Jok´s pano from above

  • Rodolpho Pajuaba
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1 10:17 AM
      Hello all,
      I sincerely tried to find on the archives, but, as I didn´t remember the
      thread, it was fruitless... If any of you remember, please send me the
      link for a pano by Jook Leung shot from above - and if I remember well,
      there was even a photo of him doing this very same pano. I searched on
      his site too, but couldn´t find either - perhaps was some hidden page,
      for direct link only.
      Thanks a lot in advance,
      Rodolpho Pajuaba
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1 11:30 AM
        Sometime around 1/8/07 (at 14:17 -0300) Rodolpho Pajuaba said:

        >If any of you remember, please send me the
        >link for a pano by Jook Leung shot from above - and if I remember well,
        >there was even a photo of him doing this very same pano.

        I remember reading about this on the QTVR mailing list. The links
        don't work any more I'm afraid, but here's the first post, written by
        Jook:

        He then wrote a follow-up answer:

        >I think the pano reveals all. I took 4 shots, hand rotated a monopod
        >supported by a tripod. Canon 5D with a naked Nikkor 10.5 covered all
        >the people in the down shot.
        >
        >The FOV of this lens is around 190 degrees but if you let PTGui
        >force optimize the FOV of the lens to around 200 degrees, it
        >squeezes the foot-print of the pano rig (BoPod) smaller.
        >
        >Of note, I used a MicroSync wireless remote to trigger the camera.
        >
        >regards,
        >Jook

      • Rodolpho Pajuaba
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1 2:33 PM
          Thanks a lot, Keith, that helped me yet. And my apologies to Jook, by
          the misspelling of his name on the subject.
          Regards,
          Rodolpho Pajuaba

          Keith Martin escreveu:
          > Sometime around 1/8/07 (at 14:17 -0300) Rodolpho Pajuaba said:
          >

          >> If any of you remember, please send me the
          >> link for a pano by Jook Leung shot from above - and if I remember well,
          >> there was even a photo of him doing this very same pano.
          >>

          > I remember reading about this on the QTVR mailing list. The links
          > don't work any more I'm afraid, but here's the first post, written by
          > Jook:

        • Rodolpho Pajuaba
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1 6:59 PM
            Thank you, Jook, those are the ones I was looking for.
            Regards,
            Rodolpho Pajuaba

            Jook Leung wrote:
            > Hello Rodolpho and Keith,
            >
            > I changed servers and now the urls are case sensitive (capital K in Kelly).
            > Here are the working links:
            >
            > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/
            > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg
            >
            > Best,
            > Jook

          • Jaume Llorens
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 24 1:49 AM
              Just a question from a novice:
              I have a D70s+10.5mm + Nodal Ninja.
              Is it possible to shot like Jook does using any monopod whith my
              equipment.. ?
              http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg
              <http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg>
              Or I need a especial monopod with a ring? Do I need any other complement.. ?
              I'd like to shot pole panos. Agnos solutions seems very interesting, but
              by now I have not budget enought.
              So I thought that may be a monopod could be a good choice to me.
              Thanks in advance.

              Jaume
              http://360.jllorens.net/

              En/na Rodolpho Pajuaba ha escrit:

            • panokaemena@mac.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 24 2:01 AM
                everything is possible as long as you are able to spin the
                monopod.... in combination of D70/10.5 I guess you need at least 5
                pict around and the nadir / zenith hole is considerable ( I dont have
                that combination) I shoot with an 8mm lense on a monopod which
                requires only 4 shots and has a tiny hole on nadir and zenith
                here an example just made today:
                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Syria/SynchrPEEGT

                Willy

                On Aug 24, 2007, at 11:49, Jaume Llorens wrote:

                > Just a question from a novice:
                > I have a D70s+10.5mm + Nodal Ninja.
                > Is it possible to shot like Jook does using any monopod whith my
                > equipment.. ?
                > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg
                > <http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg>
                > Or I need a especial monopod with a ring? Do I need any other
                > complement.. ?
                > I'd like to shot pole panos. Agnos solutions seems very
                > interesting, but
                > by now I have not budget enought.
                > So I thought that may be a monopod could be a good choice to me.
                > Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Jaume
                > http://360.jllorens.net/
                >
                > En/na Rodolpho Pajuaba ha escrit:
                > >
                > > Thank you, Jook, those are the ones I was looking for.
                > > Regards,
                > > Rodolpho Pajuaba
                > >
                > > Jook Leung wrote:
                > > > Hello Rodolpho and Keith,
                > > >
                > > > I changed servers and now the urls are case sensitive (capital
                > K in
                > > Kelly).
                > > > Here are the working links:
                > > >
                > > > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/ <http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/>
                > > > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg
                > > <http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg>
                > > >
                > > > Best,
                > > > Jook

