Testing 1-2-3

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25 3:37 PM
      Would someone be so kind to test this one for me?

      <www.erikleeman.com/QT/en-07-06-25-FontainedesAmours-1024x768-DEVAL.htm>

      Please note that it is 3.64MB as .mov (and 3.74MB as Flash9.swf).
      What you think about the Deval version is what I'm interested in most,
      I'd like to know if compression is too high or not.

      The dark and gloomy atmosphere are intentional, the weather was very
      bad. Sadly the zenit and nadir were ruined by numerous raindrops on the
      lens (it drizzled a bit when I started, but halfway it REALLY started
      to rain). A weathersealed 5D would have been soooooo much better for
      me : )

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,

      erik leeman
    • Renato Bisacchi
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25 4:27 PM
        Very good Erik!!

        The only thing you forgot is to tell if the latitude is North or South and
        if longitude is West or East!! :-)

        But anyway, it’s a beautiful place and a quality panorama. Well done!

        Renato

        Enviada em: sábado, 25 de agosto de 2007 19:37
        Para: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        Assunto: [PanoToolsNG] Testing 1-2-3

        Would someone be so kind to test this one for me?

        <www.erikleeman.com/QT/en-07-06-25-FontainedesAmours-1024x768-DEVAL.htm>

        Please note that it is 3.64MB as .mov (and 3.74MB as Flash9.swf).
        What you think about the Deval version is what I'm interested in most,
        I'd like to know if compression is too high or not.

        The dark and gloomy atmosphere are intentional, the weather was very
        bad. Sadly the zenit and nadir were ruined by numerous raindrops on the
        lens (it drizzled a bit when I started, but halfway it REALLY started
        to rain). A weathersealed 5D would have been soooooo much better for
        me : )

        Thanks in advance.

        Regards,

        erik leeman

        _____

        Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail <http://mail.terra.com.br/>
        Protegido Terra.
        Scan engine: McAfee VirusScan / Atualizado em 24/08/2007 / Versão:
        5.1.00/5105
        Proteja o seu e-mail Terra: http://mail.terra.com.br/

      • Chris Thomas
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25 9:42 PM
          Erik.

          I'm on XP Pro running Firefox Ver. 2.0.0.6

          Your interface comes up

          Viewer selector is set "Automatic Detection

          Pano doesn't load...grey. everything else it there.

          DervalVR doesn't load either.

          Quicktime loads and works

          Flash works too.

          Chris Thomas

          Photographer

          cell... 403-615-1212

          In North America

          call... 1-800-870-5110

          Would someone be so kind to test this one for me?

          <www.erikleeman.com/QT/en-07-06-25-FontainedesAmours-1024x768-DEVAL.htm>

          Please note that it is 3.64MB as .mov (and 3.74MB as Flash9.swf).
          What you think about the Deval version is what I'm interested in most,
          I'd like to know if compression is too high or not.
          [Chris Thomas] snip

        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25 9:43 PM
            Thank you Renato!
            The point is I find it difficult with this one to judge the required
            image quality for a convincing impression, especially in the water.
            This might be the first one where I will actually set a LOWER
            compression for the bottom cubeface. That's why I'm interested in the
            Deval version (@ full screen through it's own little menu in the bottom-
            left corner), with the Flash version all tiles have to have the same
            setting.

            Those coordinates come straight from GoogleEarth, so if you use them
            (if you can read them) they should bring you back to the same spot : )

            Regards,

            erik leeman
          • erik leeman
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25 10:05 PM
              Thanks Chris, I'll forward this info to Fiero (the maker of DevalVR).
              Did you have the DevalVR plugin installed, and if so, what version? If
              not the plugin detection apparently failed to work properly.

              Regards,

              erik leeman
            • Andrei Zdetovetchi
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26 1:56 AM
                Hi Erik,

                On my WinXP, with FF 2.0.0.6, the pano loaded just fine. The automatic detection selected DevalVR, and I've looked at it in full screen.
                I've noticed that your FOV is between 45 and 80 degrees. Personally I think that 3.64Mb it too much for just 45 degrees fov. What face size did you used? I know that I'm targeting my panos betwen 1 - 2 mb and are looking ok even on fullscreen. So, for over 3,5Mb I was expecting a bigger zoom.
                In rest, everything is ok, too bad about the raindrops on zenith.

