Chimney stack panorama

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      I live in London. On July 20th, when so much of the country was being
      washed away, my house didn't get flooded... but it did get struck by
      lightning!

      Today I went up the scaffolding rigged up so the builders cold make
      it safe, and I shot a few panoramas. Here's the first one, shot from
      right beside the remains of the chimney:

      http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/chimney+pano+small.mov.html

      Keith
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        On 8/1/2007 9:33 AM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
        > I live in London. On July 20th, when so much of the country was being
        > washed away, my house didn't get flooded... but it did get struck by
        > lightning!
        >
        > Today I went up the scaffolding rigged up so the builders cold make
        > it safe, and I shot a few panoramas. Here's the first one, shot from
        > right beside the remains of the chimney:
        >
        > http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/chimney+pano+small.mov.html

        Cool! Were you in the house at the time, if so, how loud was the
        lightning strike?

        > Keith

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          Sometime around 2/8/07 (at 02:47 -0700) Pat Swovelin said:

          > > http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/chimney+pano+small.mov.html
          >
          >Cool! Were you in the house at the time, if so, how loud was the
          >lightning strike?

          Me, no. I was actually taking panos at a festival at the time (well,
          I was attempting to; the rain and mud was incredible) - but my wife
          and younger son were in the house at the time.
          She said it was ridiculously loud and that she felt it as much as
          heard it. Her eyes were closed tight at the time (she was showering),
          but she said she still saw an incredibly bright flash.
          The house filled with soot (so much for the shower!), both our
          fireplaces were pushed an inch from the wall, and a number of things
          - mainly the wired networked stuff, but also my lovely amplifier
          (sob) - were fried.

          (But it isn't a total disaster - the insurance company says they'll
          cover it all.)

          I shot two more panos while I was on the scaffolding, and I've just
          added them to that gallery: http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/

          They aren't as dramatic as the one with the chimney close-up, but the
          third was taken over the space where the ladder is. I think the nadir
          patch worked fairly well.

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            On 8/2/2007 5:55 AM, Keith Martin rambled on about ...:
            > Sometime around 2/8/07 (at 02:47 -0700) Pat Swovelin said:
            >
            >> > http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/chimney+pano+small.mov.html
            >>
            >> Cool! Were you in the house at the time, if so, how loud was the
            >> lightning strike?
            >
            > Me, no. I was actually taking panos at a festival at the time (well,
            > I was attempting to; the rain and mud was incredible) -

            Look, if it didn't rain at Glastonbury the British economy would
            collapse in all of the confusion of music *and* sunshine at the same
            time. =8^)

            > but my wife
            > and younger son were in the house at the time.
            > She said it was ridiculously loud and that she felt it as much as
            > heard it. Her eyes were closed tight at the time (she was showering),
            > but she said she still saw an incredibly bright flash.

            Wow! How old is your son and did you talk to him about it? If so what
            did he have to say?

            > The house filled with soot (so much for the shower!),

            It was probably a plot by the local vacuum cleaner salesman.

            > both our
            > fireplaces were pushed an inch from the wall, and a number of things
            > - mainly the wired networked stuff, but also my lovely amplifier
            > (sob) - were fried.

            Did you have any computers turned on and were they projected by surge
            protectors?

            > (But it isn't a total disaster - the insurance company says they'll
            > cover it all.)

            Great ... then you *did* have a couple of computers plugged in, didn't
            you? Ahem, didn't you? =8^)

            > I shot two more panos while I was on the scaffolding, and I've just
            > added them to that gallery: http://www.thehelpful.com/photos/v/family/
            >
            > They aren't as dramatic as the one with the chimney close-up, but the
            > third was taken over the space where the ladder is. I think the nadir
            > patch worked fairly well.

            Yes except you didn't blend all of the wood ... some of it looks new.

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large