              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 24 2:03 AM
                  On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:49:24 +0900, Jaume Llorens
                  <jaumellorens@...> wrote:

                  > Just a question from a novice:
                  > I have a D70s+10.5mm + Nodal Ninja.
                  > Is it possible to shot like Jook does using any monopod whith my
                  > equipment.. ?
                  > http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg
                  > <http://360vr.com/NYPD_Kelly/IMG_7938Jook_boom_pano800tn.jpg>
                  > Or I need a especial monopod with a ring? Do I need any other
                  > complement.. ?
                  > I'd like to shot pole panos. Agnos solutions seems very interesting, but
                  > by now I have not budget enought.
                  > So I thought that may be a monopod could be a good choice to me.
                  > Thanks in advance.

                  This is an interesting question for me, as I used to shoot film with
                  an 8mm Peleng fisheye lens on a full-frame 35mm SLR, and now have gone
                  over to shooting with the Nikon 10.5mm rectangular fisheye lens on a
                  camera with the same size sensor as your D70. (I also use a Nodal
                  Ninja). In the first case I used a monopod exclusively. Now I very
                  seldom use one. And I miss the ease/convenience/speed...

                  There is no reason why you shouldn't try to use a monopod, but the
                  thing that keeps me from doing it is that whereas all I had to do
                  with the monopod with my original equipment was point the camera in
                  four directions at right angles to each other (pretty easy, specially
                  if you line up a few landmarks in the appropriate directions), with
                  the smaller angular coverage of the 10.5mm lens, I need to judge
                  six more-or-less equally spaced angles around the circle, and that
                  is difficult enough to prevent me from making this my preferred mode
                  of panorama taking.

                  I have discussed (off list) some ideas I have for a quick-rotate
                  base for the monopod, but I am quite unable to use tools or craft
                  anything that needs machining, so it remains an idea. If I could
                  find someone to make my device it would make the use of monopods
                  MUCH easier, and probably get me back into using one.

                  Roger Williams

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 24 2:33 AM
                    Yes, hole will be great.. I'll need to change the orientation of the
                    camera to the vertical.. But with a pole I supose I will have the same
                    problem...
                    So.. make a pole pano whith a 10.5mm may not be the best choice..? It
                    would be better with a 8mm, like you does..
                    Does anybody use a 10.5mm to shot pole panos.. ? At some step, you will
                    have to downolad the camera from the pole to turn it to the vertical.
                    Isn't it.. ?

                    Jaume

                    En/na panokaemena@... ha escrit:

                    > I guess you need at least 5
                    > pict around and the nadir / zenith hole is considerable ( I dont have
                    > that combination) I shoot with an 8mm lense on a monopod which
                    > requires only 4 shots and has a tiny hole on nadir and zenith
                    > here an example just made today:
                    > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Syria/SynchrPEEGT
                    > <http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Syria/SynchrPEEGT>
                    >
                    > Willy

                  • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 24 6:05 AM
                      Roger,
                      When I need to shoot 6 around I take a little gadget I made myself: an
                      hexagon I drawed on PS easilly, printed on a cheap paper and glued to
                      cardboard. I made a hole in the middle to put the monopod in, and I use
                      it as a guide. Just set up the camera and monopod, throw the thing on
                      the ground, place the pod in the hole, and shoot when you don´t see the
                      opposite line. The hole prevents the gadget to rotate with the monopod.
                      I hope this had helped, if needed I can make a small picture of it.
                      Regards,
                      Rodolpho Pajuaba

                      Roger D. Williams escreveu:

                      > I have discussed (off list) some ideas I have for a quick-rotate
                      > base for the monopod, but I am quite unable to use tools or craft
                      > anything that needs machining, so it remains an idea. If I could
                      > find someone to make my device it would make the use of monopods
                      > MUCH easier, and probably get me back into using one.
                      >
                      > Roger Williams

                    • bisacchi2
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 24 8:42 AM
                        Please Rodolpho, send us some pictures of your "system". It would be
                        great to learn a little more.

                        Until now, I've only been shooting regular panoramas and now I want to
                        take a step ahead... You would be helping me a lot!!

                        Thanks
                        Renato
                      • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 24 8:59 AM
                          Hola Jaime,

                          During my holidays I was a little bit bore so I decided to
                          experiment with my Manfroto monopod and the 350D with the Tokina 10-
                          17 mounted on the NN3 @10mm.
                          So very carefully I entended the monopod over the rail of the Hotel
                          balcony on the 5th floor, the first shot it was easy as it was
                          looking down but as I tried to turn the monopod the Nodal Ninja kept
                          rotating to look down. So I decided to mount the NN on the monopod
                          just using the vertical and the horizontal arms and took 8 shots in
                          the protrait mode, when it came to the zenith I retrieve the monopod
                          and changed the camera view to point away from the balcony which in
                          efect will be the Zenith, took the shot the retrieve the monopod
                          again and change the camera to point toward the balcony to take the
                          Nadir shot.
                          Unfortunatly I did not realised that the F/L of the camera had
                          shifted from 10mm to 11mm rendering the Nadir shot useless to stitch
                          in the pano. But the rest of the pano came out really good so now I
                          have an over the balcony hanging in the air pano but with a black
                          hole. This experiment prompted Dave Albright to write his How to
                          shoot hanging panos.
                          The lesson from this is that you required a fixed pano head to take
                          the photos and make sure you have some anchor point where to hold
                          the monopod to. To calculate the degree turn I just marked the shaft
                          of the monopod with a pencil, first divided into 4 then subdivided
                          into 8.
                          Appart from the black hole I am pretty please with my first try, I
                          am sure it won't be the last, to an over the edge pano.

                          Obviuosly with an 8mm lens there is no such problem 4 or 6 shots
                          will do it. No Nadir or Zenith shot required just a small couple of
                          holes to fill in.

                          If anybody know how to fix the focal lenght error, I would really
                          appreciate the help, if not then I'll just put it down to
                          experience, and look for the next balcony.

                          kind regards,

                          Rodrigo
                        • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 24 9:51 AM
                            I don´t have my recently purchased Tokina 107 at hands yet, but as I
                            recall the tutorial from Michel Thoby he took 4 shots with completely
                            different focal lenghts and achieved a good stitch regardless
                            <http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Tokina_10_17/Intricate_Panography.html>.
                            Did you actually try to use your out-of-focal-length shot, or just gave
                            up after discovering the mistake?
                            Regards,
                            Rodolpho Pajuaba

                            Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock escreveu:

                            > If anybody know how to fix the focal lenght error, I would really
                            > appreciate the help, if not then I'll just put it down to
                            > experience, and look for the next balcony.
                            >
                            > kind regards,
                            >
                            > Rodrigo

                          • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 24 12:26 PM
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...>
                              wrote:

                              <http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Tokina_10_17/Intricate_Panography.html>.
                              > Did you actually try to use your out-of-focal-length shot, or just
                              gave
                              > up after discovering the mistake?
                              > Regards,
                              > Rodolpho Pajuaba

                              Hola Rodolfo,

                              I tried using it in diferent way, using CS3, remaping it with PTGUI
                              on its own, paintakinly cutting and pasting bit by bit, the mayor
                              problem is the hand rail which is larger in the nadir shot than in
                              the rest of the panorama. Michel has very kindly sent me off list
                              some instruction which I will try over the weekend.

                              Also I'll upload the pano to my web site for you to take a look at it
                              to see that it can be done with the Tokina.

                              kind regrds,

                              Rodrigo
                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 24 1:22 PM
                                Jaume Llorens wrote:
                                > Does anybody use a 10.5mm to shot pole panos.. ? At some step, you will
                                > have to downolad the camera from the pole to turn it to the vertical.
                                > Isn't it.. ?

                                I shoot with the D70s and 10.5mm on a pole.
                                My current custom pan head rotates the camera about 30 deg and tilts it
                                down about 7 deg.
                                I shoot 6 around + 2U + 1D
                                The bottom corner of each image captures part of the bottom of the pole.
                                This make for a larger zenith to fill in and requires two shots. Often
                                I can get away with this at ground level.
                                I almost always shot a nadir off axis to remove me and my shadow.

                                Here are some examples using this setup.
                                http://photocreations.ca/saundersfarm/sf05.html#PAN
                                http://photocreations.ca/tulip/tulip14.html#PAN

                                For my pole and pan head see: My Pole PandHead 2
                                http://photocreations.ca/equipment/index.html

                                I am currently working on a motorized pan head. This one will not be
                                tilted and rotated. The diagonal FoV of the 10.5mm on the D70s should
                                give 180 deg. With the manual rotation of the pole I get too much
                                parallax error and require to shoot the Zenith and Nadir anyway to fill
                                in a gap. Instead of complicating the pan head I will just shoot vertical.