                Best regards,
                Andrei Zdetovetchi

                the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
                flick photostream - http://www.flick.com/photos/zdeto

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26 3:19 AM
                  Thank you for having a look Andrei.
                  The cubefaces I use for the large versions are always 2100x2100 pixels.
                  Filesizes however range from 1.71 to 4.62MB, depending on the scene.
                  QTVR's filled with a lot of minute detail and with almost no
                  featureless surfaces (like this one) will be around 4MB even with
                  Pano2QTVR quality set as low as 60. But then zooming in beyond 45
                  degrees will reveal ugly artefacts. With this one the artefacts are
                  clearly visible in the water even at 60 degrees, but I'd like to know
                  if it spoils the overall impression.
                  I want the fullscreen versions to look absolutely perfect on really
                  large screens, but with practical filesizes if possible.
                  At the moment I am downsizing all of them to a cubesize of 1050x1050,
                  so I can make decent preview pages with a window size of about 600x450
                  for 'browsing' through the collection without having to download all
                  those large files. Filesizes of these range from 546kB to 1.38MB.
                  The plan is to make these the default versions with an option for
                  downloading and viewing the (proper) fullscreen versions so people will
                  at least know what they are waiting for : )

                  Regards,

                  erik leeman
                • Flemming V. Larsen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 26 3:43 AM
                    It also load fine here on the same combination.
                    About the file size you have to consider the contents of the image.
                    When I do my hotels there is huge difference in filesize between the scenes
                    with the same tilesize and compression.
                    The outdoor front-scenery with with a lawn occupying 40% of the image and
                    perhaps some trees and flowersbeds is often 4-5 times bigger than the
                    single-room with white-walls.
                    Grass and leaves just doesn't compress that well in jpeg.

                    - Flemming

                    > On my WinXP, with FF 2.0.0.6, the pano loaded just fine. The automatic
                    > detection selected DevalVR, and I've looked at it in full screen.
                    > I've noticed that your FOV is between 45 and 80 degrees. Personally I
                    > think that 3.64Mb it too much for just 45 degrees fov. What face size did
                    > you used? I know that I'm targeting my panos betwen 1 - 2 mb and are
                    > looking ok even on fullscreen. So, for over 3,5Mb I was expecting a bigger
                    > zoom.
                    > In rest, everything is ok, too bad about the raindrops on zenith.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Andrei Zdetovetchi

                  • Chris Thomas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 26 11:00 AM
                      Hi Erik.

                      I have DevalVR 3D Plugin 0,5,4,3 installed.

                      I haven't had any trouble with it.

                      Cheers

                      chris

                      Chris Thomas

                      Photographer

                      cell... 403-615-1212

                      In North America

                      call... 1-800-870-5110

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 26 11:11 AM
                        Hi Chris,

                        "I have DevalVR 3D Plugin 0,5,4,3 installed."

                        The latest version is 0,5,8,1
                        Could you be so kind to see if it works after updating the plugin on
                        your machine? I'm sure Fiero would like to know that : )

                        Regards,

                        erik leeman

                        (www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen-english-DEVAL.htm)
                      • Chris Thomas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 26 12:59 PM
                          Hi Erik.

                          I think it was my machine..

                          I reloaded my 0,5,4,3 plugin and tried your page again and it worked
                          immediately

                          In Auto mode.... I switched it to Deval, quit the brouser, restarted and it
                          loaded and

                          Played the Deval right away.

                          Have 0,5,8,1 now- thank you

                          The pano looks great.

                          As a photographer.... I have to say; I enjoyed looking at rain on somebody
                          else's lens!

                          It's more interesting to me the way it is....

                          Thanks for sharing with us..

                          Chris Thomas

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 26 6:30 PM
                            Hi, Erik,

                            You replied to Chris...

                            On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:11:07 +0900, erik leeman <erik.leeman@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi Chris,
                            >
                            > "I have DevalVR 3D Plugin 0,5,4,3 installed."
                            >
                            > The latest version is 0,5,8,1
                            > Could you be so kind to see if it works after updating the plugin on
                            > your machine? I'm sure Fiero would like to know that : )

                            My experience was similar but a little different. I had an earlier version
                            of DevalVR installed, and and got a message to "install the DevalVR
                            plugin."
                            I thought this was probably because my version was outdated, and clicked
                            to download and install. Then when I returned to your screen which had said
                            "click here once you have installed DevalVR" it worked very well. Very
                            smooth, beautiful rendering... all the usual DevalVR virtues and a very
                            nice panorama, too.

                            You captured the gloomy atmosphere very well. And I wondered what the
                            strange effect at the zenith was--now I know it was from raindrops!

                            Roger W.

                            --
                            Work: www.adex-japan.com
                            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger