Re: [PanoToolsNG] Le Parkour

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
      Sometime around 4/8/07 (at 03:18 +0000) gerardoant said:

      >Hola todos!
      >
      >I would like to share with you a group of panos from a training of
      >"Le Parkour". They are a multi exposure with the camera in a
      >burst mode and then combined in PS (which was really pretty
      >easy with the new PS3 auto-blend layers).

      Hola! Really, really nice. This takes the multiple exposure concept
      to wonderful extremes!

      Just one point though - there's slight but still noticable chromatic
      abberation (color fringes from the outer parts of your fisheye shots)
      in parts of the end results. Bridge CS3 can help address this very
      easily in its Camera Raw mode.

      What lens did you use for this? How many shots around?

    • - AYRTON - (avi)
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
        > Sometime around 4/8/07 (at 03:18 +0000) gerardoant said:
        >
        >> Hola todos!
        >>
        >> I would like to share with you a group of panos from a training of
        >> "Le Parkour". They are a multi exposure with the camera in a
        >> burst mode and then combined in PS (which was really pretty
        >> easy with the new PS3 auto-blend layers).

        Very nice !!!
        I've done something similar with Gisele Bündchen in a runaway fashion
        show last January:

        http://ayrton.com/360/2007/01/19/um-show-de-gisele/

        It was happening very fast and I had NO control at all of what she
        would be doing or her speed out there.

        Thanks

        AYRTON

        AYRTON VR Images www.ayrton.com
        Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sala 101 www.vrfolio.com
        Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
        Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
      • gerardoant
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2007
          Thanks Dorin, Ian, Keith and Ayrton for your comments!

          Some answers:

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

          > Wow! I like this, and with your permission I'd like to post a link
          > your website in a panoramic forum where is the belive that I don't

          Not problem at all. I will be happy for that!

          > you have them in the panoramas not once but many times and good.
          > Did they say something like, wasn't fast enough suff ?

          No exactly. What means about "efficiently and quickly as possible"
          is try to reach some place in a lees time. In fact they never run fast
          but of curse jumping from the first floor to the street is faster than
          go down by the stairs!.. ;-))

          > Just one point though - there's slight but still noticable
          chromatic
          > abberation (color fringes from the outer parts of your fisheye
          shots)
          > in parts of the end results. Bridge CS3 can help address this very
          > easily in its Camera Raw mode.

          Yes you are right. I didn't make any correction for that. I usually
          leave
          my shoots as they are because the CA is not so noticeable. But in
          panos as those, plenty of trees and leaves it is more than evident.
          My fault.... I should be no so lazy person next time.....

          > What lens did you use for this? How many shots around?

          Sigma 8mm F4 with nikon D50.
          I made the usual 6 or 8 shots around but each one in a burst mode
          (around three hundred shots for all four panos). For example in
          the first pano, where the guy is jumping from the red-blue wall, it
          was
          a entirely sequence without move the camera, then selected
          some of then and combined.

          Some numbers to correct the CA for Sigma 8mm and CS3?
          Some help how do that easily? in a bach mode?

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "- AYRTON - (avi)" <avi@...>
          wrote:

          > I've done something similar with Gisele Bündchen in a runaway
          fashion
          > show last January:

          Nice! and by much a better photographic model !!... ;-)

          Saludos, Gerardo
        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
            On 8/4/2007 4:24 PM, gerardoant rambled on about ...:
            > Thanks Dorin, Ian, Keith and Ayrton for your comments!
            >
            > Some answers:
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Wow! I like this, and with your permission I'd like to post a link
            >> your website in a panoramic forum where is the belive that I don't
            >
            > Not problem at all. I will be happy for that!
            >
            >> you have them in the panoramas not once but many times and good.
            >> Did they say something like, wasn't fast enough suff ?
            >
            > No exactly. What means about "efficiently and quickly as possible"
            > is try to reach some place in a lees time. In fact they never run fast
            > but of curse jumping from the first floor to the street is faster than
            > go down by the stairs!.. ;-))

            Like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEbYtOEftc0

            Personally, I'll take the stairs...

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • zeitreisender_2033
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
              Hello, I have come across the situation where I see in one or
              sometimes in two of my cubics horizontal and vertical picture
              problems. They are kind of blurred or washed out straight from the
              buttom to the top and from the left to the right. To make you
              understand what I'm talking about I have placed one example here:
              http://charti.ch.ohost.de/kirche0.mov
              I have put in the red lines and arrows to show you where to look at. I
              used ptgui 7.02 pro for stitching, nikon D80 with nikon 10.5mm. I
              tried different interpolators, output formats but all have the
              problem. I normally do pictures in half-automated way by having fixed
              8mm for focus and let the camera do the bracketing for 3 pictures.
              First I thought it was a problem of wrong focusing but with each of
              the 3 pictures from a row I have the same problem and since 8mm has
              sharpness from very short to maximum I don't know where it comes from.

