Re: Letter to Bixorama (re: stop telling people to steal our work)

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      Would it surprise you if next they made a page with links to 'good
      sources of raw material' for their customers?

      I hope they respond in a positive way, but that program was made for a
      purpose. If you need that program you obviously don't have access to
      the source images. Then you most likely do not own (the rights to)
      those images either. Stinky business.

      Luckily there are also GOOD programmers in the Netherlands!

      Regards,

      erik leeman
    • Andrei Zdetovetchi
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        Guys,

        You should know that Bixorama's software is not the only way to "dismantle" an mov file, there are other ways and programs that allows this. With a little imagination and determination this can be done. I won't say how, because I don't intent to encourage this. But for an user that has a basic knowledge on how browser's cache and QT cache works, what is said on Bixorama page is already old news.

        I hope that Jeffrey's letter will have the expected results, but in the long term I think we should find other ways to protect our panoramas from stealing.

        Best regards,
        Andrei Zdetovetchi

        the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
        flick photostream - http://www.flick.com/photos/zdeto

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey S. Martin"
          <panoramas@...> wrote:

          > Here is what I sent to the Bixorama people. I hope that someone else
          agrees
          > :-O
          > They're basically giving instructions on how to scrape the web's
          QTVR's and
          > re-author them.
          > Punks.

          You seem to forget that there is a right for the consumer (at least in
          the US) called fair use (British and Canadian law have a similar one
          called fair dealing, although not identical).

          Your rights are not necessarily violated by the fact that somebody
          downloads your image and breaks it apart (or even remaps it).

          Given that you already give an implicit right to the consumer to
          download the image (by putting in the web available for download)
          their instructions might not be considered contributory infringement
          (the copy is already in the user's machine, all they tell you is where
          it is).

          so if you object to giving away a "secret" perhaps a more friendly
          approach will go a longer way that a confrontational.

          security via obscurity is never the best solution.

          dmg
        • Chris Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            I'm glad Jeffrey made his protest.

            Thank you Jeff!

            Lets not forget. Allowing downloading for viewing .. In no way grants
            permission to use it in any other fashion.

            The fact that they responded appropriately, and so quickly is an indicator
            of their knowledge of

            Copyright legislation and the "precarious" position they'd put themselves
            in.

            "Fair use" does not allow people to "re-author" or, in anyway change the
            copyrighted image.

            "Fair Use" is extremely limited.

            An example would be if it was used with satire. as in comedy.

            Even distribution in schools for education or news.. The Creator's copyright
            is still guaranteed.

            I believe a "hardline" is the most effective tool to use on infringers.

            That doesn't mean one must be impolite or abusive.. But firmness with lots
            of "legalize" seems to

            Get their attention best!

            Cheers

            Chris Thomas

            Photographer

            cell... 403-615-1212

            In North America

            call... 1-800-870-5110

            > Here is what I sent to the Bixorama people. I hope that someone else
            agrees
            > :-O
            > They're basically giving instructions on how to scrape the web's
            QTVR's and
            > re-author them.
            > Punks.

            You seem to forget that there is a right for the consumer (at least in
            the US) called fair use (British and Canadian law have a similar one
            called fair dealing, although not identical).

            Your rights are not necessarily violated by the fact that somebody
            downloads your image and breaks it apart (or even remaps it).

            Given that you already give an implicit right to the consumer to
            download the image (by putting in the web available for download)
            their instructions might not be considered contributory infringement
            (the copy is already in the user's machine, all they tell you is where
            it is).

            so if you object to giving away a "secret" perhaps a more friendly
            approach will go a longer way that a confrontational.

            security via obscurity is never the best solution.

            dmg

            snip