Letter to Bixorama (re: stop telling people to steal our work)

  • Jeffrey S. Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      Here is what I sent to the Bixorama people. I hope that someone else agrees
      :-O
      They're basically giving instructions on how to scrape the web's QTVR's and
      re-author them.
      Punks.

      Hi,

      As a member of the fairly close-knit VR community, I find your home page
      AWFUL.
      http://www.outerspace-software.com/bixorama.html

      You are promoting as the number one thing on your website an action which,
      if it is not illegal behavior, will surely result in illegal behavior.

      It is my priority as a member of the VR community (we are the people who you
      are teaching the world to steal images from) to point out that this strategy
      appears to be the quickest route to failure.

      After all, who will your customers be, if not the creators of VR content?

      Why do you need to tell us how to steal QTVR's from a web cache? Do you also
      want to give instructions on how to decompile a SWF file to show the cube
      faces? If someone wants to crack open a panorama and make something with
      it, shouldn't they ask the author? (Can we crack open *your* program, and
      change it into something we find more interesting? probably not....)

      I sincerely hope that you will reconsider this very poor judgement. If you
      do, I'm certain that instead of drawing the ire and wrath VR photographers,
      you will instead have their excited support. Wouldn't that be a better
      result?

      Jeffrey Martin

    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        Would it surprise you if next they made a page with links to 'good
        sources of raw material' for their customers?

        I hope they respond in a positive way, but that program was made for a
        purpose. If you need that program you obviously don't have access to
        the source images. Then you most likely do not own (the rights to)
        those images either. Stinky business.

        Luckily there are also GOOD programmers in the Netherlands!

        Regards,

        erik leeman
      • Andrei Zdetovetchi
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
          Guys,

          You should know that Bixorama's software is not the only way to "dismantle" an mov file, there are other ways and programs that allows this. With a little imagination and determination this can be done. I won't say how, because I don't intent to encourage this. But for an user that has a basic knowledge on how browser's cache and QT cache works, what is said on Bixorama page is already old news.

          I hope that Jeffrey's letter will have the expected results, but in the long term I think we should find other ways to protect our panoramas from stealing.

          Best regards,
          Andrei Zdetovetchi

          the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
          flick photostream - http://www.flick.com/photos/zdeto

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey S. Martin"
            <panoramas@...> wrote:

            > Here is what I sent to the Bixorama people. I hope that someone else
            agrees
            > :-O
            > They're basically giving instructions on how to scrape the web's
            QTVR's and
            > re-author them.
            > Punks.

            You seem to forget that there is a right for the consumer (at least in
            the US) called fair use (British and Canadian law have a similar one
            called fair dealing, although not identical).

            Your rights are not necessarily violated by the fact that somebody
            downloads your image and breaks it apart (or even remaps it).

            Given that you already give an implicit right to the consumer to
            download the image (by putting in the web available for download)
            their instructions might not be considered contributory infringement
            (the copy is already in the user's machine, all they tell you is where
            it is).

            so if you object to giving away a "secret" perhaps a more friendly
            approach will go a longer way that a confrontational.

            security via obscurity is never the best solution.

            dmg
          • Chris Thomas
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
              I'm glad Jeffrey made his protest.

              Thank you Jeff!

              Lets not forget. Allowing downloading for viewing .. In no way grants
              permission to use it in any other fashion.

              The fact that they responded appropriately, and so quickly is an indicator
              of their knowledge of

              Copyright legislation and the "precarious" position they'd put themselves
              in.

              "Fair use" does not allow people to "re-author" or, in anyway change the
              copyrighted image.

              "Fair Use" is extremely limited.

              An example would be if it was used with satire. as in comedy.

              Even distribution in schools for education or news.. The Creator's copyright
              is still guaranteed.

              I believe a "hardline" is the most effective tool to use on infringers.

              That doesn't mean one must be impolite or abusive.. But firmness with lots
              of "legalize" seems to

              Get their attention best!

              Cheers

              Chris Thomas

              Photographer

              cell... 403-615-1212

              In North America

              call... 1-800-870-5110

              > Here is what I sent to the Bixorama people. I hope that someone else
              agrees
              > :-O
              > They're basically giving instructions on how to scrape the web's
              QTVR's and
              > re-author them.
              > Punks.

              You seem to forget that there is a right for the consumer (at least in
              the US) called fair use (British and Canadian law have a similar one
              called fair dealing, although not identical).

              Your rights are not necessarily violated by the fact that somebody
              downloads your image and breaks it apart (or even remaps it).

              Given that you already give an implicit right to the consumer to
              download the image (by putting in the web available for download)
              their instructions might not be considered contributory infringement
              (the copy is already in the user's machine, all they tell you is where
              it is).

              so if you object to giving away a "secret" perhaps a more friendly
              approach will go a longer way that a confrontational.

              security via obscurity is never the best solution.

              dmg

              snip