            • Andrey Ilyin
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 28, 2007
                                Don't belive to my eyes! You shoot NON-pole panos too?!! :-D