              Did somebody come across this yet? Thanks for all comments.
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zeitreisender_2033"
                <subscriber02@...> wrote:

                > I normally do pictures in half-automated way by having fixed
                > 8mm for focus and let the camera do the bracketing for 3 pictures.

                I assume and hope that you took the shots in manual exposure mode so
                that all the shots in each of the 3 bracketed sets have the same
                exposure and white balance settings. The first thing to check is
                whether the difference in tone at the marked seam is simply due to a
                difference in the source images. Do the overlapping source images
                match in the seam area in terms of brightness, contrast and hue? If
                they do match, as they should, then the effects in the .mov may be
                due to blending. Which blender did you select and have you tried an
                alternative? Is the .mov image posted the result of stitching just
                one set of the bracketed images?

                BTW, it would be nice if you set the default window size of the .mov
                file to something bigger than 400x300.

                John
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
                  On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 19:13, zeitreisender_2033 wrote:

                  > Hello, I have come across the situation where I see in one or
                  > sometimes in two of my cubics horizontal and vertical picture
                  > problems. They are kind of blurred or washed out straight from the
                  > buttom to the top and from the left to the right. To make you
                  > understand what I'm talking about I have placed one example here:
                  > http://charti.ch.ohost.de/kirche0.mov

                  Most likely this is lens flare (or better: reduced contrast) due to
                  the very bright windows. To verify that, check the output
                  equirectangular directly. It should be visible there, too.

                  You can't completely avoid that, since lens internal reflections
                  reduces contrast always with such bright highlights in view. If it's
                  only the sun the solution is to shoot images twice: one version as is
                  and one with the sun obscured (f.e. by your hand) and then mask away
                  most of the flare. And of course it helps to have your lens clean!

                  best regards

                • zeitreisender_2033
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zeitreisender_2033"
                    > <subscriber02@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I normally do pictures in half-automated way by having fixed
                    > > 8mm for focus and let the camera do the bracketing for 3 pictures.
                    >
                    > I assume and hope that you took the shots in manual exposure mode so
                    > that all the shots in each of the 3 bracketed sets have the same
                    > exposure and white balance settings. The first thing to check is
                    > whether the difference in tone at the marked seam is simply due to a
                    > difference in the source images. Do the overlapping source images
                    > match in the seam area in terms of brightness, contrast and hue? If
                    > they do match, as they should, then the effects in the .mov may be
                    > due to blending. Which blender did you select and have you tried an
                    > alternative? Is the .mov image posted the result of stitching just
                    > one set of the bracketed images?
                    >
                    > BTW, it would be nice if you set the default window size of the .mov
                    > file to something bigger than 400x300.
                    >
                    > John

                    At the moment I do not use the manual mode, since I do not yet
                    understand how to use this it in the right way. If I do manual
                    control, I can set the exposure for all pictures equally but I loose
                    control over the focus. Once I use a fixed setting like 1/30 or 1/150
                    I'm forced to use less than F8 for the pic to get an acceptable result
                    and this is what I want to avoid, since I want to have sharpness from
                    near to far. So I use half-automated shooting with always having F8 or
                    F11 for the pictures and have the ISO adjusted for the exposure (uses
                    100/200/400). The .mov is no HDR, it is just from a set of one
                    exposure series. For blending I use the Ptgui-defaults (so
                    ptgui-blender) and while I write this I figured out that the original
                    source picture do not show this effect. So I think I will try out a
                    different blender, not sure what I need to install to select a
                    different one but this might be worth to verify.
                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 15, 2007
                      <subscriber02@...> wrote:

                      > I figured out that the original
                      > source picture do not show this effect. So I think I will try out a
                      > different blender, not sure what I need to install to select a
                      > different one but this might be worth to verify.

                      That's good. If the source images look the same at the joins, then it
                      can only be a blending problem and not flare from the bright windows.
                      You can download Smartblend from http://smartblend.panotools.info/ .
                      To install, just unzip to a folder of your choice and inform PTGui of
                      its whereabouts via Tools->Options->Plugins.

                      There's a tutorial giving guidance on command line parameters, but for
                      starters, you can try: -w -MinSize 32

                      John