Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to protect Partial Panoramas ?

  • Mr. Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
      On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:40 AM, Bob R. wrote:

      > --- "Mr. Roger Howard" <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
      >

      >> http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice09pano/
      >> http://gallery.rogerroger.org/zoom/20060715venice10pano/
      >>
      >> This isn't 100% foolproof of course - it is possible to reconstruct
      >
      > Using the print screen button and photoshop I'm able to capture usable
      > "slices" of 1578 x 744 pixels. The original seems to be about 3200
      > pixels high, so it would probably take an hour or so to get all the
      > bits and put them together by hand at full resolution. But I could
      > capture 5 or 6 at screen resolution, and still have a very useful
      > image.

      Which I acknowledged - frankly, anything you can see you can copy.
      It's a risk/reward calculation. I can provide a tool - which I won't,
      so don't ask! - which could create a complete, high-resolution copy
      of these panoramas (and almost any other posted using Zoomify) in
      minutes, not hours. But as I said, for casual protection, a Flash-
      based player with remotely hosted content will stop typical users.
      Nothing will stop sophisticated technologists bent on copying your
      content. Since I don't make a living selling these panoramas, the
      risk is low and the reward is high. For other scenarios all will have
      to determine the results of this calculation themselves.

      These risks exist with ALL player technology. We can reconstruct
      editable files from almost any player solution that will result in as
      much resolution as the content provider allows you to see.