                                --
                                Jim Watters

                                jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                http://photocreations.ca
                              • Jaume Llorens
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 26 11:49 PM
                                  Thanks all for your answers!
                                  Rodrigo, do you know where could I find the article of Dave Albright you
                                  mention... ?
                                  Jaume

                                  En/na Jim Watters ha escrit:

                                  > Jaume Llorens wrote:
                                  > > Does anybody use a 10.5mm to shot pole panos.. ? At some step, you will
                                  > > have to downolad the camera from the pole to turn it to the vertical.
                                  > > Isn't it.. ?
                                  > >
                                  > I shoot with the D70s and 10.5mm on a pole.
                                  > My current custom pan head rotates the camera about 30 deg and tilts it
                                  > down about 7 deg.
                                  > I shoot 6 around + 2U + 1D
                                  > The bottom corner of each image captures part of the bottom of the pole.
                                  > This make for a larger zenith to fill in and requires two shots. Often
                                  > I can get away with this at ground level.
                                  > I almost always shot a nadir off axis to remove me and my shadow.
                                  >
                                  > Here are some examples using this setup.
                                  > http://photocreations.ca/saundersfarm/sf05.html#PAN
                                  > <http://photocreations.ca/saundersfarm/sf05.html#PAN>
                                  > http://photocreations.ca/tulip/tulip14.html#PAN
                                  > <http://photocreations.ca/tulip/tulip14.html#PAN>
                                  >
                                  > For my pole and pan head see: My Pole PandHead 2
                                  > http://photocreations.ca/equipment/index.html
                                  > <http://photocreations.ca/equipment/index.html>
                                  >
                                  > I am currently working on a motorized pan head. This one will not be
                                  > tilted and rotated. The diagonal FoV of the 10.5mm on the D70s should
                                  > give 180 deg. With the manual rotation of the pole I get too much
                                  > parallax error and require to shoot the Zenith and Nadir anyway to fill
                                  > in a gap. Instead of complicating the pan head I will just shoot vertical.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Jim Watters
                                  >
                                  > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                  > http://photocreations.ca <http://photocreations.ca>

                                • Dave 360texas.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 27 7:36 AM
                                    These were taken using Agnos HD pole and a Sigma 8mm full circle
                                    fisheye lens. Only 4 images around. Page has 4 sample image set
                                    for downloading.

                                    http://360texas.com/tips/hpolepano/index.htm

                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jaume Llorens <jaumellorens@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Thanks all for your answers!
                                    > Rodrigo, do you know where could I find the article of Dave
                                    Albright you
                                    > mention... ?
                                    > Jaume
                                    >

                                    > En/na Jim Watters ha escrit:
                                    > >
                                    > > Jaume Llorens wrote:
                                    > > > Does anybody use a 10.5mm to shot pole panos.. ? At some step,
                                    you will
                                    > > > have to downolad the camera from the pole to turn it to the
                                    vertical.
                                    > > > Isn't it.. ?
                                    > > >
                                    > > I shoot with the D70s and 10.5mm on a pole.
                                    > > My current custom pan head rotates the camera about 30 deg and
                                    tilts it
                                    > > down about 7 deg.
                                    > > I shoot 6 around + 2U + 1D
                                    > > The bottom corner of each image captures part of the bottom of
                                    the pole.
                                    > > This make for a larger zenith to fill in and requires two shots.
                                    Often
                                    > > I can get away with this at ground level.
                                    > > I almost always shot a nadir off axis to remove me and my shadow.
                                    > >
                                    > > Here are some examples using this setup.
                                    > > http://photocreations.ca/saundersfarm/sf05.html#PAN
                                    > > <http://photocreations.ca/saundersfarm/sf05.html#PAN>
                                    > > http://photocreations.ca/tulip/tulip14.html#PAN
                                    > > <http://photocreations.ca/tulip/tulip14.html#PAN>
                                    > >
                                    > > For my pole and pan head see: My Pole PandHead 2
                                    > > http://photocreations.ca/equipment/index.html
                                    > > <http://photocreations.ca/equipment/index.html>
                                    > >
                                    > > I am currently working on a motorized pan head. This one will
                                    not be
                                    > > tilted and rotated. The diagonal FoV of the 10.5mm on the D70s
                                    should
                                    > > give 180 deg. With the manual rotation of the pole I get too much
                                    > > parallax error and require to shoot the Zenith and Nadir anyway
                                    to fill
                                    > > in a gap. Instead of complicating the pan head I will just shoot
                                    vertical.

                                    > > --
                                    > > Jim Watters
                                    > >
                                    > > jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                                    > > http://photocreations.ca <http://photocreations.ca>

                                  • Jaume LLorens [eldimoni.com]
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 27 8:03 AM
                                      Thanks Dave,
                                      Your method will be useful with a 8mm.
                                      Using my 10.5mm the hole will be great.
                                      There is not a magic solution. In some step will necessary to take the
                                      camera and move it by hand to shot nadir or zenith.. Like Rodrigo or Jim
                                      does..
                                      Jaume

                                      En/na Dave 360texas.com ha escrit: