My latest impulse pano buy off ebay

  • hmmsomethingelse
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130138818222

      Missed the one earlier in the day that went for 6p. Ah well. Yes he's
      a bit of a keyword spammer, but there we go.

      Doesn't look as sturdy an arrangement as the bophoto ones which grip
      in the middle of the lens rather than the tip but we will see. I've
      bought stupider things. Long as the lens does not break off.

      I will report back when it arrives.
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
        Interesting but only for the Sigma 8mm 3.5 or 4
        http://80gram.googlepages.com/

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • hmmsomethingelse
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
          Jim Watters <jwatters@...> wrote:
          > Interesting but only for the Sigma 8mm 3.5 or 4
          > http://80gram.googlepages.com/

          Doh, well spotted. Could have saved myself 3 quid. Ah well.
          Fortunately a sigma 8mm f4 is what I have :) Heres hoping its the
          panosaurus of lens grips and not another gadget that wears out in a
          few goes.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
            The principle is well known, and the most inexpensive solution of
            this kind is probably Tom Striewischs selfmade 5$ head.

            http://www.langebilder.de/rohrschelle.htm

            All in all this 80gram thing seems to be a good panohead. Still,
            after a look at my Sigma I feel a bit unsecure with the mounting at
            the foremost part of the lens instead of at the rigid lens base. I
            tried to hold my combo (Sigma8/20D) at this part and it feels like a
            very heavy load.

            So go on you experimental guys! Give it a try and tell us about it ;-
            )

            Yours,
            Michael

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "hmmsomethingelse"
            <hmmsomethingelse@...> wrote:

            > Jim Watters <jwatters@> wrote:
            > > Interesting but only for the Sigma 8mm 3.5 or 4
            > > http://80gram.googlepages.com/
            >
            > Doh, well spotted. Could have saved myself 3 quid. Ah well.
            > Fortunately a sigma 8mm f4 is what I have :) Heres hoping its the
            > panosaurus of lens grips and not another gadget that wears out in a
            > few goes.

          • Flo
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
              Hi,

              I have build a similare type from plywood. But it is not very safe to
              clamb the simga just behind the front-lens. Thats the reason I HAGE TO
              THE aluminium heds I´ve build later...

              have a look at

              http://www.foto.bertzbach.de/bremen_pano/Panorama_deutsch/Technik.html

              Florian
            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                Hi all,
                > Doesn't look as sturdy an arrangement as the bophoto ones which grip
                > in the middle of the lens rather than the tip but we will see. I've
                > bought stupider things. Long as the lens does not break off.

                There is NO WAY i would put this collar on the front element of the sigma.
                It's a moving element!
                It would never ever hold up to the way i shoot with a monopod.
                The weight of the cam jerking on that front element will damage the lens.
                The only save place to place it is the the center barrel.
                This 9mm wide region should be involved with any clamping solution...or
                else you might be sorry.

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko Amorth
                360° Immersive Imaging

                PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                Skype me @ vrdundee
                Member of IVRPA.org
              • hmmsomethingelse
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                  > There is NO WAY i would put this collar on the front element of the
                  sigma.
                  > It's a moving element!
                  > Cheers, Milko

                  Interesting comment. I agree it seem precarious holding the lens from
                  the end. Is it a moving element though? I've peered at mind and the
                  front edge looks pretty solid and doesn't seem to move at all no
                  matter what I do. Being a fixed focal length lens it doesn't move back
                  and forth. So I assumed there was just a focus ring wrapped around the
                  tube and an aperture ring and all the moving bits were inside the tube
                  which would be largely solid immovable? Am I very wrong?
                • Milko Amorth
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Hi hmmsomethingelse (whats your real name, please?)

                    > Am I very wrong?

                    Yes , I am affraid. It's the focal front element to set focus. Has nothing
                    to do with fixed focal lenght. It moves out when focus on 0.2 and in when
                    focus for infinity. Some lenses do it internally.

                    If you fix the element at hyperfocal for a long time without moving the
                    element
                    is builds up grime inside and you can feel the dirt built-up at the
                    hyperfocal setting when turning the ring from min to max.
                    Some sigmas have large tolerances in play though...mine happens to be one
                    of the looser ones (banged and dropped occationally, luckily with the hood
                    on!) and some are real snug...like yours. Don't worry though...it will
                    loosen up more with this ring...trust me ;-)

                    Cheers, Milko

                    --
                    Milko Amorth
                    360° Immersive Imaging
                    Photographic Virtual Reality
                    VRCanada.ca
                    604.561.5101

                    PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                    Skype me @ vrdundee
                    Member of IVRPA.org
                  • Freddy Stapersma
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2007
                      it is a expensive if you ask me.
                      it is made from a raindrain pipe holder we use in the nethelands... I think they cost around 1.5 euro....
                      I would never use this for my camera.. I would not trust it.
                      He also tried to sell them on flickr.com. but after I said what it was he deleted the messege immidiatly.

                      this is the same principle with a rotator.. only made from strong material by me before I got my nodal ninja
                      http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/462516888_c40e88f372_b.jpg

                      regards.
                      discocandy

                    • bigwade
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2007
                        Why all these fuss about lensrings ?
                        This one is very tricky.
                        A Bo Bracket is much safer.
                        But lensrings after all...
                        If you buy another lens you have to buy/make another bracket.
                        I did buy a Bo bracket and returned to another solution.
                        I have a NN3 also.
                        If you remove the rotator there is a perfect 3/8 hole in the lower rail.
                        With an adapter 3/4-3/8 it fits any monopod or better a very light
                        tripod like the Feisol CT-3441.
                        The weight is about 1Kilo and with a Feisol rotator and the stripped NN3 you
                        have a very compact travelset.( for all lensens and camera's, and much
                        safer)

                        The Feisol goes from 0,6-2.00m with bracket, and much more stable than a
                        monopod.
                        If you are going to the panotools meeting in Luzern ask my friend "The Man
                        With The Hat", he has this tripod for travelling too.
                        Have Fun
                      • qsecofr88888
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                          has anyone in this thread bought this sigma pano head from this seller
                          in ebay? i bought it from him yesterday... no email confirmation or
                          any notifications. i email the seller to his gmail address. no
                          response either. is he the member of the group?

                          tks
                          fatchai.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...>
                            > has anyone in this thread bought this sigma pano head from this seller
                            > in ebay? i bought it from him yesterday... no email confirmation or
                            > any notifications. i email the seller to his gmail address. no
                            > response either. is he the member of the group?
                            > tks fatchai.

                            Yes I bought one about ten days ago, have not heard a word. I see the
                            person who bought one for 6p the day before me has left good feedback
                            yesterday so hopefully it will appear in the next day or so. Haven't
                            heard a word from him though other than the automated paypal receipt.
                            Will send him a message.

                            The comments on the group make me somewhat regret ordering it to be
                            honest. But perhaps if used with fixed focus gently it will be ok.
                            You'd think the maker would have used it enough to find out if it
                            destroyed his lens but then again you never know do you?
                          • hmmsomethingelse
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                              > I see the person who bought one for 6p the day before me has left
                              good > feedback yesterday so hopefully it will appear in the next day
                              or so.

                              Now I look at it actually the 6p bidder is also from Holland making me
                              wonder if it is a friend being supportive. Or its possible its just
                              someone searching for items located in Holland. At any rate it means
                              he should have received it the quickest, though post from Holland to
                              the UK shouldn't really take that much longer. To Hong Kong I don't know.
                            • Keith Martin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                Sometime around 14/8/07 (at 19:03 +0000) hmmsomethingelse said:

                                >You'd think the maker would have used it enough to find out if it
                                >destroyed his lens but then again you never know do you?

                                But if they just make 'em to sell 'em...

                              • Keith Martin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                  Sometime around 14/8/07 (at 19:17 +0000) hmmsomethingelse said:

                                  >Now I look at it actually the 6p bidder is also from Holland making me
                                  >wonder if it is a friend being supportive.

                                  Possible shill bidder alert...
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

                                • hmmsomethingelse
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                    > >You'd think the maker would have used it enough to find out if it
                                    > >destroyed his lens but then again you never know do you?

                                    > But if they just make 'em to sell 'em...

                                    Well they do say
                                    "We have used panoheads as shown for a long time now, it does the job
                                    perfectly! It can hold the heaviest of cameras without a problem. And
                                    weighing just 80 gram, less than 3 ounces, you will always have it
                                    with you!"

                                    But then you may be right and they are just selling.
                                  • qsecofr88888
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 14, 2007
                                      <hmmsomethingelse@...> wrote:

                                      > > >You'd think the maker would have used it enough to find out if it
                                      > > >destroyed his lens but then again you never know do you?
                                      >
                                      > > But if they just make 'em to sell 'em...
                                      >
                                      > Well they do say
                                      > "We have used panoheads as shown for a long time now, it does the job
                                      > perfectly! It can hold the heaviest of cameras without a problem. And
                                      > weighing just 80 gram, less than 3 ounces, you will always have it
                                      > with you!"
                                      >
                                      > But then you may be right and they are just selling.

                                      i wonder why their customer service is so bad. i search ebay this
                                      morning and don't see any more items selling by the seller now.
                                    • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 15, 2007
                                        One thing that make's me a bit suspicious is that it is been
                                        advertised as Nodal Ninja, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that
                                        Nodal Ninja actually makes this product. Are they taking Nodal Ninja
                                        name in vain?

                                        kind regards,

                                        Rodrigo
                                      • djfreddystapersma
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 15, 2007
                                          Like I said before..
                                          Do not trust this..
                                          It is made from an inexpesive rainpipe holder.. for sale for around 2
                                          euro!!
                                          I would not trust this to hold my camera and lens!!
                                          I've made one myself and the first one broke off in the middle of the
                                          night.
                                          lucky the camera and lens survived...

                                          Regards. Freddy

                                          <hmmsomethingelse@...> wrote:

                                          > > I see the person who bought one for 6p the day before me has left
                                          > good > feedback yesterday so hopefully it will appear in the next day
                                          > or so.
                                          >
                                          > Now I look at it actually the 6p bidder is also from Holland making me
                                          > wonder if it is a friend being supportive. Or its possible its just
                                          > someone searching for items located in Holland. At any rate it means
                                          > he should have received it the quickest, though post from Holland to
                                          > the UK shouldn't really take that much longer. To Hong Kong I don't
                                          know.

                                        • hmmsomethingelse
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 3 1:16 AM
                                            Right well no word at all from seller after a month. His/her ebay
                                            details are false so no other way to contact them.

                                            However I escalated a paypal claim and after he did not respond to the
                                            complaint for ten days paypal said he still had the money in his
                                            account and refunded my payment. Which was nice. What would have
                                            happened if his account was empty I don't know. Still if you paid by
                                            paypal have a go quick. Its strange as normally I thought crooks take
                                            the money and empty their account to prevent refunds. Makes me wonder
                                            if he just ran away or something, its still a weird way to defraud people.

                                            Anyway the paypal complaint is worth trying.

                                            But my sincerest appologies to anyone who bought one of these due to
                                            my pointing it out. Sorry.
                                          • qsecofr88888
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 3 3:21 AM
                                              i just fired a calim report to paypal this afternoon.
                                              hopefully i can get back the money as other members here.
                                              really not sure what happened to the seller but was thinking that the
                                              seller really wanted to cheat $$ in the first place... he probably
                                              would set the price higher.

                                              cheers
                                              fatchai.