HD View for FireFox

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
      Microsoft's HD View is now available for FireFox I just discovered. Maybe
      this is old news...

      Carel Struycken
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
        Microsoft's HD View is now available for FireFox I just discovered. Maybe
        this is old news...
        I also found this:
        http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10491
        Does this mean that microsoft's HD, also refered to as "JPEG XR" is going to
        be the new format? It sure looks better than anything else I have seen at
        these compression ratios.

        Carel Struycken
      • Dave 360texas.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
          As I understand it.. about Last March 2007

          Microsoft has or will present this JPEG-XR to the JPEG Standards
          Group as a replacement for jpeg file format. I also understand that
          the current version of VISTA already is setup for JPEG-XR file
          format and that the major camera companies are embracing this new
          file format type replacement.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

          > Microsoft's HD View is now available for FireFox I just
          discovered. Maybe
          > this is old news...
          > I also found this:
          > http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10491
          > Does this mean that microsoft's HD, also refered to as "JPEG XR"
          is going to
          > be the new format? It sure looks better than anything else I have
          seen at
          > these compression ratios.
          >
          > Carel Struycken

        • Carel
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
            HD View also mentions it handles HDR, supposedly though HD Photo. At the
            IVRPA conference in Berkeley the ms HD View team was demonstrating "the
            making off" a gigapixel image. They mentioned that all pre-stitched images
            were shot using automatic exposure (so they all had wildly differing
            exposure levels). The light level is dynamically adjusted when one zooms in.
            I did not get the details on the workflow for making these images. I wonder
            if HD View does tonal adjustments on the fly or if there is some
            pre-processing necessary.
            When you zoom in on the darker parts of the image at
            http://www.xrez.com/hdview/index.html you can see some brightening. It
            falls apart when you zoom in on parts of the sky though.

            Carel
          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
              > Does this mean that microsoft's HD, also refered to as "JPEG XR" is going to
              > be the new format? It sure looks better than anything else I have seen at
              > these compression ratios.

              In respects of displaying HDR images, the Microsoft .wdp indeed looks
              interesting - but to use it with HDView's "Auto Tone Adjust" you need to
              be a little patient: Current beta of HDView only supports LDR images. To
              my knowledge, HDR will be adressed in one of the future beta versions...
              I've summarized some information about it here:
              http://thepanoramablog.blogspot.com/2007/08/microsoft-hdview-and-dynamic-range.html

              Best regards
              Bernhard
            • Carel
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2007
                Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

                > In respects of displaying HDR images, the Microsoft .wdp indeed looks
                > interesting - but to use it with HDView's "Auto Tone Adjust" you need to
                > be a little patient: Current beta of HDView only supports LDR images. To
                > my knowledge, HDR will be adressed in one of the future beta versions...
                > I've summarized some information about it here:
                > http://thepanoramablog.blogspot.com/2007/08/microsoft-hdview-and-dynamic-range.html
                >
                > Best regards
                > Bernhard

                The "auto tone adjust" works very nicely, except when one points at a bright
                sky. I see you put the Gigabot to work. The Klausenpasse with "High Tone
                Adjust" looks great! The tone adjust has the opposite effect on the very
                distant town on the Ebensee. It actually has more contrast with NO adjust.
                It is asif HD View overcompensates like it does with a bright sky and then
                the effect looks solarized.

                The remaining mystery is how the HD View team shoots the pre-stitched images
                on auto exposure. Still not clear at what moment in the workflow these
                images get normalized.

                Carel

              • Robert C. Fisher
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 26, 2007
                  OK I'm on a Mac OS 10.4.8 I just downloaded the HDView plugin for
                  Firefox, there is no apparent way to install this how do I do it?

                  Dumb question I know.

                  On Aug 25, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Carel wrote:

                  > HD View also mentions it handles HDR, supposedly though HD Photo.
                  > At the
                  > IVRPA conference in Berkeley the ms HD View team was demonstrating
                  > "the
                  > making off" a gigapixel image. They mentioned that all pre-stitched
                  > images
                  > were shot using automatic exposure (so they all had wildly differing
                  > exposure levels). The light level is dynamically adjusted when one
                  > zooms in.
                  > I did not get the details on the workflow for making these images.
                  > I wonder
                  > if HD View does tonal adjustments on the fly or if there is some
                  > pre-processing necessary.
                  > When you zoom in on the darker parts of the image at
                  > http://www.xrez.com/hdview/index.html you can see some brightening. It
                  > falls apart when you zoom in on parts of the sky though.
                  >
                  > Carel

                  Cheers
                  Robert C. Fisher
                  VR Photography/Cinematography
                • Bernhard Vogl
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                    > The tone adjust has the opposite effect on the very distant
                    > town on the Ebensee. It actually has more contrast with NO adjust.

                    My first though was that you are completely wrong :-)
                    But i have found a computer that shows your described effect. Really weird - the only thing i can imagine is, that it is dependend on the graphics card. This should be submitted as a bug report to the development team.

                    > It is asif HD View overcompensates like it does with a bright sky and
                    > then the effect looks solarized.

                    Same as above. Seemengly needs some fine tuning...

                    > The remaining mystery is how the HD View team shoots the pre-stitched
                    > images
                    > on auto exposure. Still not clear at what moment in the workflow these
                    > images get normalized.

                    At the moment, you can coose between 2 software packages that are able to "normalize" auto exposed images: Hugin and Autopano Pro - both in their latest beta/alpha versions.

                    Best regards
                    Bernhard