[PanoToolsNG] Plate vs. Food -or- Convert between PTViewer Java Tours and Flash/QT Tours

  • Shawn Steigner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hello all,
      A bit of a rant-with a specific question at the end-

      Ok, I know I'm risking the wrath of the super-computer literate with this
      disclaimer but...
      I am not a developer, designer or mathematician.
      I have heavily relied on the excellent work of this community to allow me to
      do what I do best(and not perfected by any means yet), shoot images.

      I also rely heavily on analogy so bear with me-

      I've basically given up on trying to build/test/polish the plate(browser) my
      food(panos) is served on.
      Much less trying to figure out which restaurant(platform - Mac, PC, Linux,
      etc...) it will be eaten in.
      I'm trying to get my shooting/processing skills more and more accurate and
      refined.
      As Mr Vascon so eloquently stated a couple of weeks back,
      "WANT TO GO OUT AND TAKE PICTURE not to loose my eyes and mind in these
      time-consuming machines"
      BTW-Thanks to his excellent work, I've been working with both the Agnos
      MRotatorC and the Ring for the 10.5 which are fantastic products. And will
      soon be trying his tilted-monopod approach for some CommandoPanos :)

      The point of this rant-I've got a project produced two years ago in PTViewer
      and now I've got to convert it to Flash/QT. Everything was hand-coded using
      NotePad and PhotoShop's measure tool to determine position, colors,
      etc...(yes, I painfully went through a 2-month process of coding, testing
      and re-coding the PTViewer commands-although rewarding, not economically
      sustainable-and frustrating that it doesn't work on all computers with the
      Sun vs. MS battle)
      And I've never done a thing in Flash except been on the viewing end of
      things(which are fantastic like Aldo Holden's SPI-V viewer, the Syndey Opera
      House and others).

      Anyway, here is the current version of this tour:
      http://www.photosurveyor.com/tours/NREL/default.htm

      Now, the big question, is there a tool (that won't require a Master's degree
      in software/computers) that can convert the code behind the scenes to run as
      a Flash movie with the same functionality?
      If not, who will build one and where do I send my $$.

      Shawn Steigner-speaking as his unleashed inner-14-year old