electrical rotating device ( a dream only ? )

  • jann_lipka
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2007
      I wonder if there is some commercially available kind of simple rotating device,
      sturdy and small enough to put on a lightweight pole, and with ability to make a fast,
      reliable turn of 90 or 120 degrees .
      With so many Panorama Heads vendors right now , I'm somewhat surprised
      that the only rotating devices are click stop rotators.

      I read also about power screwdriver adaptation,
      but I would rather spend my moneyon more proffessional device.

      PS:
      I've been looking at
      www.harbortronics.com
      "snap 360" device, but I'm a alittle scared abot its bulk and price, it seems also that it is a
      little slow, I would love a quick switch of 90 degrees like 1- 2 seconds ( snap 360 gives 6
      seconds for that angle ) ?

      Anyone using something similar ?
    • Wayne Heil
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
        Seitz Phototechnik AG

        Hauptstr. 14

        8512 Lustdorf

        Switzerland

        ph: +41 52 376 3353

        fax: +41 52 376 3305

        www.roundshot.ch

        The RoundShot pano head is very light and a terrific product. You can adjust
        the number of steps around - up to 75, the degrees, the hold time at each
        point and the number of shots per location for HDR - all completely
        automatic. The only drawback is that it costs about $2,100 USD. But for me
        it is easily worth it.

        Wayne

      • jann_lipka
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
          Thanks Wayne,

          Seitz option ( high cost aside ) looks good,
          from what I see they sell it only with a pano bracket ( is it good ?, anyone using it ?)
          It can be set on 180 degrees "snap " max
          ( that is good if you intend to shoot fast with 10 mm on FF max 3 frames per 360 degrees )
          but it looks slow needing 16 seconds ( for more heavy camera ) with a 360 degrees rotation
          , that would mean - more then 5 seconds for 120 degrees . Ages . I could live with max 2
          seconds + 2 sec getting rid of vibrations .
          1 second for 120 degrees jump would be nice .
          Such a slow operation makes this device useless,
          as manual rotation would be so much faster ..
          Or am I wrong somewhere ?
        • Wayne Heil
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
            This is the exact setup used by Matthias Taugwalder in shooting his Swiss
            mountain top panoramas such as the Matterhorn. The pano bracket is very
            sturdy and well made. It is at least as sturdy as my Kaidan spherical
            bracket. I have only just acquired this equipment so I have not field tested
            it. I use a Nikon D200 with the 10.5mm and it took 47 seconds to take 6
            images from start to stop with a 1/3 sec exposure time. It does allow you to
            put the tripod in places that are awkward or impossible to stand in. I was
            with Matthias in Yosemite and he seemed to be able to shoot quickly with it
            but perhaps not as fast as manually movement.

            Wayne

            RjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMxMj
            I3NQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTg3NzIxNDM4> electrical rotating
            device ( a dream only ? )

            Posted by: "jann_lipka"
            <mailto:jann@...?Subject=%20Re%3Aelectrical%20rotating%20device%20%28%2
            0a%20dream%20only%20%3F%20%29> jann@...
            <http://profiles.yahoo.com/jann_lipka> jann_lipka

            Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:16 am (PST)

            Thanks Wayne,

            Seitz option ( high cost aside ) looks good,
            from what I see they sell it only with a pano bracket ( is it good ?, anyone
            using it ?)
            It can be set on 180 degrees "snap " max
            ( that is good if you intend to shoot fast with 10 mm on FF max 3 frames per
            360 degrees )
            but it looks slow needing 16 seconds ( for more heavy camera ) with a 360
            degrees rotation
            , that would mean - more then 5 seconds for 120 degrees . Ages . I could
            live with max 2
            seconds + 2 sec getting rid of vibrations .
            1 second for 120 degrees jump would be nice .
            Such a slow operation makes this device useless,
            as manual rotation would be so much faster ..
            Or am I wrong somewhere ?

          • Matthias Taugwalder
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 22, 2007
              Hi Jann and Wayne,

              You can adjust in the VR drive settings three different speeds: 1) rotation
              time, 2) time before the shot and 3) time after the shot. The smallest
              rotation time is 4s, for the two others 0.5s. So for example with my D200
              and 10.5mm lens I shoot 6 shots around. That gives about 10s for one row.

              The main reason I'm using the VR drive is that it's with 1.5kg one of the
              lighter full-spherical panoramic heads. The battery integrated in the bottom
              column of the device and lasts very long. I haven't managed it to unload it
              once. And you can trust me, that I tried very hard... ;-) During the last
              year I was also using it for shooting high resolution panoramas consisting
              of up to 300 shots. With the current firmware version you can shoot up to 72
              shots per row. You then simply have to adjust the tilt by hand if you're
              shooting multi-row.

              What the VR doesn't have is a mode with continous rotation. As I assume you
              have in mind, such as Peter Murphys rotating device. You might also want to
              check out this page, see
              http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Poleposition/Poleposition.html

              Don't hesitate to contact me off-list if you have further questions.

              Best regards from Switzerland,

              Matthias

              --
              Matthias Taugwalder
              matthias.taugwalder@...

            • Carel
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 23, 2007
                Hi Matthias,

                Regarding your Roundshot, which I saw you use in a video, dancing on that
                razor sharp rock:
                Are you using it with the Seitz panohead? I thought of just using it with a
                locked Nodal Ninja.
                When you shoot multi-row, do you ever use it on an extra long tripod, like
                Ian Wood seems to do a lot with his robo-head? It seems that with such a
                setup the manual change of pitch would be a problem.
                And finally, do you know of a magic trick to get a discount...?

                Carel Struycken

                Matthias Taugwalder wrote:

                > Hi Jann and Wayne,
                >
                > You can adjust in the VR drive settings three different speeds: 1)
                > rotation
                > time, 2) time before the shot and 3) time after the shot. The smallest
                > rotation time is 4s, for the two others 0.5s. So for example with my D200
                > and 10.5mm lens I shoot 6 shots around. That gives about 10s for one row.
                >
                > The main reason I'm using the VR drive is that it's with 1.5kg one of the
                > lighter full-spherical panoramic heads. The battery integrated in the
                > bottom
                > column of the device and lasts very long. I haven't managed it to unload
                > it
                > once. And you can trust me, that I tried very hard... ;-) During the last
                > year I was also using it for shooting high resolution panoramas consisting
                > of up to 300 shots. With the current firmware version you can shoot up to
                > 72
                > shots per row. You then simply have to adjust the tilt by hand if you're
                > shooting multi-row.
                >
                > What the VR doesn't have is a mode with continous rotation. As I assume
                > you
                > have in mind, such as Peter Murphys rotating device. You might also want
                > check out this page, see
                > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Poleposition/Poleposition.html
                >
                > Don't hesitate to contact me off-list if you have further questions.
                >

                > Best regards from Switzerland,
                >
                > Matthias
                >
                > --
                > Matthias Taugwalder
                > matthias.taugwalder@...

              • Matthias Taugwalder
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Hi Carel

                  Are you using it with the Seitz panohead? I thought of just using it with a
                  locked Nodal Ninja.

                  Yes, I'm using the Seitz panohead. Which is really light and accurate. The
                  VR drive comes together with it, but you can easily detach it. Although I'm
                  not quite sure how much weight the rotating base can take...

                  When you shoot multi-row, do you ever use it on an extra long tripod, like
                  Ian Wood seems to do a lot with his robo-head? It seems that with such a
                  setup the manual change of pitch would be a problem.

                  Yes, for the recent project I did for the Swiss National Museum I used
                  exactly the exact tripod as Ian uses. I shot "normal" panoramas, but also
                  high-resolution ones (30 x 10 images) This means center column up - shoot
                  one row - center column down - adjust tilt - center column up, etc. You can
                  use it together with a cable release. If you're shooting multirow, each row
                  will differ a bit, since the tripod center column is not always at the same
                  spot. But you can easily shift the pan settings of these images afterwards
                  in PTgui.

                  And finally, do you know of a magic trick to get a discount...?

                  I had the chance to get a used one, which was rented out by a photographic
                  gear company. So that's perhaps one place to start... Well, perhaps the have
                  a TV celebrity discount... ;-)

                  Greetings from Switzerland,

                  Matthias

                  --
                  Matthias Taugwalder
                  matthias.taugwalder@...

                • Wayne Heil
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 24, 2007
                    According to IVRPA Seitz offers a 10% discount to members. Unfortunately, I
                    didn't see this until after I bought it. Anyway the RoundShot is really a
                    nice piece of equipment.

                    Wayne

                  • Jook Leung
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
                      Carel,

                      Here is a setup I use with my VR Drive and 10 to 15mm fisheyes. The
                      extension between the VR Drive and the camera rail is home made from
                      a lawn sprinkler head. The extension reduces the footprint of the
                      supporting tripod. I like to keep a Manfrotto 300N rotator on the
                      bottom to rotate the whole rig freely while setting up and it helps
                      with the stability of the top heavy camera. With the 300N handy, I
                      can also use the click stops quickly for when I don't want to go
                      through the setup time of the VRDrive. When I don't use/carry the
                      VRDive, I just screw the other 3 components together.

                      The VRDrive is also good for a remote trigger VR setup and for when
                      you don't have room to dance around the camera. The down side is I've
                      had trouble with cable and electronic failures and having backup
                      equipment is important.

                      http://360vr.com/misc/VRDrive_5D_N10_RRS_Kirk300.jpg

                      http://360vr.com/misc/VRDrive_400tn.jpg

                      I bought my VRDrive with the multi row bracket with is very robust
                      but bulky to pack. You can buy just the motor base, a remote release
                      cable and a couple camera release cables.

                      Someone asked why I like to use a lot of red tape...so that I can
                      assemble a rig quickly in low light conditions and without reading
                      glasses :-)

                      Best,
                      Jook

                      On Aug 23, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Carel wrote:

                      > Hi Matthias,
                      >
                      > Regarding your Roundshot, which I saw you use in a video, dancing
                      > on that
                      > razor sharp rock:
                      > Are you using it with the Seitz panohead? I thought of just using
                      > it with a
                      > locked Nodal Ninja.
                      > When you shoot multi-row, do you ever use it on an extra long
                      > tripod, like
                      > Ian Wood seems to do a lot with his robo-head? It seems that with
                      > such a
                      > setup the manual change of pitch would be a problem.
                      > And finally, do you know of a magic trick to get a discount...?
                      >
                      > Carel Struycken
                      >
                      > Matthias Taugwalder wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Jann and Wayne,
                      > >
                      > > You can adjust in the VR drive settings three different speeds: 1)
                      > > rotation
                      > > time, 2) time before the shot and 3) time after the shot. The
                      > smallest
                      > > rotation time is 4s, for the two others 0.5s. So for example with
                      > my D200
                      > > and 10.5mm lens I shoot 6 shots around. That gives about 10s for
                      > one row.
                      > >
                      > > The main reason I'm using the VR drive is that it's with 1.5kg
                      > one of the
                      > > lighter full-spherical panoramic heads. The battery integrated in
                      > the
                      > > bottom
                      > > column of the device and lasts very long. I haven't managed it to
                      > unload
                      > > it
                      > > once. And you can trust me, that I tried very hard... ;-) During
                      > the last
                      > > year I was also using it for shooting high resolution panoramas
                      > consisting
                      > > of up to 300 shots. With the current firmware version you can
                      > shoot up to
                      > > 72
                      > > shots per row. You then simply have to adjust the tilt by hand if
                      > you're
                      > > shooting multi-row.
                      > >
                      > > What the VR doesn't have is a mode with continous rotation. As I
                      > assume
                      > > you
                      > > have in mind, such as Peter Murphys rotating device. You might
                      > also want
                      > > check out this page, see
                      > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Poleposition/Poleposition.html
                      > >
                      > > Don't hesitate to contact me off-list if you have further questions.
                      > >

                      > > Best regards from Switzerland,
                      > >
                      > > Matthias
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Matthias Taugwalder
                      > > matthias.taugwalder@...

                      Jook Leung Photography
                      360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                      Web: http://360vr.com
                      E-mail: jook@...
                      Mobile: 201 679 6177

                    • thomas_krueger_panoviews
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 26, 2007
                        Jook,

                        is it possible to use a wireless radio control like the
                        http://www.zap-shot.com or a Pocket Wizard to trigger the Seitz VR Drive?

                        The Zap-Shot works on the Canon 5D via the remote cable release Adidt M1.
                      • Jook Leung
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                          Yes, I've tried it with the Zap shot remote. The wired remote for the
                          VRDrive can be simply be rewired to close an open switch with the Zap
                          shot. I also have an Adidt M1 in my bag for backup. Normally I use a
                          Microsync remote with my 5D.
                          http://www.microsyncdigital.com/index.cfm

                          Jook

                          On Aug 27, 2007, at 1:54 AM, thomas_krueger_panoviews wrote:

                          > Jook,
                          >
                          > is it possible to use a wireless radio control like the
                          > http://www.zap-shot.com or a Pocket Wizard to trigger the Seitz VR
                          > Drive?
                          >
                          > The Zap-Shot works on the Canon 5D via the remote cable release
                          > Adidt M1.

                          Jook Leung Photography
                          360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                          Web: http://360vr.com
                          E-mail: jook@...
                          Mobile: 201 679 6177

                        • Andrey Ilyin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                            Regarding inexpensive wireless remotes - I have bought http://
                            tinyurl.com/39wxaw and very pleased with performance. Around $30 with
                            shipping to Russia!

                            Andrey
                          • bigwade
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 28, 2007
                              With the 300N handy, I can also use the click stops quickly for when I
                              don't want to go
                              through the setup time of the VRDrive.

                              Hi Jook,
                              Q: isn't the last setting, lets say 360degr, 4 shots, saved in the rotator
                              memory ?
                              In other words, do you have to program the motor every time after "power
                              off"
                              Have Fun

                            • Jook Leung
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 28, 2007
                                The VRDrive does holds its settings after power off. I like the
                                manual touch when you have to wait between shots because of people
                                coming and going.

                                Best,
                                Jook